Celtic v super saints 30/01/21

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It looks like 3-5-1-1 with a central midfield of Erharon Macpherson and McAllister plus 2 wingers and 3 at the back. Presumably McGrath behind Dennis. That midfield could get raped !!!

Shit, I didn't even clock Tait wasn't in. 

Right. Interesting.

I'm not overly impressed with that line up to be honest. It feels like he might have bombed this game to keep certain players fresh for some of the upcoming home games this month, and give some guys some minutes.

I actually fancied us to do something today, so seeing that team is a bit disappointing.

People moaning on Twitter that Flynn isn’t starting. Never expected him to. Played a full 90 mins on Wed so we need to manage his workload so he doesn’t suffer any setbacks.

But yeah, looks like 3 at the back. Odd.

That's a random line-up. The only bit that isn't a surprise is Flynn on the bench as asking him to start twice in four days after so long out was always pushing it.

Goodwin seems to have decided if we don't know what our tactics are then there's no way Celtic will be able to work out what we're doing.

5 minutes ago, ulysses said:

People moaning on Twitter that Flynn isn’t starting. Never expected him to. Played a full 90 mins on Wed so we need to manage his workload so he doesn’t suffer any setbacks.

But yeah, looks like 3 at the back. Odd.

Yeah, Twitter's a cesspit.

23 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Looks like a 3 at the back and after that anyone’s guess. No obvious left back, putting Erhahon there would be terrible for him. 3 wingers in the starting 11 as well, looks like Goodwin has taken the opportunity to rest a number of key players for this.

Only way I can see it, but still a baffling decision.

Celtic aren't in particularly great form, have a lame duck manager who has yet to make a signing this window AFAIK, are fragile with set pieces which accounted for our first two goals midweek - I know OK did it a coupla seasons ago but was against a stronger Celtic side and we were in the 💩 then.

It is an odd line up for sure. D-H and Flynn need managing so them being on the bench makes sense, but we could do with another body in there. Is Mason injured or away? Is Tait carrying a knock? Unless Connolly, Durmus and McAllister have been briefed to get stuck in, we are potentially carrying too many passengers when Celtic have the ball.

Alternatively, JG is a tactical genius.

If Goodwin's team selections could be summed up in a movie, it'd be..

5uvluLg.jpg

I'll go with the others, 3-5-2/3-5-1-1 but at least there are options on the bench to change it should (heh, oh, boy..) yeah... should it not work out that well.

Perhaps a nod towards the heavy schedule ahead of us, who knows. The only concerning thing is no Mason at all, which would maybe suggest his issue is more serious than first reported.

Edited by Ric

I mean, yes it's the third game of an extraordinarily heavy month and a bit which encapsulates 12 games in 5 and a half weeks. Yes it's away at Parkhead. Yes Flynn was unlikely to start given his exertions of Wednesday.

But f**k me, that line up absolutely reeks of selection bingo. I hope I'm wrong.

Just now, Doctor Sanchez said:

3 at the back and two wide men in the middle.  Goodwin on the tranny now.  

Mentioned Celtic's midfield diamond and us trying to match them in the midfield and use the two wide men.  

As always, he spoke really well.  Sounded surprisingly up for it.  

Going to be a lot of squad rotation given our hectic schedule. Of the next eight games this is the one we are least likely to get something from, so makes sense to change it up a bit.

Started fairly well. Couple of long range efforts on target from Dennis and McGrath but easily saved. Celtic not offered much.
Looks like a 3-5-2 with Durmus and Connolly as wings backs.