Smelly TV

Sortmeout

Can someone tell me I’m not going completely off my head in and in the mid-90s there was a couple of tv shows where they tried something called smell tv or words to that effect? I’m sure Noel Edmonds house party was one of them. You got a card in the weekends paper and they would tell you to scratch it for a smell at a certain time?

I’m really convinced this happened but my parents, girlfriend etc all think I’m dreaming.

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Can someone tell me I’m not going completely off my head in and in the mid-90s there was a couple of tv shows where they tried something called smell tv or words to that effect? I’m sure Noel Edmonds house party was one of them. You got a card in the weekends paper and they would tell you to scratch it for a smell at a certain time?

I’m really convinced this happened but my parents, girlfriend etc all think I’m dreaming.

Yes, you remember right.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Haha I remember going to Vikingar in the mid 90s and being given a scratch and sniff card so I could get a sense of what a viking latrine would smell like.

Because that is what every schoolkid wants on a school trip.

Most school trips I remember normally featured somebody projectile vomiting twenty minutes into the journey due to travel sickness - by the time you arrived you were well versed in the smells of the Dark Ages anyway so they could have saved their money.

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Most school trips I remember normally featured somebody projectile vomiting twenty minutes into the journey due to travel sickness - by the time you arrived you were well versed in the smells of the Dark Ages anyway so they could have saved their money.

See when I was wee I loved egg Mayo sandwiches and one of my overwhelming memories as a primary school kid is pulling that wee plastic box out on a hot bus on a school and opening that eggy smell into the bus.

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

See when I was wee I loved egg Mayo sandwiches and one of my overwhelming memories as a primary school kid is pulling that wee plastic box out on a hot bus on a school and opening that eggy smell into the bus.

I hope you were bullied.

The Jorvik Viking Centre didn't give you scratch and sniff cards, they just had areas made up to look like a medieval village that actually reeked of dung and rot. Sort of like modern-day <area_of_scotland>, amirite? High five!

Everyone's probably heard of Smell-O-Vision, and John Waters used scratch and sniff cards ("Odorama") as a gimmick on his film Polyester. Unsurprisingly, most of the scents were unpleasant, including shite and sweaty feet. Pretty sure I remember a couple of video games doing something similar. Leisure Suit Larry? Something by Infocom?

I'm told that, for a price, there are certain theatres in the West End of London that will provide a similar experience to this:

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I thought they did something like it in the 80s. I can remember scratching the square with a new mown grass smell on it.

The cover of Meadowbank fanzine "AWOL" once had the words "Now contains Scratch and Sniff Dioxins" written on it.....

Weird how this used to keep popping up every now and then, like 3-D films. Comics in the 80s were always giving away scratch 'n' sniff stuff. I don't ever remember being terribly desperate to smell Dennis the Menace's farts, but for some reason they thought we were.

Surely it's an idea that's died now, outside of adverts for perfume in women's magazines (according to a mate).

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Weird how this used to keep popping up every now and then, like 3-D films. Comics in the 80s were always giving away scratch 'n' sniff stuff. I don't ever remember being terribly desperate to smell Dennis the Menace's farts, but for some reason they thought we were.

Surely it's an idea that's died now, outside of adverts for perfume in women's magazines (according to a mate).

Been caught scratching and sniffing the lingerie ads have we? 

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

3D TV in general is something that they just keep trying to make a thing but they just can’t get it right.

Did Sky eventually ditch their 3D channel completely? Watched a couple of games and some golf on it but never really too impressed.