Jump to content

Dundee United vs St Mirren, 27th January


Recommended Posts

Couldn't see a thread, apologies if there is one. 

Obviously we suffered a disappointing performance and result at the weekend (where the definition of 'weekend' is a period of time that stretches back over the past five games) so need to dust ourselves down, find a working formation, play people in their natural positions and try to take the game to United. 

Close results between us this season; the 2-1 at Tannadice was, as it turns out, at the height of our Covid affliction, with Zlamal in goal. From memory, I don't feel the game was that actually close and I was fairly impressed with United that day; obviously less impressed with Tait completely losing his head. I literally can't remember anything about the 0-0 at our place.

For absolutely inexplicable reasons, Bet365 currently have us as favourites for this, which is mental. Gamblers should be all over the home win at those prices.

image.thumb.png.edd7cd709093a59303334ede8bc6bf49.png

Edited by Coventry Saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless we are awarded a penalty, or they score an OG, don’t see where an away goal is coming from. Everything points towards Goodwin setting up negatively, seeing an away game at Tannadice as a fixture to ‘keep things tight’. My take on it is that Jim sees far too many fixtures in the same light as going away to Ibrox or Parkhead. As always, hope to be completely wrong, but I can’t see past a home win by maybe 1-0, after a 90 minute shitfest of huffing and puffing from us, without us ever getting near their house, much less being able to blow it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"the lads are hurting" / "they want to give something back to the fans" / "they have a point to prove" / "we want to show our quality"

Obviously if this was a battle of how good looking the managers are, then we'd run out double figure winners. Goodwin looking like a Greek god, Mellon looking like someone put out a fire on his face with a shovel. As, instead, it'll be down to the boring, and let's be honest here - vastly unfair, method of who scores the most goals then the result may be less emphatic in our favour.

In continuing my philhellenist metaphor, perhaps the task ahead isn't quite as Sisyphean as my fellow stripe loving contributors have postulated even taking into consideration the literal inclination of the pitch.

 

Edited by Ric
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The gossip is that Quaner will still be unavailable so I'd start with Obika mainly for his energy. I'd also be looking for JG to shuffle the pack to get a bit lot more dig into the midfield compared to Sunday. 

Let's get it on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, btb said:

The gossip is that Quaner will still be unavailable so I'd start with Obika mainly for his energy. I'd also be looking for JG to shuffle the pack to get a bit lot more dig into the midfield compared to Sunday. 

Let's get it on...

Quaner is the new Chabbi. You heard it here first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’re not in dire straits as some would have you believe. With MacPherson out for this, I’d like to see Goodwin go for a straight 4-4-2 in this one with the normal goalkeeper and defence and a forward thinking combination of:
Connolly - McGrath - Erhahon - Durmus
Brophy - Obika

We would miss McGrath being further up the park but he can do a job in the centre of midfield but I feel he is a better option in there than Foley or Flynn. I think Goodwin could be tempted to make a few changes with the run of games we have coming up it’s just whether he does it here or at Parkhead on Saturday. We are midweek/Saturday for the next 4 weeks so it will likely take its toll on the squad hopefully we avoid any unnecessary suspensions or injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

We’re not in dire straits as some would have you believe. With MacPherson out for this, I’d like to see Goodwin go for a straight 4-4-2 in this one with the normal goalkeeper and defence and a forward thinking combination of:
Connolly - McGrath - Erhahon - Durmus
Brophy - Obika

We would miss McGrath being further up the park but he can do a job in the centre of midfield but I feel he is a better option in there than Foley or Flynn. I think Goodwin could be tempted to make a few changes with the run of games we have coming up it’s just whether he does it here or at Parkhead on Saturday. We are midweek/Saturday for the next 4 weeks so it will likely take its toll on the squad hopefully we avoid any unnecessary suspensions or injuries.

I agree with all that; looks a decent line-up. I don't actually think we'll miss McGrath being further up the pitch. He really doesn't create that much... But he does have the work rate and the tenacity to play a deeper role. Plus, he can actually turn and move the ball along in tight spaces, so that role could be perfect for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ric said:

"the lads are hurting" / "they want to give something back to the fans" / "they have a point to prove" / "we want to show our quality"

 

 

Unfortunately for you the boys have been working hard all week and we feel we just need that little bit of quality in the final third and things are going to start coming together. There's a real good buzz about the group.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looked at the betting tomorrow night it's just plain wrong.

Saints below Utd in the league and in honking form, no wins this year, coming off a demoralising cup semi defeat away at a venue we have a dreadful record at. Just no way we are favs never mind heavy favs. Utd at 2/1 seems as ludicrous as the 6/4 about Saints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...