P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

madwullie beats purplekangaroo89 by resignation.

It was a really even game and then for some reason @craigkillie didn't take my queen during what I thought would be the Queen exchange and although mine was a goner a few moves later, she'd already been able to do enough damage to tip the game in my favour I think.

Good game mate 🤝 

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

madwullie beats purplekangaroo89 by resignation.

It was a really even game and then for some reason @craigkillie didn't take my queen during what I thought would be the Queen exchange and although mine was a goner a few moves later, she'd already been able to do enough damage to tip the game in my favour I think.

Good game mate 🤝 

I fucked up with that - had calculated out a couple of lines in my head and then played the move I was going to play if you took my queen with your queen rather than your bishop.

Division C Round 5, GordonS496 beats Dandies1983.

Think you caused yourself problems by castling queenside when all your pieces were kingside and I had two open files on that side with space for my queen, rook and both bishops to cause trouble.

That engine is a Deputy Downer. You think you played alright and then it tells you "yeah, not really pal. Look at everything you missed."

Division C
Round 6
AimHere beats markf268 by resignation. A shame that the last move blundered into a fork, since if he made the right move (Nd8), working out how to continue the attack was an interesting puzzle.
The lesson here is not to make moves around a Rovers game!

Division A 

ChessBassGuitar and Elrohana draw 

A Scotch Gambit that went 'by the book' for a long time. I had an opportunity for a big advantage but screwed it up, leaving us in a position where I suspect I was better but not good enough to win against an opponent who I think is stronger than me. GG. 

ChessBassGuirar vs Elrohana - draw by agreement.

No-one was ever ahead in material after a turn - he always had the slight edge playing white. It was a real battle playing as black and I knew I had to get the Queens off the board - fortunately his one mistake allowed me to do that.

I sat and explored various lines to see what would happen after that final check on the King - they all led down the same path - draw by repetition as I controlled the only column where he could get at my pawns - if he had tried to advance his King to attack the pawns I had a simple blocking pawn. Advancing his A or H pawns ended up with the same result Both bishops were same colour so it was clear where the game was heading.

A real good game that had me scratching my head at times.

Screenshot_20210502-084424_Chess.thumb.jpg.53b1ea45269a7ac14fea6c17d739a6f3.jpgScreenshot_20210502-084434_Chess.thumb.jpg.f78972709e8ed3b70add5e8a58a918c3.jpg

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
21 hours ago, Aim Here said:
Division C
Round 6
AimHere beats markf268 by resignation. A shame that the last move blundered into a fork, since if he made the right move (Nd8), working out how to continue the attack was an interesting puzzle.

The lesson here is not to make moves around a Rovers game!

Good plan. I'm timing all my moves around the opposing player's team's fixtures from now on.

Division A 

Elrohana and Dearyme - draw by agreement.

Given how strong Elrohana is. I played my favourite as black (the Scandinavian) in which black looks passive but with a solid pawn structure and has good chances for counter play (especially if white goes wrong). As it went, there was never any material in it until Elrohana took a pawn on g7 with his Knight late on. I could have picked up a pawn in compensation but preferred to leave my Queen and Rook looking a bit more active.

I felt had to be quite precise in the middle game into ending but managed to get the draw. Tough tough game.

I look forward to the rematch when I've got the white pieces.

Division A 
Elrohana and Dearyme - draw by agreement.
Given how strong Elrohana is. I played my favourite as black (the Scandinavian) in which black looks passive but with a solid pawn structure and has good chances for counter play (especially if white goes wrong). As it went, there was never any material in it until Elrohana took a pawn on g7 with his Knight late on. I could have picked up a pawn in compensation but preferred to leave my Queen and Rook looking a bit more active.
I felt had to be quite precise in the middle game into ending but managed to get the draw. Tough tough game.
I look forward to the rematch when I've got the white pieces.

What DearyMe missed out was that this was a draw by bairn.

I was playing on my laptop - was considering the draw but went to the toilet - came back to discover my 6 year old granddaughter had played the move below:Screenshot_20210502-104115_Chess.thumb.jpg.f588dcc1e17715a441d0e295c4381e9f.jpg

DearyMe knew something was up and offered the draw - I explained what happened.

I did the double check on the position and indeed was a draw - if he had taken my pawn it was still a draw.

Tough, tough opponent.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

ChessBassGuirar vs Elrohana - draw by agreement.

No-one was ever ahead in material after a turn - he always had the slight edge playing white. It was a real battle playing as black and I knew I had to get the Queens off the board - fortunately his one mistake allowed me to do that.

I sat and explored various lines to see what would happen after that final check on the King - they all led down the same path - draw by repetition as I controlled the only column where he could get at my pawns - if he had tried to advance his King to attack the pawns I had a simple blocking pawn. Advancing his A or H pawns ended up with the same result Both bishops were same colour so it was clear where the game was heading.

A real good game that had me scratching my head at times.

Screenshot_20210502-084424_Chess.thumb.jpg.53b1ea45269a7ac14fea6c17d739a6f3.jpgScreenshot_20210502-084434_Chess.thumb.jpg.f78972709e8ed3b70add5e8a58a918c3.jpg

It was a good game but I think its reinforced that the Scotch game isn't really for me. Despite playing it rather well I didn't really enjoy any of my positions. 

I think I'm coming to the realisation that after 25 years of playing e4 I might want to switch to d4.  Scary times. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What DearyMe missed out was that this was a draw by bairn.

I was playing on my laptop - was considering the draw but went to the toilet - came back to discover my 6 year old granddaughter had played the move below:Screenshot_20210502-104115_Chess.thumb.jpg.f588dcc1e17715a441d0e295c4381e9f.jpg

DearyMe knew something was up and offered the draw - I explained what happened.

I did the double check on the position and indeed was a draw - if he had taken my pawn it was still a draw.

Tough, tough opponent.

I must remember this excuse. 🤣 Very Dick Campbell.

Edited by Leicesterlichtie

2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Div A week 2

Ziggy beats AH13STU 

Tight game, not a massive difference between the 2 sides until the away team ran out of steam with Ziggy managing to score an injury time winner. Well played.

Yeah it had draw written all over it until you exchanged the last rooks. 

It was an enjoyable endgame. I can’t remember the last game an opponent was in zugzwang.

Edited by Ziggy

@DeeTillEhDeh clearly the Mourinho of the chess world with excuses like that for not usurping the great Sir Lud.. I mean Alex's career.

Meanwhile, I'm keep up to date on latest proceedings in my joyful retirement:

beirutbeats | Lawn Sports | Page 2

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:
I must remember this excuse. emoji1787.png Very Dick Campbell.

To be fair he picked up something had happened before I said anything.

Aye, it was pretty clear that something untoward had happened. 

Lads I'm so sorry. Some irl stuff has come up which means I'm not going to have the time to fulfill my matches. I don't know whether you just want to scratch me from games from now and award my previous opponents this season wins or whatever. But I'm going to have to withdraw now. Sorry @Frank Grimes and thanks everyone for the matches 🙏 🤝