P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

5 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

While I’m on Chess Admin duty now is the time to say if you DON’T want to be involved in the Scottish Cup

I’m out if it’s 960.

I’m confused enough.

The battle of Gayfield  in Division A but  i think chess will have to take a back seat for  [mention=63430]Leicesterlichtie[/mention]  and myself tonight, far more important matters to concentrate on tonight.
Same here for myself and Dearyme.

Quite an interesting game as well - 12 moves in, each a pawn down, and both of us castled Queenside.

6 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

While I’m on Chess Admin duty now is the time to say if you DON’T want to be involved in the Scottish Cup

Might pull out as well tbh. It's enough mental strain having two games in Div A going at the same time as it is.

4 hours ago, keptie said:

The battle of Gayfield  in Division A but  i think chess will have to take a back seat for  @Leicesterlichtie  and myself tonight, far more important matters to concentrate on tonight.

That was certainly a bit of a chess match. Only one piece was taken from the pitch. I'm sure our battle will be much better.

7 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

That was certainly a bit of a chess match. Only one piece was taken from the pitch. I'm sure our battle will be much better.

It probably will be from your point of view.....must admit this is one tough league .

59 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

What is 960? Is this what we play in the cup? I'm scared and buzzing all at once 🤣

The pawns are set up normally but the major pieces are set up randomly behind them, quite enjoyed playing in the 960 format in the cup being a bit different from the normal set up 

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Same here for myself and Dearyme.

Quite an interesting game as well - 12 moves in, each a pawn down, and both of us castled Queenside.

Had a look and yeah definitely an interesting start.

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

What is 960? Is this what we play in the cup? I'm scared and buzzing all at once 🤣

As keptie says, the pawns are all the same but the major pieces are scattered on the back rank. They're not quite random as the king will have the rooks somewhere either side, to make castling possible, and black and white mirror each other. The idea is that it takes away the benefit of learning opening moves, as there are 960 possible different combinations of starting set-up - which is why it's called chess 960.

It should create a more level field between those with experience and those without, and reward good play rather than memory.

You can practice it against the computer - if you chose Custom settings when starting the game against a bot, you can choose Chess 960 under Type. 

As keptie says, the pawns are all the same but the major pieces are scattered on the back rank. They're not quite random as the king will have the rooks somewhere either side, to make castling possible, and black and white mirror each other. The idea is that it takes away the benefit of learning opening moves, as there are 960 possible different combinations of starting set-up - which is why it's called chess 960.
It should create a more level field between those with experience and those without, and reward good play rather than memory.
You can practice it against the computer - if you chose Custom settings when starting the game against a bot, you can choose Chess 960 under Type. 

It can also lead to some very quick mates if you don't pay full attention.

As someone who is not big on standard openings, but prefers to look at each move on its merits, I like it.

Really sorry but I reckon I'm going to have to withdraw, away with work at the moment and the signal can be intermittent which leads to me taking ages to get games in, really, really, really sorry x

Division C

Round 6

AimHere beats markf268 by resignation. A shame that the last move blundered into a fork, since if he made the right move (Nd8), working out how to continue the attack was an interesting puzzle.