P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The drama ongoing in the Chess world is a sight to be hold.

Hikaru Nakamura, Ben Finegold, the Botez sisters and Chessbrahs all involved.

It culminated in a video being leaked of Hikaru Nakamura getting choked out in one of the worst fights I've ever watched.

Good times.

They should totally be on P&B.

In fact maybe they are.

54 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

In the chess world to which we all aspire, the Candidates Tournament resumes tomorrow having been halted half way through due to covid back in March 2020. The winner will face Magnus Carlsen for the right to be called world champion. MVL and Nepomniachtchi are one point ahead of a field including world number two Fabiano Caruana.

Also starting this month is the next round of the Champions Chess Tour which has been a huge success so far. The lineup for this one is a bit unusual due to the scheduling conflict and the nine wildcards include fifteen-year-old Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa who won the qualifying tournament.

That's all irrelevant compared with the P&B league.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 1, GordonS496 beats cols407.

A tough, close match with only one move really making the difference. Also featuring a scary king v pawn chase after a trade of queens. I think I got lucky getting you early.

ETA - engine says I made a blunder in a move that I really think played a big part in me winning the game. I can't work out why it thinks its suggestion would be better, which is probably why I'm in Division C...

Post a link to the game and the move and I'll take a look if you like. 

Normally, though, if you just follow the engine suggestions all should become clear. 

Division C Round 2, GordonS496 beats RBWatson.

Two pieces up after some nice opening work, swanning about up the queenside, cigars out, and it was only sheer blind luck that meant I wasn't checkmated by a queen zooming across the board. If I hadn't coincidentally moved my own queen before, giving my king space to run away, I would have been done.

I'll be locking the boys in the dressing room and throwing pizza at them for an hour after that one.

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 2, GordonS496 beats RBWatson.

Two pieces up after some nice opening work, swanning about up the queenside, cigars out, and it was only sheer blind luck that meant I wasn't checkmated by a queen zooming across the board. If I hadn't coincidentally moved my own queen before, giving my king space to run away, I would have been done.

I'll be locking the boys in the dressing room and throwing pizza at them for an hour after that one

That was me flailing wildly after your waltz down the queenside was met by Ayr United style defending.  Unlike David Hopkin, I'll be dropping Jack Baird like a stone.

Well played.

29 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

That was me flailing wildly after your waltz down the queenside was met by Ayr United style defending.  Unlike David Hopkin, I'll be dropping Jack Baird like a stone.

Well played.

It was wild flailing that I never saw coming and very nearly won. Good game.

12 hours ago, Loki said:

GCarlos9 defeats Arabjoe by resignation.

A poor start to the season for Arabjoe - starting the game during the Forfar v DUFC match was a big mistake and it was impossible to recover from a daft start. 

Division B, Round 1

GCarlos9 beats Arabjoe

Bounced back with a checkmate win over @Richey Edwards.  Good game.

Division B, Round 2

Arabjoe beats RicheyEdwards  

On 17/04/2021 at 18:45, Stellaboz said:

Mackieboz beats Dieharddoonhamer by resignation.

Just managed to bring myself to look at the game report of this. Tbh, I lost this one really early when I gave up a bishop when I should at least have traded it off with yours. I never recovered from that point, and you were pretty much flawless (other than one missed opportunity to kill me off sooner). 

You've certainly improved massively since our first game last season. I'm still shite.

Well played.

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Bounced back with a checkmate win over @Richey Edwards.  Good game.

Division B, Round 2

Arabjoe beats RicheyEdwards  

Good game. It was looking like an even game before that checkmate. I was raging because I hadn't noticed that coming. 😂

Well played mate.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've got an outstanding fixture against Strachanovski

If I issue a challenge do I select

I Play as  "Random"?

image.thumb.png.4974b84881db218c96a150cf86eeb61b.png

The idea is that if you're playing a "home" game in the fixture list (i.e. Topcat vs Strachanovski) you play as white. If it's listed as Strachanovski vs Topcat, you play as black.

11 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Early season blues for AH13STU as he comes up against a possessed madwullie and ends up getting smashed.

Well played sir!

Thanks mate. Must admit I was a bit surprised at the resignation. There was a lot of chess left I thought? 🤝 

31 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Thanks mate. Must admit I was a bit surprised at the resignation. There was a lot of chess left I thought? 🤝 

I think you go 2 pieces up after Ne2. I lose knight next to king followed by bishop.

Not exactly sure where I lost it, as I've not bothered to go through it yet but your knights seemed to work in tandem pretty well.

You've certainly come on a lot from our earlier encounters. Maybe I should also have fewer games on the go at once. Could be a bit of a hindrance.

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

I think you go 2 pieces up after Ne2. I lose knight next to king followed by bishop.

Not exactly sure where I lost it, as I've not bothered to go through it yet but your knights seemed to work in tandem pretty well.

You've certainly come on a lot from our earlier encounters. Maybe I should also have fewer games on the go at once. Could be a bit of a hindrance.

That's what really made the difference for me mate. Early on I was playing both league games plus usually a friendly at once. It was just to much to concentrate and focus on. 

I've definitely improved through playing more too, but just playing the one league game at a time really helps the form - it's too easy to get mixed up, or be thinking of the wrong game, or just simply miss something because you're not laser focused enough.