P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Division C's top of the table clash in round 7 had GordonS496 and AimHere drawing even. An Albin countergambit and an ill-advised rook-for-knight swap left me slightly down materialwise and I didn't have quite enough oomph in attack to actually win the game, even with a well-passed pawn, so I had to resort to forcing a draw by repetition, rather than leaving GordonS with enough time to put his rooks and queen into action.

GordonS ½ - ½ AimHere

I was really surprised when the game automatically ended by repetition because I wasn't repeating the same move, I was alternating between moving out of check to h and f. I've no idea how that works then.

I'd just like to state for the record that you're a big cowardy custard. Down here in the seaside leagues we play to win! Forcing a draw when you've got 500 ranking points on me... And if you'd seen how I lost my last game, you'd have played on. My confidence was shot after that.

As the queen's gambit is the only opening I've bothered to learn I've faced the Albin a few times, but pawn to f6 was new to me. I couldn't see a better move than taking it, even though it allowed you to bring a piece out and basically put you ahead on development. The engine doesn't like it but it caused me more trouble than anything else that early in the opening as white.

I don't understand the engine on our game, for either of us. It says you made 3 blunders but they don't look like blunders to me. 

Anyway, GG, looking forward to the reverse fixture.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I was really surprised when the game automatically ended by repetition because I wasn't repeating the same move, I was alternating between moving out of check to h and f. I've no idea how that works then.

I'd just like to state for the record that you're a big cowardy custard. Down here in the seaside leagues we play to win! Forcing a draw when you've got 500 ranking points on me... And if you'd seen how I lost my last game, you'd have played on. My confidence was shot after that.

As the queen's gambit is the only opening I've bothered to learn I've faced the Albin a few times, but pawn to f6 was new to me. I couldn't see a better move than taking it, even though it allowed you to bring a piece out and basically put you ahead on development. The engine doesn't like it but it caused me more trouble than anything else that early in the opening as white.

I don't understand the engine on our game, for either of us. It says you made 3 blunders but they don't look like blunders to me. 

Anyway, GG, looking forward to the reverse fixture.

Draw by repetition happens when the same position happens for a third time in the game, regardless of how many moves have gone between each instance.

15 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Draw by repetition happens when the same position happens for a third time in the game, regardless of how many moves have gone between each instance.

Ah, thanks. I had thought it was just a repeated move, not the position. 

29 minutes ago, GordonS said:

My Elo ranking is a nonsense, because the only daily games I've played are the other 6 games against Division C people - a handful of games against low-rated players that I all beat and the algorithm is smart enough to assign me a high variance because of that. I lost 111 points for drawing you - it would have been about 300 if I'd lost! Anyways, I play the position on the board, not the number beside the other player's name, and my position was increasingly unsalvageable. If you'd moved your king instead of taking my last knight, I might have had the option of playing for a win, but you shut that option down, so I went with the best moves I had! 

Also, you won't goad me into playing recklessly just because you call me a coward, either. I'm onto you and your tricksy psychological skullduggery!

Hah. TBH, by the time I played that, I was well past any opening knowledge of the Albin that I might have had. I just figured I was doing a gambit, so I want pieces developed fast, and that looked like the way to do it! The engine's preferred move seems to be to lock my dark squared bishop in with a knight that has fewer good squares to move on to, and there's no way I'm playing that!

Edited by Aim Here

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

You won't goad me into playing recklessly just because you call me a coward, either. I'm onto you and your tricksy psychological skullduggery!

My ambition is to send you full Kevin Keegan before we next meet.

Hah. TBH, by the time I played that, I was well past any opening knowledge of the Albin that I might have had. I just figured I was doing a gambit, so I want pieces developed fast, and that looked like the way to do it! The engine's preferred move seems to be to lock my dark squared bishop in with a knight that has fewer good squares to move on to, and there's no way I'm playing that!

I agree, the move you played pretty much steals a tempo and the other lines are more restricted. It also strengthens that charging pawn, which is the best thing about Albin. 

In the battle of the Lichties, [mention=43274]keptie[/mention] comes out on top. Never got going following a QGA where I ended up 2 pawns down and black playing with a diamond formation on the queenside against my sweeper left on his own.
Well played.
Having second season syndrome. [emoji1787]
Kept expecting you to pull something out the bag but I managed to keep hold of the small advantage I had. QGA btw?

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cardinalrichie 0-1 Eindhovendee

While I was concentrating on trying to steal a pawn or two, Eindhoven was very much focused on giving me a good shoeing, which he did with aplomb. 

It was when you moved your Queen to g8 to take my rook that it went wrong for you, up till then I felt you were on top. It got kind of stuck in that corner till my other rook got the chance to have its wicked way.

GG

On 09/05/2021 at 10:26, Aim Here said:

Division C, Round 8

AimHere beats mackieboz through resignation after a couple of careless one-move blunders. Division C players really should check that they're not about to accidentally throw pieces/the game away before committing to a move! They have plenty of time.

The same presumably holds for Division A and B but I've no experience of playing those guys yet.

I've definitely noticed Division A games are taking longer. Some folk obviously are available to play quicker games more than others but on average, the move time in Div A has been a fair bit longer. @Henderson to deliver ..... has probably been the only opponent who's been particularly fast with his moves.

That bit of extra time to think is probably the difference between quite a few players. There were a couple of players in Div B last season that would play very good, solid chess for the majority of the game and then almost chuck the game with a quick move that ended up being a blunder. Haven't really seen that in Div A so far.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I've definitely noticed Division A games are taking longer. Some folk obviously are available to play quicker games more than others but on average, the move time in Div A has been a fair bit longer. @Henderson to deliver ..... has probably been the only opponent who's been particularly fast with his moves.

That bit of extra time to think is probably the difference between quite a few players. There were a couple of players in Div B last season that would play very good, solid chess for the majority of the game and then almost chuck the game with a quick move that ended up being a blunder. Haven't really seen that in Div A so far.

It's your move m8.tenor-132.gif.1f992872c5f507208e03a474baad39c4.gif

But aye, games last a lot longer in Div A. Some weeks I was done both my games by Saturday night last season. Suppose most folk returning to work will make a difference. I've been off last 3 days so have been doing plenty of analysing.

6 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's your move m8.tenor-132.gif.1f992872c5f507208e03a474baad39c4.gif

But aye, games last a lot longer in Div A. Some weeks I was done both my games by Saturday night last season. Suppose most folk returning to work will make a difference. I've been off last 3 days so have been doing plenty of analysing.

You're a bad influence on me. I'm trying to resist the urge to just fire off instinctive moves but I quite like quick, attacking games. Already already got myself into trouble with that first Queen move a while back when I definitely should have seen it was easily defended. Got a tricky decision to make against PurpleKangaroo before I get back to our game.

I had enough time last season to play against the computer a bit or watch a few chess tutorials and stuff towards the end of the week. This season I've been in backlog since week 2.

19 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

You're a bad influence on me. I'm trying to resist the urge to just fire off instinctive moves but I quite like quick, attacking games. Already already got myself into trouble with that first Queen move a while back when I definitely should have seen it was easily defended. Got a tricky decision to make against PurpleKangaroo before I get back to our game.

I had enough time last season to play against the computer a bit or watch a few chess tutorials and stuff towards the end of the week. This season I've been in backlog since week 2.

Some folk only like to play one game at a time too, which is fair enough. I've usually got a few on the go, but it's easy to get sloppy. Played a guy the other day who had over 80 daily games on the go at once.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Some folk only like to play one game at a time too, which is fair enough. I've usually got a few on the go, but it's easy to get sloppy. Played a guy the other day who had over 80 daily games on the go at once.

Fucking hell. I'm getting better at having 2 or 3 on the go now. Usually have to replay the last two or three moves if I'm coming back to it form other games.