P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

From out of nowhere!!!!

Division C

Round 6

Johnnydun418 beats GordonS496.

@GordonS

Good game mate that last move surprised me as much as it surprised you I bet!

Screenshot_20210506-113659_Samsung Internet.jpg

How the fuckety fucking f**k did I not see that coming. That's possibly my worst checkmate ever.

If anyone needs me I'll just be away killing myself. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

What's the policy on winning on time?

Because I've just won one of my games on time, but tbh I'm not sure I want to have won a game that way. I'd rather win because I actually won.

You'll be entitled to claim a win, but instead you could contact your opponent and suggest you both replay the same moves until you get to the position it timed out at. Then play it out to a finish.

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Points are yours Richey, that's the rules.

I'm due to play you next. Happy to take a rain-check if you're busy hunting Bigfoot or whatever you're up to, mate?

23 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm due to play you next. Happy to take a rain-check if you're busy hunting Bigfoot or whatever you're up to, mate?

Bring it on, in the middle of a battle with eindhovendee at the moment, after that though, no problemo.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

What's the policy on winning on time?

Because I've just won one of my games on time, but tbh I'm not sure I want to have won a game that way. I'd rather win because I actually won.

If someone can’t make one move in 24 hours that’s their own fault.  You win in other chess formats if their timer runs out. 

26 minutes ago, gkneil said:

@Leicesterlichtie defeats gkneil by resignation.

A hell of a slog that one, and one I’m disappointed to have not got anything from.

great game min

An intense six pointer. Tbf, you were on top for most of the game until I managed to pin queenie. Still wasn't sure I'd be able to make inroads on your kingside. Was definitely on last gap attack option at the end, relied on you blocking check with rook allowing me a chance to move my king into a better position.

You certainly deserved something and I only refused your draw offer as I was sure I could still manage a win.

Good effort pal.

10 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

RicheyEdwards beats Hammysgettinpumped by timeout.

GG. Not how I wanted to get my first league win, but oh well.

Fair lad sorry about that I made a move before I started at the election but never pressed to confirm the move 😂

56 minutes ago, 101 said:

Fair lad sorry about that I made a move before I started at the election but never pressed to confirm the move 😂

^^^
Keir Starmer.

Div 1, week 5.

Beef2711 draws with Ziggy.

According to the computer analysis I had an accuracy of 98.1% so I’m a bit disappointed not to have won  however Beef had a score of 99% and out of his 44 moves, 31 were considered the best move, 8 were excellent, 2 were good & 3 were book.

It’s no wonder I couldn’t win (and I really tried).

Very well played mate, I’m looking forward to the rematch.

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

Div 1, week 5.

According to the computer analysis I had an accuracy of 98.1% so I’m a bit disappointed not to have won  however Beef had a score of 99% and out of his 44 moves, 31 were considered the best move, 8 were excellent, 2 were good & 3 were book.

99% vs 98.1%? Sheesh, You guys aren't both just turning stockfish on and having the computer play itself are you?

7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Div 1, week 5.

Aye tough match. Changed the opening up a bit as I know you sometimes do a bit prep, but in both this game and against @DeeTillEhDehI've been pretty passive as white, never in any danger of being overwhelmed, but never putting any big pressure on my opponent.

10 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

99% vs 98.1%? Sheesh, You guys aren't both just turning stockfish on and having the computer play itself are you?

I definitely spend much longer thinking about moves in the p&b league and against stronger opposition. In this game I used the analysis/magnifying glass thing for every move, sometimes playing 7 or 8 shots ahead in all different scenarios. In other games I'll do this sometimes, but usually just wing it. It's why I'm not great at short time controls.

The result of this is a game of manoeuvring bishops and rooks around and exchanging pawns until we agree a draw.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I definitely spend much longer thinking about moves in the p&b league and against stronger opposition. In this game I used the analysis/magnifying glass thing for every move, sometimes playing 7 or 8 shots ahead in all different scenarios. In other games I'll do this sometimes, but usually just wing it. It's why I'm not great at short time controls.

The result of this is a game of manoeuvring bishops and rooks around and exchanging pawns until we agree a draw.

Yeah, I've noticed something similar with my games in the seaside league - my CAPS score tends to be higher than in my rapid games due to the extra thinking time and the ability to come up with deeper combinations (which tend to get missed by the opponents). And instead of the magnifying glass thing, I use a real-life chessboard and push bits of wood around before putting the move into the computer. I'm not sure if that helps avoid blunders or not...