P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Board_stupid beats NotThePars by checkmate.

That's a match I really could've won if I hadn't been trying to pack at the same time and made a fucking stupid idiot mistake of not watching pawns. I genuinely might have donkey brains.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That's a match I really could've won if I hadn't been trying to pack at the same time and made a fucking stupid idiot mistake of not watching pawns. I genuinely might have donkey brains.

I thought I was beaten. After going a piece down I felt I had a decent chance to steal your queen, but you evaded everything. Just as I accepted it wasn't happening the pawn blindness moment happened. I got very lucky.

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

I thought I was beaten. After going a piece down I felt I had a decent chance to steal your queen, but you evaded everything. Just as I accepted it wasn't happening the pawn blindness moment happened. I got very lucky.

It was one of the best games I've played. You were putting tons of pressure on but I was figuring out a way constant to manoeuvre around it. I'm not sure if I could've sustained it even with the advantage but that was a heavy disappointing error. Good game tho, already looking forward to the rematch. I'll be taking a week's annual leave for it though!

How's your general play been?

I remember our first game and you came out all Nelson-bot like - which made it an easy win for me. Our next game was a lot tougher - have you continued to rein in those over-attacking instincts?

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Division A

ChessBassGuitar beats Madwullie. 

Really interesting game, not much in it. Looking forward to analysing it properly with an engine later because I suspect there were loads of things I missed. 

Well played mate. I had a couple of stupid moves that I just made because I couldn't think of anything else to do, and essentially they fucked me.

Really enjoyable although as mentioned earlier the crowded board midgame gives me serious fear - might need to be more aggressive and just kick off some early trades in future ☺ 

🤝 

51 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well played mate. I had a couple of stupid moves that I just made because I couldn't think of anything else to do, and essentially they fucked me.

Really enjoyable although as mentioned earlier the crowded board midgame gives me serious fear - might need to be more aggressive and just kick off some early trades in future ☺ 

🤝

Thanks. 

I quite enjoyed the chaos in the middle, could have gone either way for a long time. 

In contrast, I'm struggling against Dearyme and desperately trying to find some counterplay... 

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

How's your general play been?

I remember our first game and you came out all Nelson-bot like - which made it an easy win for me. Our next game was a lot tougher - have you continued to rein in those over-attacking instincts?

That was course correction I think cause I was very over-cautious when I first started playing. I'll have no idea til I get finished moving down south I think and can start spending a bit more time sitting down and planning and playing. Not enough time to get back in the rhythm I had at my old job where I could skive and play haha!

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Division A

Dearyme beats ChessBassGuitar 

Really struggled for active play. In contrast to my other game I think I liquidated the centre too early. 

I think that's a fair assessment. I still felt it was extremely level. I had to hold the isolated d5 pawn which was an easy target. It was an interesting game as often opposite castling results in a pawn storm on either wing. It was actually only by chance (rather than design) that I noticed your Rook on g5 was in peril.

I decided to go for it straight away but wondered if I could have left it a move or two. This gave me the exchange and then it was a matter of swapping down into a winning ending tbh. If I don't pick up the exchange I have a bit of an initiative but not sure its enough to win.

I've started playing my daily league games on here on a physical board and that seems to help me.

Edited by Trogdor

I'd wondered whether that rook lift was a mistake but the engine doesn't seem to hate it so not sure where the opportunity was for me to not lose it. Think taking the queens off was a mistake. 

The opening was a bit of a weird one, was expecting a Pirc in which case my default plan is to launch my h pawn up the board but it turned into a weird Philidor which is an opening where I feel White should be better but I'm never sure how. Black just seems very solid. 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I'd wondered whether that rook lift was a mistake but the engine doesn't seem to hate it so not sure where the opportunity was for me to not lose it. Think taking the queens off was a mistake. 

The opening was a bit of a weird one, was expecting a Pirc in which case my default plan is to launch my h pawn up the board but it turned into a weird Philidor which is an opening where I feel White should be better but I'm never sure how. Black just seems very solid. 

Yeah, I've not gone through it with an engine as yet. Queens coming off is always an agonising decision. There is no hard and fast rule either, its often a judgement call - style comes into it as well.

The opening is an interesting one... I was actually playing for something else (that Simon Williams has done videos on) but we ended up in a position I'm familiar with. 

I couldn't really play the Scandinavian again as you'd have booked up from our friendly. I often open with d6 against e4 or d4. I like to keep it simple. 

Edited by Trogdor

Beef2711 defeats gkneill via resignation.

White opening with c4, the English, certainly caught me off guard, not something I'm used to playing against or have spent any time looking at. White lost a knight and brought out his queen early doors, unsure if this was a blunder or some tricks, but managed to fend it off and came out the opening 2 pieces up, traded the queens and eventually transposing to 2 rooks and 2 bishops vs 1 rook, 1 bishop before the game ended.

On 28/04/2021 at 22:19, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Beef2711 defeats gkneill via resignation.

White opening with c4, the English, certainly caught me off guard, not something I'm used to playing against or have spent any time looking at. White lost a knight and brought out his queen early doors, unsure if this was a blunder or some tricks, but managed to fend it off and came out the opening 2 pieces up, traded the queens and eventually transposing to 2 rooks and 2 bishops vs 1 rook, 1 bishop before the game ended.

Losing both Knights was intentional and all was going to plan until you played Ne6 in response to my check. I never spotted that, thinking you'd have had to use a bishop and I'd pick your Knight up. I also missed the chance to play Qe5+ a move earlier as your Knight on C6 was pinned by my Bishop. Still, you always had Ne6 and missing that ruined all my plans :( 

Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
beef2711
Elrohana
Dearyme
ChessBassGuitar
GordonEF
madwullie