P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Just by chance I sent you an invite for a friendly last night. I'd put random white/black.

If it's set up with you as white then great if not just reject it and set one up one with you as white.

@GordonS

Yeah, I'll reject and send with me as white.

19 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I've kicked off my game with PurpleKangaroo. 

Can someone restate the "league rules"? How long do I have to complete the match, etc. Can we play multiple games at once? 

It's covered in the opening post, but to answer your questions:

Two weeks to complete a match, one day per move maximum, but try to play quicker than that. In practice I'd say maybe a third to a half of matches are finished within the weekend and the vast majority within a week.

You should be playing your two fixtures at the same time - if you take more than a week to complete games then you can end up with 3 or 4 at the same time.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:
4 hours ago, pleslie99 said:
That would make perfect sense. Ignore my stupidity! emoji1787.png

Although it's a fair question, I don't know who all the folk in the competition are on here.

I think there's a few of the new league members not on the list.

@Frank Grimes could you add me on.

I'm Board_stupid

Thanks

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

AimHere starts off the season by checkmating pleslie999 in Division C

Well and truly pumped is a good way to describe this. Only way is up I suppose!

My biggest frustration is I can see ahead what my opponent Is going to do and generally make an arse of defending it. But can't seem to plan decent attacks myself.

41 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

My biggest frustration is I can see ahead what my opponent Is going to do and generally make an arse of defending it. But can't seem to plan decent attacks myself.

I think with that game, your main issue was not checking for checks/captures/threats or if you did, not taking action to deal with them. I had a nasty double check + queen fork that you should have seen coming and stopped. Same with the rook blunder before the checkmate. With these slow time controls, you have plenty of time to look at the board and ask yourself 'if I play this, what moves can the other b*****d play that checks my king/takes a piece/does something scary like a pin or fork or something?' before clicking the 'confirm' button, and you should make sure your move either nips those in the bud or that you can otherwise deal with them if they happen.

Edited by Aim Here

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Use the magnifying glass icon to plan your moves ahead.

Screenshot_20210417-150540.thumb.jpg.592dac62284ec99749e2cec09a11b48f.jpg