P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There's no doubt that you can still fall into opening traps. It happens to all of us. Sticking to those broad principles should make it less likely but you are correct- it is no guarantee.

Those principles are not hard and fast rules. The likes of analysing every check and capture is really important and doing a final 'idiot' check before you move (I often forget to do this and then blunder). 

I generally don't know a vast amount of opening theory. There are some subtleties of move order that may catch me out now and then. I stick to openings that are simple and without ending up in hundreds of lines and variations. It's not a memory test afterall. Where's the fun in that? I also try to deviate pretty regularly, if you become too predictable you find people may prepare for playing you (particularly in a league format).

I totally agree, but I wonder if the value of the general advice has been eroded in the internet age. There are a loads of videos on YouTube telling you how to catch your opponent in a trap and they have millions of views. I had to chose between wising up to them or losing games I should win.

I was looking forward to the 360 format cup, because it takes away the memory test... until I drew the best player in the competition.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I totally agree, but I wonder if the value of the general advice has been eroded in the internet age. There are a loads of videos on YouTube telling you how to catch your opponent in a trap and they have millions of views. I had to chose between wising up to them or losing games I should win.

I was looking forward to the 360 format cup, because it takes away the memory test... until I drew the best player in the competition.

Yeah, the Internet age probably makes a difference. I learnt to play 24 years ago now and the first thing I was taught was how to checkmate with King and Queen and worked back from there. Avoiding scholars mate was the key then. I learnt openings last and really when I wanted to try and improve.

As I've got older (with less time) I've veered away from opening theory where I can. Occasionally I get thumped by falling into an opening trap or end up in a passive position with no counter play (that sucks) but more often that not I am undone by a blunder on my part. Sometimes under absolutely no pressure. That's hard to take. 🙈

I've never played a 360 game in my life. The concept sounds like fun though.

There's no doubt that you can still fall into opening traps. It happens to all of us. Sticking to those broad principles should make it less likely but you are correct- it is no guarantee.
Those principles are not hard and fast rules. The likes of analysing every check and capture is really important and doing a final 'idiot' check before you move (I often forget to do this and then blunder). 
I generally don't know a vast amount of opening theory. There are some subtleties of move order that may catch me out now and then. I stick to openings that are simple and without ending up in hundreds of lines and variations. It's not a memory test afterall. Where's the fun in that? I also try to deviate pretty regularly, if you become too predictable you find people may prepare for playing you (particularly in a league format).
ETA - The bottom line is there is no one way to play and that's what makes the game so interesting. 
Like you I'm not big on standard moves - but I stick to the key principles you listed.

The other thing that does make a difference is flipping the board to see it from your opponent's point of view - to see why they have made the move they have and if you can trap them because they are focused on one part of the board.

One other thing I learned early on was that in an end game bishops vs knights will neatly always win on an open board.

And practice puzzles - a great way of getting you to think deeper or not miss the obvious.

A couple of months ago YouTube had me going from learning the way the horse moves to videos along the lines of "the trap that catches out all GMs" and "win in 8 moves". After a month of getting nowhere I stopped YouTube and got a couple of books aimed at beginners.

I reckon OTB with people that know what they're doing would be best.

I was looking forward to the 360 format cup, because it takes away the memory test... until I drew that git in the competition.

FTFY.

Frank - happy to let Psychosis take my spot at the top table, my next three months are looking quite busy so happy to do a pre pack admin so to speak and take the abeyance before maybe coming back. 

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

Frank - happy to let Psychosis take my spot at the top table, my next three months are looking quite busy so happy to do a pre pack admin so to speak and take the abeyance before maybe coming back. 

That's very good of you but I don't want you to feel obliged.

I'll happily start in the seaside leagues, enjoy the journey etc... 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

I think if you want to get "good" at chess then you need to focus on playing classical openings (rather than cheap trappy ones) and stick to the fundamental principles. If you want to win a few games on chess.com playing Blitz then just learn a few trappy openings. Both are equally valid, it just depends on what you're trying to do.  

People who do the latter will probably "improve" faster but will hit a plateau. People who do the former are more likely to actually get good. In terrible footballing analogies its like coaching U16s. Teach them how to stay in position, how to play as an11v11 team with offside trap etc. and they'll probably win loads of games against the teams who just learn ball skills. But by U21 the kids with skills will have shot past them. 

Edited by Uncle Psychosis

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

I think if you want to get "good" at chess then you need to focus on playing classical openings (rather than cheap trappy ones) and stick to the fundamental principles. If you want to win a few games on chess.com playing Blitz then just learn a few trappy openings. Both are equally valid, it just depends on what you're trying to do.  

People who do the latter will probably "improve" faster but will hit a plateau. People who do the former are more likely to actually get good. In terrible footballing analogies its like coaching U16s. Teach them how to stay in position, how to play as an11v11 team with offside trap etc. and they'll probably win loads of games against the teams who just learn ball skills. But by U21 the kids with skills will have shot past them. 

Ta. You're right, what I want to do is win games in this league more than I want to win 5 minute matches on Chess.com, so I should stick with the good advice.

Division A 

Round 1

Purplekangaroo89 v ChessBassGuitar

Bri1962 v gkneil 

beef2711 v Dearyme

GordonEF v Elrohana

AH13STU v madwullie

Round 2

Ziggy_The_Spider v Bri1962

Dearyme v Purplekangaroo89 

gkneil v GordonEF 

madwullie v beef2711

Elrohana v AH13STU 

Division B 

Round 1

Cardinalrichie v hammysgetinpumped 

eindhovendee v GParsfan

Strachanovski v topcateh3

Board_Stupid v RicheyEdwards 

Arabjoe v GCarlos9

Round 2

NotThePars v eindhovendee 

topcateh3 v CardinalRichie 

GParsfan v Board_Stupid

GCarlos9 v Strachanovski

RicheyEdwards v Arabjoe 

Division C

Round 1

mackieboz v DieHardDoonhamer 

Johnnydun418 v invergowrie 

GordonS496 v cols407

AimHere v pleslie999

markf268 v RBWatson

Round 2

Dandies1983 v Johnnydun418 

cols407 v mackieboz

invergowrie v AimHere

RBWatson v GordonS496 

pleslie999 v markf268 

19 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I’m sure we can squeeze you in

We currently have three leagues of 11

A rating of 1500 makes me think you’d be suited to the top league?

I wouldn't mind slipping down a league to create space

Nvm I've now read the thread

Edited by madwullie