P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Since I'm basically the Magnus Carlsen/Gary Kasparov of P&B and nothing left to prove, I'm going to retire. :P Thanks for setting this up @Frank Grimes, it has been amazing! In all seriousness, the nature of the 1 day per move really got to me and I became obsessive-like just staring at boards for what felt like hours trying to figure out a plan so I'm in need of a break and just happy with the mindless, thoughtless chaos of blitz!

All the best for next season lads!

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Since I'm basically the Magnus Carlsen/Gary Kasparov of P&B and nothing left to prove, I'm going to retire. :P Thanks for setting this up @Frank Grimes, it has been amazing! In all seriousness, the nature of the 1 day per move really got to me and I became obsessive-like just staring at boards for what felt like hours trying to figure out a plan so I'm in need of a break and just happy with the mindless, thoughtless chaos of blitz!

Absolute Bobby Fischer behaviour here

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think that has to be the winner. Extraordinary chess.

Unaware of that one haha. I went from a significant winning position to handing the Cardinal a mate-in-1 with a single move of my Queen

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement. My furlough will be ending soon and with sixty fewer hours in the week I won't be able to fit in any chess. Perhaps I'll return in future should there be a cup with rapid time format or something, but like Ludo, the daily format results in me obsessively over-analysing every move and it would suck my free time and sanity.

Sincere congratulations to Ludo. A worthy winner and I enjoyed our games very much. Congratulations to everyone in general though, the quality of chess rose hugely as the season went on and it's been nice to interact with some well kent usernames outwith the forum. Many thanks too to Grimes for sorting everything out.

@Ludo*1, name your charity and I'll send some prize money their way. No doubt I'll see some of you in the park for a friendly down the line.

6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I would also like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement. My furlough will be ending soon and with sixty fewer hours in the week I won't be able to fit in any chess. Perhaps I'll return in future should there be a cup with rapid time format or something, but like Ludo, the daily format results in me obsessively over-analysing every move and it would suck my free time and sanity.

Sincere congratulations to Ludo. A worthy winner and I enjoyed our games very much. Congratulations to everyone in general though, the quality of chess rose hugely as the season went on and it's been nice to interact with some well kent usernames outwith the forum. Many thanks too to Grimes for sorting everything out.

@Ludo*1, name your charity and I'll send some prize money their way. No doubt I'll see some of you in the park for a friendly down the line.

It was an honour to be your final league opponent prior to your retirement.

All the best for the future, and I hope you return at some point. 

On 25/01/2021 at 19:18, Ludo*1 said:

I'm utter shite but LudoNo1 - 861/872 depending on if it's Blitz or Rapid.

How it started^ 

30 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How it's going^ 

:whistle

Spoiler

I'm taking the piss Ludo youre clearly an accomplished player, all the best 🙂

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Don't feel obligated at all to donate. Massive gesture! I won't say no to you chucking some money to the SSPCA, however!

I had the absolute fear playing you and it culminated in my favourite game of the league. That second game where I had to come out of my shell and use a different opening because you'd been studying my plays was intense and that draw made for the most exciting game I experienced!

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

How it started^ 

How it's going^ 

:whistle

Hide contents

I'm taking the piss Ludo youre clearly an accomplished player, all the best 🙂

In all seriousness, I only tend to play 3 minute blitz with no increment and I've always been pretty shite because I usually just play whilst on 'other business' on my phone and just play anything. Since we've started this league, I still just chuck pieces about on 3 minute blitz, but even my rating on that has went up by over 200 points and doesn't seem to have capped off just yet. Think that's testament to how much this format and league made me actually study chess and think about different plays and openings etc. As I say, I spent hours upon hours just staring at a board and moving it about. Really worthwhile experience as I've improved immeasurably even at just blitz!

Reckon there were and are many better players than me in these leagues, I just spent the longest trying to work out what to do like a sad act! :lol:

41 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Unaware of that one haha. I went from a significant winning position to handing the Cardinal a mate-in-1 with a single move of my Queen

38 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yours is bad, let's not pretend, but he went from mate in one to eventually losing, so takes the crown IMO.

Absolute banter years material right there. 

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don't feel obligated at all to donate. Massive gesture! I won't say no to you chucking some money to the SSPCA, however!

I had the absolute fear playing you and it culminated in my favourite game of the league. That second game where I had to come out of my shell and use a different opening because you'd been studying my plays was intense and that draw made for the most exciting game I experienced!

Sorted. Very pleased you went for SSPCA, you never know with these things, The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland is a registered charity after all!

Aye, I really enjoyed our two games, especially the first as I'd never played online against a human before. If you'd caught me a week or two later in the season I might have been a bit more aware of the impending mate!

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bullshit!

You know the taxman is on to you because of the back row getting paid via EBT.

Lee Wallace told me so.

Shitebag!

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sure, if everyone is ok with it.

Yep, happy to play regardless of any league reshuffling that might happen. Ping the challenge over when yer ready.