P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

@Frank Grimes, have you decided how you are going to bring these players in or just push up from the League C with a few dropping out?

I am quite happy with the 2 games a week, daily move format, it means I can do it at my leisure and everyone pretty much finished on time.

If folk want more quicker games, they can play friendlies.

Not yet, I’ll try and figure it out this week

Happy with the daily format but put me in the one game a week column. With lockdown on, I've got a fair amount of time to spend thinking about chess but even then, some weeks it felt like I was spending a huge amount of time just looking at chess boards and thinking of moves. Given lockdown's hopefully on the slow road out, I feel like two games a week would be a lot for me.

30 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Happy with the daily format but put me in the one game a week column. With lockdown on, I've got a fair amount of time to spend thinking about chess but even then, some weeks it felt like I was spending a huge amount of time just looking at chess boards and thinking of moves. Given lockdown's hopefully on the slow road out, I feel like two games a week would be a lot for me.

I'm with you on this - after the Easter holidays the 6 weeks up to the start of June are horrendous for us - all I'll be doing is marking and cross-marking.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm with you on this - after the Easter holidays the 6 weeks up to the start of June are horrendous for us - all I'll be doing is marking and cross-marking.

That's vhctim chat if if I heard it!

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Unlike Ludo - I'm not chickening out!!

😝

I've retired undefeated in the top league* and won it. There's nothing more left for me to achieve.
better late than never i'm the g.o.a.t. GIF by NBC

*pending my final match in which I'm currently 7 pieces down.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've retired undefeated in the top league* and won it. There's nothing more left for me to achieve.

Beating me?

Maybe we need a Supercup?

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Maybe they can all submit formal applications to be voted on by the existing league members?

I will email my response after a chat with Mr Lawwell. 

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You haven't lost to me yet. You can't retire before that.

I think 2 fixtures a week is fine. If people are unable to get to their fixtures on time then it's fine to let the fixtures pile up, shirley? The leagues haven't suffered from finishing out of sync or with people taking longer to finish games.

I'm loath to downplay the seriousness of the Chess League as well but it shouldn't really matter if you're forced to make your moves with a few minutes or, say, half an hour's thought. The big hitters are still on average going to see off the diddies.