P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

On 22/01/2022 at 23:35, SweeperDee said:

Division C Return Leg against N5_Spurs

XCTR94 wins by checkmate.

Well played buddy; hard lines with falling into an opening trap with my Queen but fought on.

Do I play against Strachanovski again to complete this round of fixtures?

785587a7a4d727edb9c73c59f97d9952.jpg

Erm, you may need to put that down as a friendly as I publish the fixtures weekly :lol:

Don’t worry, we all play home and away eventually 

5 hours ago, Loki said:

It’s one move a day on the app, but our rules are all matches need to be completed within 14 days of the published fixture. 

That may well be the rule but I'd wager its not being applied and rightly so imo.

In theory you could get to 14 days with only 7 completed moves. I'm not convinced screenshoting the position after 7 moves for the forum to decide would lead to a conclusive result. Then there's the double default option. However, there is a problem there as well.

Say I'm playing you and you are challenging for the title and I'm in midtable obscurity. I just opt to run the clock down so it's a double default after 14 days, you don't get a point, neither do I, but my mate who is challenging you at the top end wins their game. It seems open to abuse to me.

It's far more sensible to allow players to play it out imo. When considering a time control over the board it's usually based on 60 moves (which is considered the mean game length). I would suggest the 14 days is scrapped for 30 days tbh. I think giving players a month to finish their game when it's 1 move per day is perfectly reasonable. 14 days is not.

• Frank Grimes changed the title to P&B Chess League - Week 2 fixtures p212
22 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Division B, round 1

pleslie999 and cols407 draw.

Cheers for the game. Offered the draw as I couldn't quite see where either of us could win from. Queens were going off the board. Kings well protected and each passed pawn was very vulnerable. Analysis seems to have it pretty even most of the way thru.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

That may well be the rule but I'd wager its not being applied and rightly so imo.

In theory you could get to 14 days with only 7 completed moves. I'm not convinced screenshoting the position after 7 moves for the forum to decide would lead to a conclusive result. Then there's the double default option. However, there is a problem there as well.

Say I'm playing you and you are challenging for the title and I'm in midtable obscurity. I just opt to run the clock down so it's a double default after 14 days, you don't get a point, neither do I, but my mate who is challenging you at the top end wins their game. It seems open to abuse to me.

It's far more sensible to allow players to play it out imo. When considering a time control over the board it's usually based on 60 moves (which is considered the mean game length). I would suggest the 14 days is scrapped for 30 days tbh. I think giving players a month to finish their game when it's 1 move per day is perfectly reasonable. 14 days is not.

But likewise extending your games towards the end of the season, so you know exactly what you need to get the position your aiming for is also open to abuse.  A point for both players for finishing within the deadline could be a compromise.  

Round 2 Div A

GKNeil defeats GCarlos9 by resignation.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

But likewise extending your games towards the end of the season, so you know exactly what you need to get the position your aiming for is also open to abuse.  A point for both players for finishing within the deadline could be a compromise.  

Round 2 Div A

GKNeil defeats GCarlos9 by resignation.

Good game min, had to be careful at the end there.

There is no way players should only be averaging a move per day or anything like it. The daily time limit is about making sure there aren't issues with different work schedules (or time zones for that matter), not about literally only playing one move per day.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There is no way players should only be averaging a move per day or anything like it. The daily time limit is about making sure there aren't issues with different work schedules (or time zones for that matter), not about literally only playing one move per day.

You obviously ignored the in theory bit.

With 24 hour/move time control it can take up 48 hours for 1 complete move (ie. Black and White to move). 

I have a game with @Leicesterlichtiewhich is at move 12 currently and started last Monday/Tuesday. I wouldn't say either of us have moved particularly slowly.

I would posit that the time taken is very much down to the playing strength of the players involved as well. That is in no way a slight but rather a consequence of the depth of analysis that stronger players go through before moving. 

Personally my games go from slow to fast. Where my opponent plays a line I have analysed and I know I will play faster (almost instantaneous). Where I am not sure I will spend some time on analysis before moving. When I'm busy at work I usually can't move until the evenings. If my opponent can't move until the mornings it elongates the length of the game. I don't believe that's unreasonable. 

I'm not sure what you would like to see differently? A new time control? Double defaults? 

I should add as well. If you are chronically slow your fixtures will pile up and you end up playing multiple games at once which is not conducive to good chess. Unless you are @Ziggy who can juggle 20+ games at once.

It's in everyone's interest to progress their games. Are there actually people playing slowly for nefarious reasons? Who are they? What advantage are they gaining?

To @SweeperDee's point - I'm pretty sure the flexibility exists to agree a seperate time control between both players and report the result.