P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

• Frank Grimes changed the title to P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

P&B Cup Round of 16

Looks like we're heading for the quarter-final draw.

Through to the next round so far:

Aim Here
ancientnoise
Albino Rover
IncomingExile
free beer
pleslie99

And I can see there's an interesting tussle going on between @Curmudgeon and @craigkillie in their match.

Unless I've missed it, there's no update or game going on for the match between @Leicesterlichtie and @true_rover. Anything happening there guys?

I'll make the draw for the quarters after the Curmudgeon/craigkillie match is concluded. Somebody will have to wait for the non-started either/or.

16 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

P&B Cup Round of 16

Looks like we're heading for the quarter-final draw.

Through to the next round so far:

Aim Here
ancientnoise
Albino Rover
IncomingExile
free beer
pleslie99

And I can see there's an interesting tussle going on between @Curmudgeon and @craigkillie in their match.

Unless I've missed it, there's no update or game going on for the match between @Leicesterlichtie and @true_rover. Anything happening there guys?

I'll make the draw for the quarters after the Curmudgeon/craigkillie match is concluded. Somebody will have to wait for the non-started either/or.

Currently 64 moves in and counting...

Given the Nicolas Mahust/ John Isner scenario and that there is no guarantee that a  drawn tie will be resolved in the replay, can I suggest the following amendment to the rules for futue cup competitions.

Cup Competition Rule 10:

In the event of a drawn cup tie, the match shall be replayed with the away team now playing at home. In other words, black now plays as white and vice versa. 

To:

In the event of a drawn cup tie, pawnalties shall decide the outcome of the tie . The player having most pawns shall be declared the winner. In the event of a pawn tie, the match shall be replayed with the away team now playing at home. In other words,  black now plays as white and vice versa. 

React to this if you are in favour!

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Chess needs a penalty shoot out equivalent.

Maybe a 5 minute rush game?

Aye, that's how they do it in real tournaments.

Goes to a rapid game best of 2, if still a tie, goes to blitz game best of 2 and if still a tie, it goes to armageddon.

Armageddon can't really be set-up on here but basically both sides 'bid' for the amount of time they want with the black pieces (lower bid wins) then the player with the black pieces basically wins the game if they can get at least a draw.

6 hours ago, free beer said:

...pawnalties shall decide the outcome of the tie . The player having most pawns shall be declared the winner. In the event of a pawn tie..

Hmmm. Sorry @free beer not sure I'm a fan of that. I'm thinking that could discourage sacrificial play, which might make the original tie even more protracted.

Also mind that time and tide waits for no man - if there's any one not responding within a reasonable time, they get evicted and the other player gets a bye for the sake of the tourney. That's not the case here - all ties are active.

I prefer what @Stellaboz and @Ludo*1 are suggesting.

In the event of a draw, players swap colours and the game is played using a quicker format (i.e. blitz).

Also adding that some folk might be and often are busy or away catching some rays abroad etc. Doesn't stop the next round from being drawn, giving the other players get the chance to lock antlers and when the lagging player is back from sabbatical they catch up.

Shall we go for the @Stellaboz/ @Ludo*1 replay rules?

Like this post if you think that's a good idea.

P&B Chess Cup

I'll make the draw for the quarter final tomorrow guys.

I say "I", which as you know by now means "the bairn".

Besides the winner from the remaining game, the following will be in the bag:

@Aim Here, @ancientnoise, @Albino Rover, @IncomingExile, @Curmudgeon @free beer and @pleslie99

In the meantime, I've started squinting at this. Not sure what they mean by "beautiful" yet, but the board is back out in an effort to find out:

P&B Chess Cup

Quarter-Final Draw

Me: "Fancy doing the draw for me?"

Bairn: "Sure"

Me (5 mins later): "No, not like that!"

chess23_quarterfinal_smaller.jpg.7aa5f95bd4e74fc3f6fb2bc50d41bdfa.jpg

So that's...

@pleslie99 v @Aim Here

@ancientnoise v @Curmudgeon

@free beer v @IncomingExile

And

@Leicesterlichtie or @true_rover v @Albino Rover

Spreadsheet updated:

https://tinyurl.com/3dmyw45h

Best of luck, and we'll go for the swap-colour-and-blitz-format for any replays, should they arise.

Invitation sent to @Curmudgeon. Just whenever you are ready good sir.

Edited by ancientnoise

15 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

P&B Chess Cup

Quarter-Final Draw

Me: "Fancy doing the draw for me?"

Bairn: "Sure"

Me (5 mins later): "No, not like that!"

chess23_quarterfinal_smaller.jpg.7aa5f95bd4e74fc3f6fb2bc50d41bdfa.jpg

So that's...

@pleslie99 v @Aim Here

@ancientnoise v @Curmudgeon

@free beer v @IncomingExile

And

@Leicesterlichtie or @true_rover v @Albino Rover

Spreadsheet updated:

https://tinyurl.com/3dmyw45h

Best of luck, and we'll go for the swap-colour-and-blitz-format for any replays, should they arise.

My first thought - "great, I avoided Aimhere"

Second thought - "ahh, crap. If I'm doing this, I'm doing it the hard way"

I've also changed my username to The_Curmudgeon which is what I should've set up initially rather than trying to fit in a feeble pun.