P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

So - much sooner than expected - my glamorous assistant and my wee lassie "volunteered" to do the draw. I gave them the instructions, left the room, and this is what they pulled out of the bag:

prelim_draw_even_smaller.jpg.7ec6a2124b4118a94eb09fe0ec8db18b.jpg

So the draw is......

Preliminary Round

@BaSeDG0DSA1NT v @Leicesterlichtie

and

@Ken Deans v @invergowrie arab

Everyone else will feature in the Round of 16, which will be drawn when the above fixtures are completed.

Best of luck chaps!

Note: You can ignore the two minstrels. They took no part in the draw, and neither are they being offered as prizes.

Edited by ancientnoise

1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

Note: You can ignore the two minstrels. They took no part in the draw, and neither are they being offered as prizes.

Minstrel Wanderers were a famously unsuccessful Birmingham Sunday League side back in the day. My team Real Ale Madrid rapidly took over their crown as the worst side to ever grace the league. And now here I am in the P&B Chess League......... 

21 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

So - much sooner than expected - my glamorous assistant and my wee lassie "volunteered" to do the draw. I gave them the instructions, left the room, and this is what they pulled out of the bag:

prelim_draw_even_smaller.jpg.7ec6a2124b4118a94eb09fe0ec8db18b.jpg

So the draw is......

Preliminary Round

@BaSeDG0DSA1NT v @Leicesterlichtie

and

@Ken Deans v @invergowrie arab

Everyone else will feature in the Round of 16, which will be drawn when the above fixtures are completed.

Best of luck chaps!

I demand a packet of minstrels as prize for the winner.

15 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Lost v Board_Stupid 

Long game, kept living in hope I might scrape a highly unlikely draw.

Well played. 

I found it a tough game as our games usually are.

The draw was far from unlikely. I nearly offered it at the start of the endgame as the position looked dead level with no obvious way forward. Things just seemed to fall my way right at the end.

Thanks to all my opponents this season. I can assure you all that I found the games more difficult than the league table might suggest.

Special thanks to @Aim Herefor his time and effort administering the league.

Division A and B Final Tables

All matches have been played and the final results are in.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 18 17 0 1 51
AimHere 18 13 0 5 39
PurpleKangaroo89 18 13 0 5 39
AH13STU 18 8 2 8 26
PnbMathematics 18 7 2 9 23
invergowrie 18 7 1 10 22
AlbinoRov 18 7 0 11 21
pleslie999 18 6 1 11 19
Arabjoe 18 5 2 11 17
markf268 18 3 0 15 9

Congratulations to Board_Stupid/ @Curmudgeon for easily strolling this season's league. Very well played!

Guaranteed relegation for season 8 goes to markf268 / @true_rover and Arabjoe/@arab_joe is in the playoff spot - his late run of form took him out of guaranteed relegation, but he's still a couple of points off complete safety!

Division B P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 18 18 0 0 54
stewartmathers 18 16 0 2 48
Dandies1983 18 11 0 7 33
Basedgodsa1nt 18 10 0 8 30
RBWatson 18 9 0 9 27
KenDeans 18 8 1 9 25
N5_Spur 18 6 0 12 18
XCTR94 18 5 0 13 15
mackieboz 18 4 1 13 13
IncomingExile 18 1 2 15 5

Congratulations and a very well played to @ancientnoise for wiping out Division B with a clean sheet, and gaining assured promotion to the top tier next season. stewartmathers/@free beer is in the playoff spot so he can duke it out with Arabjoe to see who's where, providing the league stays in the same shape

Thanks to all players for making this a very easy-to-run seaon. I think this is the first season with no mid-season dropouts. Well done, everyone!

And with that, I'm taking signups for Season 8. Would everyone - whether returning players from this or previous seasons, or brand new players - please indicate whether you want to play in the next season of the P&B Chess league? I'm hoping to keep to the same rules as season 7, but as usual, varying player numbers might force a league reconstruction.

48 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Division A and B Final Tables

All matches have been played and the final results are in.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 18 17 0 1 51
AimHere 18 13 0 5 39
PurpleKangaroo89 18 13 0 5 39
AH13STU 18 8 2 8 26
PnbMathematics 18 7 2 9 23
invergowrie 18 7 1 10 22
AlbinoRov 18 7 0 11 21
pleslie999 18 6 1 11 19
Arabjoe 18 5 2 11 17
markf268 18 3 0 15 9

Congratulations to Board_Stupid/ @Curmudgeon for easily strolling this season's league. Very well played!

Guaranteed relegation for season 8 goes to markf268 / @true_rover and Arabjoe/@arab_joe is in the playoff spot - his late run of form took him out of guaranteed relegation, but he's still a couple of points off complete safety!

Division B P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 18 18 0 0 54
stewartmathers 18 16 0 2 48
Dandies1983 18 11 0 7 33
Basedgodsa1nt 18 10 0 8 30
RBWatson 18 9 0 9 27
KenDeans 18 8 1 9 25
N5_Spur 18 6 0 12 18
XCTR94 18 5 0 13 15
mackieboz 18 4 1 13 13
IncomingExile 18 1 2 15 5

Congratulations and a very well played to @ancientnoise for wiping out Division B with a clean sheet, and gaining assured promotion to the top tier next season. stewartmathers/@free beer is in the playoff spot so he can duke it out with Arabjoe to see who's where, providing the league stays in the same shape

Thanks to all players for making this a very easy-to-run seaon. I think this is the first season with no mid-season dropouts. Well done, everyone!

And with that, I'm taking signups for Season 8. Would everyone - whether returning players from this or previous seasons, or brand new players - please indicate whether you want to play in the next season of the P&B Chess league? I'm hoping to keep to the same rules as season 7, but as usual, varying player numbers might force a league reconstruction.

@Aim HereRe: your December 22nd post:

I've added in Dandies1983 and mackieboz, sorted out the league tables and generated the fixtures. We have two divisions of ten players each, and with the increased size, I suggest two guaranteed promotion/relegation slots and one playoff spot.

I thought I'd already gained one of the two guaranteed promotion spots. I even paid for a celebratory dinner with over 100 guests & signed some new pieces for next season on the attraction of Division A crowds, and a possible venture into Europe the following season if they performed.

Obviously misinterpreted this :)

Edited by free beer
add tag

23 minutes ago, free beer said:

@Aim HereRe: your December 22nd post:

I've added in Dandies1983 and mackieboz, sorted out the league tables and generated the fixtures. We have two divisions of ten players each, and with the increased size, I suggest two guaranteed promotion/relegation slots and one playoff spot.

I thought I'd already gained one of the two guaranteed promotion spots. I even paid for a celebratory dinner with over 100 guests & signed some new pieces for next season on the attraction of Division A crowds, and a possible venture into Europe the following season if they performed.

Obviously misinterpreted this :)

Nah, my fault. I did look back over at the start of the league season because I recalled that there was some mention, but looked at the later posts and missed that one.

Okay, guaranteed relegations go to Arabjoe and markf268 (comiserations!) and guaranteed promotion to ancientnoise and stewartmathers.

That way, the playoff should be Dandies1983 / @Frank Grimes and pleslie999 / @pleslie99.