P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

@free beer

StewartMathers defeats Saint by resignation. 

Em....I naively thought I was winning and had you on the ropes as it felt like you were given me pieces, now I know why and when an email popped through saying Game Over I thought you had resigned,  how wrong was I 😄 

Nope it turns out I was purely focusing on my plan and embarrassingly never noticed that you were clearly going for mate, quite funny looking back at it now, that I was so focused on what I was doing I couldnt see the big danger and warning signs infront of me 😆 

Well played bud.

That's me finished all my games I'm sure if anyone fancies a friendly just pop me an invite

1 minute ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

@free beer

StewartMathers defeats Saint by resignation. 

Em....I naively thought I was winning and had you on the ropes as it felt like you were given me pieces, now I know why and when an email popped through saying Game Over I thought you had resigned,  how wrong was I 😄 

Nope it turns out I was purely focusing on my plan and embarrassingly never noticed that you were clearly going for mate, quite funny looking back at it now, that I was so focused on what I was doing I couldnt see the big danger and warning signs infront of me 😆 

Well played bud.

That's me finished all my games I'm sure if anyone fancies a friendly just pop me an invite

Correction - StewartMathers defeats Saint by checkmate

I didn't think you'd seen my sneaky prep for mate the move after you castled, so played along with "blundering" the too-good-to-refuse offer of a rook!

Thanks for the game.

AH13STU beats Pleslie99 by resignation

very close game, analysis shows I played better than I thought with only 2 mistakes being my downfall against my opponents 0. Thought it was heading for a draw and repeatedly offered one in the hope of getting one without playing it out. My opponent knew better and put me to the sword. Really well played 👏

Division A table and outstanding fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 17 16 0 1 48
AimHere 18 13 0 5 39
PurpleKangaroo89 18 13 0 5 39
AH13STU 16 7 2 7 23
PnbMathematics 18 7 2 9 23
invergowrie 18 7 1 10 22
AlbinoRov 18 7 0 11 21
pleslie999 18 6 1 11 19
Arabjoe 18 5 2 11 17
markf268 17 3 0 14 9

I'm just waiting on the results of the following two matches:

Round 17
markf268 vs AH13STU

Round 18
AH13STU vs Board_Stupid

In case these aren't started, @Curmudgeon, @Leicesterlichtie , @true_rover

Division B table and outstanding fixtures

Division B P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 18 18 0 0 54
stewartmathers 17 15 0 2 45
Dandies1983 18 11 0 7 33
Basedgodsa1nt 18 10 0 8 30
RBWatson 17 9 0 8 27
KenDeans 18 8 1 9 25
N5_Spur 17 6 0 11 18
XCTR94 18 5 0 13 15
mackieboz 17 3 1 13 10
IncomingExile 18 1 2 15 5

Just two outstanding fixtures

Round 18
RBWatson vs mackieboz
N5_Spur vs stewartmathers

@N5 Spur @Stellaboz @EvilScotsman @free beer

15 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Division A table and outstanding fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 17 16 0 1 48
AimHere 18 13 0 5 39
PurpleKangaroo89 18 13 0 5 39
AH13STU 16 7 2 7 23
PnbMathematics 18 7 2 9 23
invergowrie 18 7 1 10 22
AlbinoRov 18 7 0 11 21
pleslie999 18 6 1 11 19
Arabjoe 18 5 2 11 17
markf268 17 3 0 14 9

I'm just waiting on the results of the following two matches:

Round 17
markf268 vs AH13STU

Round 18
AH13STU vs Board_Stupid

In case these aren't started, @Curmudgeon, @Leicesterlichtie , @true_rover

Currently playing markf268. Will get Board_Stupid game sorted out.

On 05/03/2023 at 10:11, Aim Here said:

Division B table and outstanding fixtures

Round 18
N5_Spur vs stewartmathers

@N5 Spur @Stellaboz @EvilScotsman @free beer

@free beer defeats N5 Spur by resignation, without too much hassle on his part, I would guess.

Well played, Sir, and good luck next season.

2 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

@free beer defeats N5 Spur by resignation, without too much hassle on his part, I would guess.

Well played, Sir, and good luck next season.

Thanks for the game. It was pretty even until my knight fork check on your queen. Best of luck to you too next season. 

THE P&B CHESS CUP

OK people, apologies for the delay.

Based on the responses so far, we have:

Up for the Cup:

@Stellaboz, @Leicesterlichtie, @Curmudgeon, @Albino Rover, @IncomingExile, @Ken Deans, @Aim Here, @EvilScotsman, @pleslie99, @craigkillie, @SweeperDee, @free beer, @invergowrie arab, @ancientnoise

That's 14.

Not Up for The Cup:

@N5 Spur

Not Replied:

@arab_joe, @mathematics, @true_rover, @Frank Grimes and @BaSeDG0DSA1NT

Let's give it till midnight on Friday 10th March, then I'll make the draw.

This should give enough time for the non-repliers to decide whether they want in. Another two would be handy!

Should also give me time to work out how I'm going warm the balls up without making it too obvious of course

Suspicious Ryan Reynolds GIF by CBC

80h.gif
CBC
Edited by ancientnoise

Apologies to my two opponents in post-season friendlies, Albino Rovers and ancientnoise. Hardware issues were immediately followed by network connectivity issues so I was timed out - to my sheer annoyance as both games had been very intriguing. 

Hope these problems are all passed now and look forward to my first round cup exit (surely another bye is hoping for too much).

12 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

THE P&B CHESS CUP

OK people, apologies for the delay.

Based on the responses so far, we have:

Up for the Cup:

@Stellaboz, @Leicesterlichtie, @Curmudgeon, @Albino Rover, @IncomingExile, @Ken Deans, @Aim Here, @EvilScotsman, @pleslie99, @craigkillie, @SweeperDee, @free beer, @invergowrie arab, @ancientnoise

That's 14.

Not Up for The Cup:

@N5 Spur

Not Replied:

@arab_joe, @mathematics, @true_rover, @Frank Grimes and @BaSeDG0DSA1NT

Let's give it till midnight on Friday 10th March, then I'll make the draw.

This should give enough time for the non-repliers to decide whether they want in. Another two would be handy!

Should also give me time to work out how I'm going warm the balls up without making it too obvious of course

Suspicious Ryan Reynolds GIF by CBC

80h.gif
CBC

Aye go on then 

P&B Chess Cup 2023

So we have 18 names for the Cup.

They are:

@Stellaboz, @Leicesterlichtie, @Curmudgeon, @Albino Rover, @IncomingExile, @Ken Deans, @Aim Here, @EvilScotsman, @pleslie99, @craigkillie, @SweeperDee, @free beer, @invergowrie arab, @ancientnoise, @mathematics, @BaSeDG0DSA1NT, @true_rover, and @Frank Grimes

This is a straight knockout tournament. Totally unseeded for every round.

As you can see from this link, the first four names out will go into the "Preliminary Round", with the two winners of that then going back into the mix for the Round of 16 draw.

https://tinyurl.com/sx5bpsnf

Standard rules, first name drawn for each match plays as white, 1-day-per-move and a draw means a replay.

I'll do the draw later today. Or rather my glamorous assistant will, when she gets back from a shopping trip. Gawd alone knows when that will be, but all will be revealed later. The hat and the 18 bits of paper with names on have been prepared.

Nothing to stop me drawing the Round of 16 now of course, but let's keep that a mystery for now.

Same deal as before - just post the result of your match in here and I'll update the spreadsheet.

Best of luck!

Edited by ancientnoise
usernames

2 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

P&B Chess Cup 2023

So we have 18 names for the Cup.

They are:

@Stellaboz, @Leicesterlichtie, @Curmudgeon, @Albino Rover, @IncomingExile, @Ken Deans, @Aim Here, @EvilScotsman, @pleslie99, @craigkillie, @SweeperDee, @free beer, @invergowrie arab, @ancientnoise, @mathematics, @BaSeDG0DSA1NT, @true_rover, @Frank Grimes

This is a straight knockout tournament. Totally unseeded for every round.

As you can see from this link, the first four names out will go into the "Preliminary Round", with the two winners of that then going back into the mix for the Round of 16 draw.

https://tinyurl.com/sx5bpsnf

Standard rules, first name drawn for each match plays as white, 1-day-per-move and a draw means a replay.

I'll do the draw later today. Or rather my glamorous assistant will, when she gets back from a shopping trip. Gawd alone knows when that will be, but all will be revealed later. The hat and the 18 bits of paper with names on have been prepared.

Nothing to stop me drawing the Round of 16 now of course, but let's keep that a mystery for now.

Same deal as before - just post the result of your match in here and I'll update the spreadsheet.

Best of luck!

The previous cup tournaments were playing the Chess960 variant. Is that the case now, or is it standard chess rules?