P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

12 minutes ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

This is the type of thing I mean (if it works)

When I go to look back at the moves when it says blunders etc, I don't know what these - and + mean, any idea or can anyone shed any light?

Screenshot_20230216_124044_Chrome.jpg

Computers look at chess positions and (using a ton of very clever metrics) assign a number to them that represents who's winning. A positive number means white is ahead, a negative number means black is ahead. Also the size of the number is roughly how far ahead they are, by a metric that roughly is equivalent to the piece value that ancientnoise mentioned. If the position is roughly equal, except that white has one more knight than black, the score would read '+3'. Your score might read +3 even if you don't have a piece advantage, just because chess is a complicated game and where your pieces are on the board also matters, a lot.

For computer purposes, this means that to decide what move to play, they just evaluate all the moves they can make, and play the move with the biggest number (if the computer plays white) or smallest number (if the computer is playing black). These scores are all estimates - working out the exact evaluation score for any given chess position is an  unsolved research problem. The numbers are also readable enough to be useful to people, so that's why they show them to you after the game (during the game is cheating!)

Also, if 'M' is in front of the number, it's different. That just means that the computer has looked ahead enough to know that the game should be mate in however many moves that number is. M-3 means 'Mate in 3' for black, assuming both sides play as well as they can play.

Edited by Aim Here

Division A

Lost to Board_stupid after a daft blunder (I predicted his move, and had some counter in mind, but forgot what it was by the time it was my move, and my plan was probably bollocks in the first place).

Also lost to AH13STU with another dopey blunder..

And then against invergowrie I also managed to screw up by actually taking the Vienna Gambit. I couldn't remember offhand whether it was the right move, so did a 'f**k it, let's take the pawn!' and learned the hard way how not to deal with the Vienna. Thankfully invergowrie counterblundered hard enough to save my bacon.

Edited by Aim Here

36 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Division A

Lost to Board_stupid after a daft blunder (I predicted his move, and had some counter in mind, but forgot what it was by the time it was my move, and my plan was probably bollocks in the first place).

Also lost to AH13STU with another dopey blunder..

And then against invergowrie I also managed to screw up by actually taking the Vienna Gambit. I couldn't remember offhand whether it was the right move, so did a 'f**k it, let's take the pawn!' and learned the hard way how not to deal with the Vienna. Thankfully invergowrie counterblundered hard enough to save my bacon.

Mightily pissed off to have fucked that up having got the Vienna all set up.

I don't think it's fair you are meant to anticipate what your opponent might do as well as trying to figure out your own moves 

8 minutes ago, free beer said:

Division B - Round 15
IncomingExile loses to stewartmathers by checkmate

Good luck next season!

I need some this season! Good game, I never even saw that checkmate coming, focussing on the middle of the board. 

I've now sent the Wooden Spoon off to the engravers, luckily I had a two-for-one voucher from last season.    

Division A Table and Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 16 14 1 1 43
AimHere 15 10 0 5 30
AlbinoRov 16 7 1 8 22
AH13STU 13 6 1 6 19
PnbMathematics 13 6 1 6 19
PurpleKangaroo89 10 6 0 4 18
invergowrie 14 5 0 9 15
pleslie999 12 4 1 7 13
Arabjoe 13 4 1 8 13
markf268 13 2 0 11 6

Round 17
PurpleKangaroo89 vs invergowrie
markf268 vs AH13STU
AimHere vs pleslie999
Board_Stupid vs PnbMathematics
Arabjoe vs AlbinoRov

Round 18
markf268 vs PurpleKangaroo89
pleslie999 vs invergowrie
AH13STU vs Board_Stupid
AlbinoRov vs AimHere
PnbMathematics vs Arabjoe

Results and calculations can be found on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iEm3KhDrq-Ri6Jbz6pgRdNyKNfhtWyuvphTI-1ss9Ig

Division B Table and Fixtures

Division B P W D L Pts
ancientnoise 15 15 0 0 45
stewartmathers 15 14 0 1 42
Dandies1983 16 9 0 7 27
RBWatson 16 9 0 7 27
KenDeans 15 8 1 6 25
Basedgodsa1nt 14 8 0 6 24
N5_Spur 16 5 0 11 15
mackieboz 15 3 1 11 10
XCTR94 16 3 0 13 9
IncomingExile 16 1 2 13 5

Round 17
IncomingExile vs ancientnoise
XCTR94 vs RBWatson
stewartmathers vs Basedgodsa1nt
mackieboz vs Dandies1983
KenDeans vs N5_Spur

Round 18
XCTR94 vs IncomingExile
Basedgodsa1nt vs ancientnoise
RBWatson vs mackieboz
N5_Spur vs stewartmathers
Dandies1983 vs KenDeans

XCTR94 has made a late run to avoid the wooden spoon by getting three straight wins following his 13 losses in a row!

7 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Division A Table and Fixtures

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 16 14 1 1 43
AimHere 15 10 0 5 30
AlbinoRov 16 7 1 8 22
AH13STU 13 6 1 6 19
PnbMathematics 13 6 1 6 19
PurpleKangaroo89 10 6 0 4 18
invergowrie 14 5 0 9 15
pleslie999 12 4 1 7 13
Arabjoe 13 4 1 8 13
markf268 13 2 0 11 6

Round 17
PurpleKangaroo89 vs invergowrie
markf268 vs AH13STU
AimHere vs pleslie999
Board_Stupid vs PnbMathematics
Arabjoe vs AlbinoRov

Round 18
markf268 vs PurpleKangaroo89
pleslie999 vs invergowrie
AH13STU vs Board_Stupid
AlbinoRov vs AimHere
PnbMathematics vs Arabjoe

Results and calculations can be found on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iEm3KhDrq-Ri6Jbz6pgRdNyKNfhtWyuvphTI-1ss9Ig

I've not drawn any games this season. It looks like I'm down for a draw with Albinorov instead of a win.

11 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Division A

Board_stupid beats Plesslie by resignation.

The game was shaping up to be a close one when Plesslie accidentally revealed an attack on his own queen which I wasn't going to turn down.

Yep, pumped. By “shaping up to be a close one” he really means I hadn’t lost after 5 moves. By move 19 I resigned…… 😂