P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Can any Div A players give me a few friendlies and give me some pointers? I have the ideas; I know the theory, but like curmudgeon said I think I’m just too used to blitz so I just go with my gut first move instead of just slowing down and thinking.
Going 2 Queens up makes stalemate more likely - I personally wouldn't have promoted again unless it was unavoidable.

Madwullie cup result

AimHere @Aim Heredefeats BasedGoDSa1NT by checkmate.

Always chasing but I have enjoyed playing this 960 format.

Thank you for your messages and I probably should've resigned earlier but I struggle with checkmate so wanted to see how you went about that, plus how you were getting pawns over the line.

All the best for the rest of the tournament.

Edited by BaSeDG0DSA1NT

2 minutes ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

Thank you for your messages and I probably should've resigned earlier but I struggle with checkmate so wanted to see how you went about that, plus how you were getting pawns over the line.

All the best for the rest of the tournament.

Cheers for the game. The analysis board tells me I blundered my queen and you declined my blunder; we both need to work on that bit!

As for resigning - there's no such thing as 'probably should've resigned earlier'. If you're not absolutely 100% sure that you've lost and the other guy is certain to beat you, then you shouldn't resign. Not resigning as part of a learning exercise is also perfectly reasonable.

Going 2 Queens up makes stalemate more likely - I personally wouldn't have promoted again unless it was unavoidable.

I think I’ve only ever managed a queen king checkmate once, ever, I was just being stupid. A rook would have been way better as mentioned. Head isn’t at the races.

1 hour ago, Albino Rover said:

Feel free to challenge me to a friendly, anyone who wants one.

My weekly league games are finished and barring a miracle I'm just about to get papped out of the Cup...

Firing a challenge over in a minute or two, as 'random sides' if it lets me. This is more of a catharsis for me than a challenge for you, I just want to expunge this week's seven move capitulation from my immediate memory. 

The horror, the horror.

1 hour ago, IncomingExile said:

Firing a challenge over in a minute or two, as 'random sides' if it lets me. This is more of a catharsis for me than a challenge for you, I just want to expunge this week's seven move capitulation from my immediate memory. 

The horror, the horror.

marlon brando GIF by Maudit

6 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Division B, Round 12

@pleslie99/pleslie999 defeats N5 Spur by resignation.

Not even close from the start - very nicely done.

Cheers for the game. I felt that's the best game iv played in a long time. Apologies u ended up on the end of it. I had all the space I felt and your pieces were a bit stuck in the corner. Apparently the analysis says I had mate in 3 for a few moves but there was noway I was seeing it 🤣

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Cheers for the game. I felt that's the best game iv played in a long time. Apologies u ended up on the end of it. I had all the space I felt and your pieces were a bit stuck in the corner. Apparently the analysis says I had mate in 3 for a few moves but there was noway I was seeing it 🤣

You were indeed very good.

I'm aware that I don't develop pieces quickly enough and it's something I need to address (among other things). My rating on chess.com fluctuates between the high 900s (which is where it was last night) to the mid 900s (which is where it is now). Playing so many concurrent games has plusses and minuses - there are times when I win 6 in a row, times when I lose 6 in a row - some consistency would be good but overall playing lots of concurrent games has generally improved my play.  Sometimes.

45 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Division A

Round 10

AimHere overcomes some early aggression to beat Ziggy_the_Spider in a count-the-pawn moves endgame. It's a three-way tie between me, Ziggy and Board_Stupid at the top of Division A...

A very annoying game from my pov. 

I got into a great position, shat it and then made 3 mistakes & 1 blunder in a row. 😂

You took advantage well though, I think Bh6 is the best move played against me this season. It had never even crossed my mind.

Well played.

52 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

A very annoying game from my pov. 

I got into a great position, shat it and then made 3 mistakes & 1 blunder in a row. 😂

You took advantage well though, I think Bh6 is the best move played against me this season. It had never even crossed my mind.

Well played.

I don't like gambiting the d pawn in the Scandinavian. I do it occasionally. You do like to complicate things, the number of times there are multiple pieces en prise in games against you makes it too complicated. That's why I try to stick to the positional. 🙃

That was quite a game. I just played it through the fact neither of you could castle is always fun. Qh3+ is erroneous, it looks natural but you start to lose the initiative which is odd given it was a check. I guess Kf1 was maybe a surprise? It looks like the white king is striding towards danger. I still don't get why you declined Bxg4 hitting the Queen twice. It is the initiative holding move. I don't know if you were suffering a bit of tilt? c6 is also pretty passive (very unlike you). Then all of a sudden you end up with a crap white square Bishop and white becomes much more active. 

It keeps the Division interesting though. Being neutral (if I don't wear my AUFC cap) that is no bad thing.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Aim Here said:
Division A
Round 10
AimHere overcomes some early aggression to beat Ziggy_the_Spider in a count-the-pawn moves endgame. It's a three-way tie between me, Ziggy and Board_Stupid at the top of Division A...

Ziggy's first defeat isn't it?

Yep. I also dished out Board_Stupid's only defeat. Both have a game in hand over me, and they've yet to play each other the second time round, so I'm rooting for stalemate.

Edited by Aim Here

11 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Cup result.

Pleslie999 draws with @Albino Rover

Some match. I managed to blunder a rook after 3 moves then clawed my way back ending up miles ahead, failed to convert leaving a draw the only outcome. We go again with colours switched I believe? @Aim Here?

Brilliant Cup tie in which to be involved. After fluking an early lead I fell behind and was lucky to scrape the draw and force the replay.

All the best, PL. If the repeat leg is as dramatic as the first one, this'll go down as a classic.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Cup result.

Pleslie999 draws with @Albino Rover

Some match. I managed to blunder a rook after 3 moves then clawed my way back ending up miles ahead, failed to convert leaving a draw the only outcome. We go again with colours switched I believe? @Aim Here?

Exactly. A replay except that pleslie999 gets to be white.