P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Ziggy beats Arabjoe in the league.

A strange game. It only lasted 19 moves, neither side castled and half of joe’s moves were moving his queen, normally to put me in check.

Thanks for the game, I’ve enjoyed both our games. There were points in both were thought I was in trouble.

Madwullie Cup Round 2

In what would surely have been one of the live Match of The Day televised matches, purely to see the minnows get absolutely slaughtered, IncomingExile makes a suicidal myopic Queen blunder in the opening few moves and then it was all one way traffic for Division A leader Ziggy. Cheers Ziggy, I expect we will only meet again in the Cup, barring a load of league resignations......... 

Reading others' comments on the 960 format and have to say I quite enjoyed it as one of the basement players.  If it did move to a normal rules competition,as others have suggested, then perhaps a supplementary 960 tournament for the first (and maybe second) round losers could be an idea? 

Edited by IncomingExile

1 hour ago, IncomingExile said:

Division C

After an epic battle with the league's wooden spoon potentially at stake, Strachanovski beats Incoming Exile by checkmate with his 87th move. I thought that not taking your rook sometime back in move fifty-something was risky and so it proved. Well played, I have really enjoyed both our matches. 

I would have resigned but after such a long game I couldn't bring myself to push the button, so made you carry on. Is that a breach of some form of etiquette?  If so I'II have to plead ignorance.  Look forward to the next game.

Longest game I have ever played! You had me beat I thought when you had my king trapped in the corner. Was even right until almost the end, I had to work very hard to get the win, you're playing better than the first game, keep going, and thanks for that epic battle! (think it was almost two weeks).

Cheers my man.

22 minutes ago, IncomingExile said:

Madwullie Cup Round 2

In what would surely have been one of the live Match of The Day televised matches, purely to see the minnows get absolutely slaughtered, IncomingExile makes a suicidal myopic Queen blunder in the opening few moves and then it was all one way traffic for Division A leader Ziggy. Cheers Ziggy, I expect we will only meet again in the Cup, barring a load of league resignations......... 

Reading others' comments on the 960 format and have to say I quite enjoyed it as one of the basement players.  If it did move to a normal rules competition,as others have suggested, then perhaps a supplementary 960 tournament for the first (and maybe second) round losers could be an idea? 

Thanks for the game. 

Maybe we could change the cup to a swiss format?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

13 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Also just consign me to the chess wasteland,
Two queens up in Div B match after a good defensive phase only to stalemate. Utter donkey dick. Even said to the kid I bet i’ll stalemate such is my lack of ability rn.32a4e0e300620795990e67cee4ae8605.jpg

I stalemated someone once when I was horsing them. They offered me a free piece and I had captured it before I realised it was stalemate. It was at a tournament as well so even more embarrassing. I could hear the sniggering. Haven't let it happen again mind. Suggest you do likewise.

Can any Div A players give me a few friendlies and give me some pointers? I have the ideas; I know the theory, but like curmudgeon said I think I’m just too used to blitz so I just go with my gut first move instead of just slowing down and thinking.

22 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Division B

Invergowrie beats TheKid1433 @the tungston weasel by resignation.

I was lucky enough to run into a horrible queen blunder for the second game in a row.

GG

Yup,  but it'd pressure that makes those blunders.

Good game.

I stalemated someone once when I was horsing them. They offered me a free piece and I had captured it before I realised it was stalemate. It was at a tournament as well so even more embarrassing. I could hear the sniggering. Haven't let it happen again mind. Suggest you do likewise.

I haven’t been able to eliminate stalemating from a dominating end game position ever since I started playing chess seriously; I don’t know why I do it. I know checkmate patterns. It’s surely just a lack of attention. I’d rather just fucking lose tbh.

25 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Also just consign me to the chess wasteland,
Two queens up in Div B match after a good defensive phase only to stalemate. Utter donkey dick. Even said to the kid I bet i’ll stalemate such is my lack of ability rn.32a4e0e300620795990e67cee4ae8605.jpg

Really unlucky mate.  After you made the first queen I thought I made it a little complex at first to finish me with the 2pawns up top but after you swatted that away I was sure you were on to finishing me off.  Perhaps for the end making a rook would have kept it simpler.