P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division B, Round 5

@pleslie999 defeats N5_Spur by resignation.

Not too dissimilar to my previous loss to Invergowrie - Queens exchanged fairly early, then an unforced error in me giving my castle away, and from then on it was my trying to play catch-up, unsuccessfully, with my opponent having me on the backfoot, in the main. 

2 straight wins followed by 3 straight defeats - back to the real world.

Nicely done, Sir, well played.

23 hours ago, Albino Rover said:

I got absolutely battered in this one. Brilliant chessing from Mackieboz.

Oh, great..... I've got him next. Going to send someone around to the hotel at 3am to bang some pots and pans and set off the fire alarm, then let the tyres down on the team coach and maybe turn all the road signs around. 

Then I'll find out I'm the away side.  

5 hours ago, N5 Spur said:

Division B, Round 5

@pleslie999 defeats N5_Spur by resignation.

Not too dissimilar to my previous loss to Invergowrie - Queens exchanged fairly early, then an unforced error in me giving my castle away, and from then on it was my trying to play catch-up, unsuccessfully, with my opponent having me on the backfoot, in the main. 

2 straight wins followed by 3 straight defeats - back to the real world.

Nicely done, Sir, well played.

Good game, thanks. Wasn't keen on the early queen trade but felt I had no option. Always felt I was slightly ahead thanks to a fairly solid position and the rook for Bishop trade kept me in good shape. Once the simplification started it was always likely 1 of my pawns would get through.

Currently in a proper 60 move slog with @mathematics. It's close to the end. I can't lose the match but a win is very much up in the air. Could be a lot of chess left even though there's only 5 pieces on the board 

Pleslie999 beats pnbmathematics by checkmate

This one should be 1st up on MOTD. 75 moves, an absolute slog, I thought I was miles ahead then allowed my opponent back in, got a bit scrappy with not much happening. My opponent offered a draw when things weren't looking too good for either of us but I had a rook v Knight and soldiered on. My opponents 2 knights danced around casing me all sorts of issues and constantly had to be on the lookout for forks. Had to be careful not to draw by repetition which led to me giving up 2 pawns. Managed to force 1 hardy wee pawn up the board to promote which was enough to see it out. Thanks for the game.

Division A

Round 4

AH13STU and AimHere ended up in a position that looked a bit too spiky and dangerous for either of our tastes, so in a fit of abject cowardice, we both repeated moves until the game threw in the towel

I'm claiming the moral high ground since the game analysis suggests that AH13 was in a marginally better position and was the one forcing the issue with constant checks, so he was the one who had more leeway to play for a win!

AimHere and AH13STU draw by repetition.

Table and fixtures for Division A

Division A P W D L Pts
AimHere 6 3 2 1 11
AH13STU 4 2 2 0 8
Ziggy_the_Spider 3 2 1 0 7
Board_Stupid 3 2 0 1 6
Arabjoe 4 1 0 3 3
Purplekangaroo89 3 0 1 2 1
beef2711 0 0 0 0 0
gkneil 3 0 0 3 0

Round 7

gkneil vs Ziggy_the_Spider
AimHere vs beef2711
AH13STU vs Purplekangaroo89
Arabjoe vs Board_Stupid

Round 8
beef2711 vs gkneil
AH13STU vs Ziggy_the_Spider
AimHere vs Board_Stupid
Arabjoe vs Purplekangaroo89

Beef2711 seems to be a fair bit behind with his fixtures but I see some still extant on chess.com; it's about to get confusing as to whether it's the home or away fixture so bear in mind you'll need to clarify  when the results get reported @Stringer Bell

As always, the results and calculations are on the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTFYYhhNWBObdMMS9BM-0teqA1DQQjAgnL0PsODXi5U/edit#gid=1480457113

Results and Fixtures for Division B

Division B P W D L Pts
pleslie999 6 5 0 1 15
invergowrie 5 4 0 1 12
markf268 5 2 1 2 7
PnBMathematics 5 2 1 2 7
N5_Spur 5 2 0 3 6
The_kid1433 5 1 0 4 3
XCTR94 5 1 0 4 3

Round 7
The_kid1433 vs markf268
invergowrie vs PnBMathematics
XCTR94 vs N5_Spur

Round 8
invergowrie vs pleslie999
The_kid1433 vs N5_Spur
XCTR94 vs PnBMathematics

Table and Fixtures for Division C

Division C P W D L Pts
AlbinoRov 6 5 0 1 15
Dandies1983 5 4 0 1 12
mackieboz 6 3 1 2 10
KenDeans 5 3 0 2 9
Basedgodsa1nt 6 3 0 3 9
RBWatson 5 2 0 3 6
Strachanovski 5 1 1 3 4
IncomingExile 6 0 0 6 0

Round 7
IncomingExile vs mackieboz
RBWatson vs Basedgodsa1nt
Strachanovski vs AlbinoRov
KenDeans vs Dandies1983

Round 8
Basedgodsa1nt vs IncomingExile
Strachanovski vs mackieboz
RBWatson vs Dandies1983
KenDeans vs AlbinoRov

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I hate 960, I chucked a whole queen earlier in this game. It was a one move threat as well. I got distracted by my daughter (that's my excuse at any rate). I've fought back a bit but not making it easy for myself.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Good stuff. Taking the stronger players out of their comfort zone and levelling the playing field is exactly what 960 is good for. Your extensive 25-move deep knowledge of the Steinitz variations of Exchange Nimzo-Scandinavian theory aren't going to help you here. This is the game that demands raw chess skill, free of such decadent fripperies as opening theory and knowing what the hell you're supposed to do in the first ten moves.

Edited by Aim Here

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Good stuff. Taking the stronger players out of their comfort zone and levelling the playing field is exactly what 960 is good for. Your extensive 25-move deep knowledge of the Steinitz variations of Exchange Nimzo-Scandinavian theory aren't going to help you here. This is the game that demands raw chess skill, free of such decadent fripperies as opening theory and knowing what the hell you're supposed to do in the first ten moves.

Aye, I suppose so. 🙃

Madwullie Cup Result.

Dearyme defeats markf268 @true_rover by resignation. I couldn't believe it when I chucked my Queen. Good game mate. You were a wee bit unlucky with the finish, the bank rank was too exposed when you lifted the Queen.