P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

38 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think there's something not quite right with Division A/B, possibly doing Pk89 a bit of a disservice. Although he lost the playoff he still finished above Invergowrie in the table.

Happy to go with either structure.

Oops, just a brainfart when creating the leagues. Invergowrie is definitely going down a tier, unless we switch to a two-tier system! I'll have to think about how to balance the league if we stick with three divisions.

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Oops, just a brainfart when creating the leagues. Invergowrie is definitely going down a tier, unless we switch to a two-tier system! I'll have to think about how to balance the league if we stick with three divisions.

This day gets worse and worse 

9 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Tell me your chess.com ID and we'll fit you in somewhere!

AlbinoRov

(Feel free to challenge me to a pre-season bounce game, those who know what they are doing)

Edited by Albino Rover

I've just seen this and registered on Chess.com as IncomingExile but haven't yet played any games to figure out how the site works....... 

If not too late then I'd be happy to join the bottom of Group C where I would expect to remain. Someone will have to walk me through the settings on the game though, bit complicated at first glance! Have only ever played against computer opponents so this will be new. 

Usually online daily but at different times.....

Welcome

@Aim Here has laid out the league rules a couple of pages back and I'm quite sure he'll be able to get you in without any issues. I think The_kid will likely now be promoted to even the divisions out.

It's a minimum of one move a day (although games are generally played more quickly than that) so you don't need to worry about setting aside a specific time to play your games.

The league will be due to resume fairly soon so look out for the fixtures posted here.

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Welcome

@Aim Here has laid out the league rules a couple of pages back and I'm quite sure he'll be able to get you in without any issues. I think The_kid will likely now be promoted to even the divisions out.

It's a minimum of one move a day (although games are generally played more quickly than that) so you don't need to worry about setting aside a specific time to play your games.

The league will be due to resume fairly soon so look out for the fixtures posted here.

Thanks very much Curmudgeon, I've read through the last few pages, and will figure out the Chess.com site as I go. I'm guessing that I just look out for the game invitation, check it against the list of user names on this thread, and then lose very quickly from there....... 

@Aim Here if it's too late then I'm happy to sit out the season and play 'friendlies' instead against others from this thread. 

1 hour ago, IncomingExile said:

Thanks very much Curmudgeon, I've read through the last few pages, and will figure out the Chess.com site as I go. I'm guessing that I just look out for the game invitation, check it against the list of user names on this thread, and then lose very quickly from there....... 

@Aim Here if it's too late then I'm happy to sit out the season and play 'friendlies' instead against others from this thread. 

It's certainly not too late and the more the merrier. We'll certainly stick you in. You can always send the invitations yourself if you're feeling proactive!

Edited by Aim Here

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

It's certainly not too late and the more the merrier. We'll certainly stick you in.

Thanks very much. I look forward to helping other players improve their win ratio.  I'm off now to drink cider and eat lots of fruit, because you'd said something about quick moves.

Okay, here's the last provisional league construction.

There wasn't a big consensus in favour of the two-tier system, so I figure we'd stick with three divisions for now. There's 23 players, so we're going with two 8-team divisions and one 7-team division. To balance the leagues, I promoted playoff loser the_kid1433, and gave gkneil an unexpected promotion, and also saved PurpleKangaroo89 from his non-automatic relegation. To be honest I'm not sure about the PK89 save - I could have just gone with a 7-team division A and left PK89 down there, or promoted pleslie999 instead of PurpleKangaroo89; none of the three options jump out at me as the obvious one from a sporting integrity point of view, and if you feel my decision is capricious and unfair and arbitrary, you're damn right! The most compelling deciding factor was that an 8-team Division A would be likely to piss off one fewer person. League reconstruction is hard as Ann Budge no doubt can testify).

Barring any last-minute changes, we'll therefore have

Division A P W D L Pts
AH13STU 0 0 0 0 0
AimHere 0 0 0 0 0
Arabjoe 0 0 0 0 0
beef2711 0 0 0 0 0
Board_Stupid 0 0 0 0 0
gkneil 0 0 0 0 0
Purplekangaroo89 0 0 0 0 0
Ziggy_the_Spider 0 0 0 0 0

Division B P W D L Pts
invergowrie 0 0 0 0 0
markf268 0 0 0 0 0
N5_Spur 0 0 0 0 0
pleslie999 0 0 0 0 0
PnBMathematics 0 0 0 0 0
The_kid1433 0 0 0 0 0
XCTR94 0 0 0 0 0

Division C P W D L Pts
AlbinoRov 0 0 0 0 0
Basedgodsa1nt 0 0 0 0 0
Dandies1983 0 0 0 0 0
IncomingExile 0 0 0 0 0
KenDeans 0 0 0 0 0
mackieboz 0 0 0 0 0
RBWatson 0 0 0 0 0
Strachanovski 0 0 0 0 0

All going to plan, I'll generate the fixture list tomorrow and set the league rolling...

Okay, time to start the ball rolling. The first sets of fixtures are

Division A

gkneil vs beef2711
Ziggy_the_Spider vs AH13STU
Board_Stupid vs AimHere
Purplekangaroo89 vs Arabjoe

AH13STU vs gkneil
beef2711 vs Board_Stupid
Arabjoe vs Ziggy_the_Spider
AimHere vs Purplekangaroo89

--

Division B (Because there's an odd number of players, one player sits out every round, so some weeks there's only one game)

pleslie999 vs invergowrie
N5_Spur vs The_kid1433
PnBMathematics vs XCTR94

markf268 vs N5_Spur
XCTR94 vs pleslie999
The_kid1433 vs PnBMathematics

--

Division C

IncomingExile vs Basedgodsa1nt
mackieboz vs Strachanovski
Dandies1983 vs RBWatson
AlbinoRov vs KenDeans

Strachanovski vs IncomingExile
Basedgodsa1nt vs Dandies1983
KenDeans vs mackieboz
RBWatson vs AlbinoRov

--

Results and tables are calculated in the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTFYYhhNWBObdMMS9BM-0teqA1DQQjAgnL0PsODXi5U/edit#gid=463367305 if you need to check old results or think there's a mistake or whatever.