P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

6 hours ago, Aim Here said:

The rules were that the games were voided - we're treating it as though GCarlos9 was never in the competition to begin with and it was a seven person league.

Plus, more pertinently, we have a high rate of new players coming in and leaving compared to normal leagues and the league structure is a bit ad-hoc. We don't know how many players are in the leagues from one season to the next so the playoffs are to decide who gets priority at whatever next season's cutoff point happens to be, rather than a definite 'Player A goes up/Player B goes down' thing. If we definitely knew there were going to be 8 players in Division A next season, there wouldn't be a need for a playoff (AH13STU would get a bye), but we don't know that, alas.

For instance, if fewer players show up and we only have a seven-person Division A next time, is it fair to deny AH13STU his chance of promotion because @Loki dropped out? (Obviously if GCarlos9 resolves the chess.com issues and comes back, he'd be a better candidate to drop down)

Yeah I’m not coming back, especially since my mortal enemy Dearyme is retiring.

Think I beat him once when the cup game was stacked in my favour 😂

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

The Cup final has been played out, and to nobody's surprise, DearyMe, aka @Trogdor is the well-deserved winner of the Season 5 Madwullie Cup!

Congratulations!

Good game mate. With that I announce a sabbatical from the league for season six.

Good luck one and all, I will be back for season seven.

chess playing GIF

Okay, the current headcount of Season 6 players is 18, which is a fair few down on last season.

Just to poke some folks into action, I don't have answers from @Omar Little @gkneil @wastecoatwilly . @craigkillie I'm assuming is coming back because he's playing in the playoffs.

And there's @Stellaboz and @Leeds Saint who dropped out, and are more than welcome to drop back in again.

And of course any new players are absolutely welcome to sign up to have a go. It would be nice if @Frank Grimes could show up and change the thread name to advertise callups, just in case we suck in a couple.

• Frank Grimes changed the title to P&B Chess League - Season 6 coming soon, apply within!
2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Okay, the current headcount of Season 6 players is 18, which is a fair few down on last season.

Just to poke some folks into action, I don't have answers from @Omar Little @gkneil @wastecoatwilly . @craigkillie I'm assuming is coming back because he's playing in the playoffs.

And there's @Stellaboz and @Leeds Saint who dropped out, and are more than welcome to drop back in again.

And of course any new players are absolutely welcome to sign up to have a go. It would be nice if @Frank Grimes could show up and change the thread name to advertise callups, just in case we suck in a couple.

In again pal

2 hours ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

I'd potentially be up for joining if possible.

I've not played in 20 years but just reading over the first few pages and currently makes a chess.com account and trying to figure it out.

Sure thing. Just tell me your chess.com ID and I'll stick you in!

Okay, we have 22 signups (curiously Division C winner @wastecoatwilly hasn't responded, despite already being pinged once), and it's probably not worth waiting any longer for more.

That suggests a 7/7/8 league system (meaning we can keep continuity between seasons and the playoffs are meaningful)

There's also the possibility of a two-tier 11-player division.

The three tier system looks like this:

Division A P W D L Pts
AH13STU 0 0 0 0 0
AimHere 0 0 0 0 0
Arabjoe 0 0 0 0 0
beef2711 0 0 0 0 0
Board_Stupid 0 0 0 0 0
invergowrie 0 0 0 0 0
Ziggy_the_Spider 0 0 0 0 0

Division B P W D L Pts
gkneil 0 0 0 0 0
markf268 0 0 0 0 0
N5_Spur 0 0 0 0 0
pleslie999 0 0 0 0 0
PnBMathematics 0 0 0 0 0
Purplekangaroo89 0 0 0 0 0
XCTR94 0 0 0 0 0

Division C P W D L Pts
Basedgodsa1nt 0 0 0 0 0
Dandies1983 0 0 0 0 0
KenDeans 0 0 0 0 0
mackieboz 0 0 0 0 0
RBWatson 0 0 0 0 0
Strachanovski 0 0 0 0 0
The_kid1433 0 0 0 0 0
paakman01 0 0 0 0 0

With the 2-tier system, people will be assigned to tiers according to whether they finished in the top-half or bottom half of division B (and I'd be tempted to stick  promotees from Division C into the top tier and the relegationaries from Division A into the bottom tier). Let me know if there's a groundswell of support for league restructuring along those lines.

It's not too late to sign up, of course.

If the consensus is to go with the above, I'll set the fixtures up in the next few days and start the season rolling.

Edited by Aim Here