P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division B, Match 7

N5 Spur defeats XCTR94 / @SweeperDee by checkmate.

Really good game on both sides, in the main, that had a number of game-changing moments.  I felt I had the opening and early part of the mid-game, being a couple of pieces ahead and then looking to finish early by a lot of attacking. However, my opponent's excellent defence plus making the most of my (arrogant) unforced error (taking of my castle with his queen when I was being a bit too gung-ho in attacking) swung the game in his favour.  A short burst of him chasing my king across the board put the in the ascendency but a sudden (very early in the morning) misplacing of his queen allowed me to fork (I think) both queen and king, and subsequently have a significant advantage, with the game ending not too long after in my favour.  Hope that tells it how is was.

Really could have gone either way - well played but unlucky.

19 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I suppose so. 🙃

Madwullie Cup Result.

Dearyme defeats markf268 @true_rover by resignation. I couldn't believe it when I chucked my Queen. Good game mate. You were a wee bit unlucky with the finish, the bank rank was too exposed when you lifted the Queen.

I very much dislike 960 - continue my run of losing first round every time!

Well played to turn it around.

On 25/09/2022 at 16:54, Trogdor said:

I hate 960

53 minutes ago, true_rover said:

I very much dislike 960

Me three - I'm very glad I got a bye so I can at least avoid a 1st round exit.

Is there scope for a non-960 chess Cup? (Or is that overkill with too many tournaments to organise all at one time?)

37 minutes ago, Albino Rover said:

Me three - I'm very glad I got a bye so I can at least avoid a 1st round exit.

Is there scope for a non-960 chess Cup? (Or is that overkill with too many tournaments to organise all at one time?)

Certainly the amount of dissent is suggestive that we might look into changing the cup format next season.

22 minutes ago, true_rover said:

Would a handicap format work?

So the instant questions on that are:

How would you decide what the handicap is? Even ranking the players with the league, how strong do you make the handicap?

Can it be played on chess.com or similar?

Can you get both weaker and stronger players on board? If anything, 960 puts stronger players at a relative disadvantage because a lot of experience and learned knowledge of the start position doesn't apply anymore, and some of the people who've expressed a dislike for 960 - Ziggy and DearyMe for instance - fit in this bracket.

You've just managed to get yourself a queen up against arguably the best chess player on P&B, and he's annoyed at 960 because he blundered into that position; you're seemingly annoyed because you didn't manage to win despite getting that advantage. I'm not sure how to go about creating a handicap system that reconciles both those views!

Edited by Aim Here

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

So the instant questions on that are:

How would you decide what the handicap is? Even ranking the players with the league, how strong do you make the handicap?

Can it be played on chess.com or similar?

Can you get both weaker and stronger players on board? If anything, 960 puts stronger players at a relative disadvantage because a lot of experience and learned knowledge of the start position doesn't apply anymore, and some of the people who've expressed a dislike for 960 - Ziggy and DearyMe for instance - fit in this bracket.

You've just managed to get yourself a queen up against arguably the best chess player on P&B, and he's annoyed at 960 because he blundered into that position; you're seemingly annoyed because you didn't manage to win despite getting that advantage. I'm not sure how to go about creating a handicap system that reconciles both those views!

Not sure how well or otherwise it works, but have seen a balanced game come up when sending invites for matches - pretty sure it takes some pieces away at the start from the stronger player. Would rely on our chess.com rankings being relatively accurate!

I'm ok if we keep going with 960 as well, I'm just frustrated that I'm worse than my mediocre level of regular chess!

2 hours ago, true_rover said:

I'm ok if we keep going with 960 as well, I'm just frustrated that I'm worse than my mediocre level of regular chess!

Are you really? You just spent 10-15 moves in a clearly winning position against DearyMe, from move 5 onwards. That's just not happening in regular chess. DearyMe would play the first 6-8 moves in his sleep in regular chess and you would never be more than half-a-pawn ahead, if you play perfectly. He slowly ground your advantage out over time, but he does that to everyone, outside of maybe the top 1 or 2 in Division A. He's the Anatoly Karpov of P&B.

In football analogy, you're Alloa drawn against Celtic in the first stage of the  Scottish Cup and you think you played badly because you lost after being 3-0 up at half time. It may be frustrating to get bumped off so early, but that's more to do with the relative quality of your opponent and the luck of the draw, rather than the specific game format.

Edited by Aim Here

8 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Are you really? You just spent 10-15 moves in a clearly winning position against DearyMe, from move 5 onwards. That's just not happening in regular chess. DearyMe would play the first 6-8 moves in his sleep in regular chess and you would never be more than half-a-pawn ahead, if you play perfectly. He slowly ground your advantage out over time, but he does that to everyone, outside of maybe the top 1 or 2 in Division A. He's the Anatoly Karpov of P&B.

In football analogy, you're Alloa drawn against Celtic in the first stage of the  Scottish Cup and you think you played badly because you lost after being 3-0 up at half time. It may be frustrating to get bumped off so early, but that's more to do with the relative quality of your opponent and the luck of the draw, rather than the specific game format.

It’s not a great claim to fame….but I used to play in the same Glasgow League team as a guy who once drew with Karpov.

21 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Certainly the amount of dissent is suggestive that we might look into changing the cup format next season.

Didn't enter this season. My view is should b like the Scottish Cup. You play who you draw at regular chess n take your luck if you get it. At the very least I want to improve n am happy to play anyone. My tuppence worth.

16 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

Didn't enter this season. My view is should b like the Scottish Cup. You play who you draw at regular chess n take your luck if you get it. At the very least I want to improve n am happy to play anyone. My tuppence worth.

This was what I had in mind - but as an additional tournament rather than a replacement, with 960 being the "League Cup". But I appreciate organising 3 leagues and a cup is already quite a lot!

I quite like 960 being an option for those who want to participate. It has a "wildcard" element to it, and I am actually looking forward to my Second Round tie to see how I get on.

The_kid1433 / @the tungston weasel defeats N5 Spur by checkmate with a neat piece of work with 2 pawns giving me grief (one of which was promoted and put me in checkmate) at the end game, when I think it seemed (to me at least) that the game was heading my way.  A close game overall but the smart move made all the difference.

Very nicely played.