P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

8 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Pleslie999 beats invergowrie by resignation

A tight game, I was in real good shape after the opening but had zero ideas what to do in the middle game which allowed my opponent back into it. 1 loan pawn that forced his way up the board was the difference, he didn't promote but caused carnage and cost my opponent a couple pieces.

Aye exactly this. 

I was miles behind on development after forgetting which variation the Scandinavian I was playing.

I was a bit more bold in the middle game than you and was possibly ahead for a bit but misjudged some trades and left it too late to deal with THAT pawn.

Good game 

Div A - Rd 2

Ziggy beats Arabjoe by resignation.

Not my best game, I sacrificed a pawn for open lines and a lead in development but then didn’t follow it up correctly.

It was still a tricky position for white to play though and a couple of inaccuracies helped me.

Thanks for the game.

Dandies destroys BasedGodSa1nt.

I've been trying to get myself up to speed and learn more about chess.com. I've been playing quite often to learn to navigate the site and to try pick chess back up again. I've been playing live matches and been getting beat by 600/700 rated players so needless to say my match against Dandies was very one sided.

Well played Dandies, I don't think you ever broke a sweat there. I'll keep playing more often and hopefully for the return leg I'll give you a slightly better challenge.

Good luck and well played.

1 minute ago, BaSeDG0DSA1NT said:

Dandies destroys BasedGodSa1nt.

I've been trying to get myself up to speed and learn more about chess.com. I've been playing quite often to learn to navigate the site and to try pick chess back up again. I've been playing live matches and been getting beat by 600/700 rated players so needless to say my match against Dandies was very one sided.

Well played Dandies, I don't think you ever broke a sweat there. I'll keep playing more often and hopefully for the return leg I'll give you a slightly better challenge.

Good luck and well played.

Hard lines buddy, good luck for the season 

Division A

Round 2

I try a slightly late Evans gambit-style b4 pawn sacrifice which just resulted in me carelessly bleeding material (6 points of material down at one point) before launching a comeback that had me within a bawhair of checkmating Purplekangaroo89, but, alas, he escaped with a forced repetition draw, and despite me having dodged a bullet, I still feel disappointed to have not won. A nice, sharp game with plenty of nasty threats on the table - exactly the kind of game you never expect to end in a draw.

AimHere and PurpleKangaroo89 draw by repetition

Division C Round 2 - Strachanovski beats IncomingExile by checkmate. Well played and from quite early on I was merely trying to see how long I could last.

I had set out to be more defensive after my first game but never developed an attack after trying to tie down your queen. 

Somewhere out there is a style between 'George Graham's famous back four' and my usual 'Blitzkrieg Suicide'!

Division B, Round 2

N5 Spur defeats markf268 (true_rover) by checkmate.

Close game overall, with not much in during the opening and mid-game. My opponent was a couple of pawns ahead by mid-game but we were soon equal and were each left with both castles and equal pawns.  A move on my opponents home rank put me a castle ahead and I then used the piece advantage to checkmate.

Really could have gone either way for most of the game.

Enjoyed it, thanks.

5 hours ago, IncomingExile said:

Division C Round 2 - Strachanovski beats IncomingExile by checkmate. Well played and from quite early on I was merely trying to see how long I could last.

I had set out to be more defensive after my first game but never developed an attack after trying to tie down your queen. 

Somewhere out there is a style between 'George Graham's famous back four' and my usual 'Blitzkrieg Suicide'!

Thanks, keep playing, it's the only way to improve.