P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

2 hours ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Division A 

Beef2711 beats Invergowrie

A tight game until I managed to take advantage of a couple of errors

Good game. Same old story. I can keep it stuffy but struggle to pose danger.

As an aside surely Qd1 is not the best move here 

Screenshot_20220624-134053_Chess.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Good game. Same old story. I can keep it stuffy but struggle to pose danger.

As an aside surely Qd1 is not the best move here 

Screenshot_20220624-134053_Chess.jpg

It's certainly better than Qe3, which loses the rook to the Qb2 fork. From the looks of things, the moves that don't lose material right away are Re8, Qb2, Qa3, Qc4 and Qd1. Qd1 looks just as good as any of those.

22 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

It's certainly better than Qe3, which loses the rook to the Qb2 fork. From the looks of things, the moves that don't lose material right away are Re8, Qb2, Qa3, Qc4 and Qd1. Qd1 looks just as good as any of those.

Surely next move is Nf3 check losing the queen to rook or to pawn by Queen taking Knight?

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Surely next move is Nf3 check losing the queen to rook or to pawn by Queen taking Knight?

Yes, absolutely correct, you'd lose your queen.

Although at that stage of the game it recognises that you're pretty much beaten so it favours the move which prolongs the game the longest.

Qe3 shows that checkmate could be arrived at in another 8 moves. Qd1 could've kept it going for a bit longer than that despite losing your queen although ultimately it really wouldn't make any difference to the outcome.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Apparently, according to the chess.com analysis, swapping off the queen for the knight stops the forced mate for a couple more moves, because you can bring your e6 rook down to the bottom rank to slow the inexorable march of the beefy juggernaut for a move or two. It's mate-in-12 versus mate-in-10!

Two losses in Group B, rounds 9 & 10:

@gkneil wins by checkmate. I think the game was won (or lost) in mid-game after @gkneil captured my knight without me being able to go like-for-like. After that point, the extra piece meant I was on the back foot.

@true_rover wins by resignation. Captured my queen in a smart move midgame whilst placing me in check, and from then on it was just a matter of time.

Well played, gentlemen, thanks.

2 hours ago, N5 Spur said:

Two losses in Group B, rounds 9 & 10:

@gkneil wins by checkmate. I think the game was won (or lost) in mid-game after @gkneil captured my knight without me being able to go like-for-like. After that point, the extra piece meant I was on the back foot.

@true_rover wins by resignation. Captured my queen in a smart move midgame whilst placing me in check, and from then on it was just a matter of time.

Well played, gentlemen, thanks.

And also a win for gkneil over me by resignation. Succumbed to his pressure by blundering and there was never any coming back.

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

@Ziggyhas timed put against me. I also see he's timed out against @Trogdorand @Aim Here so I hope he's ok and he's just having technology issues or otherwise temporarily unavailable.

His account still seems to be valid so it's not a suspension issue.

This, I hope Ziggy is alright. He's finally managed to string a run of form together in the league and doesn't deserve a triple time out imo.

Div B

XCTR94 beats AH13STU by resignation.

Cracking game of chess; I arrive into endgame -2/3 but my positioning was better; was able to draw his king and horse into unfavourable positions to allow my pawns to advance to what would have been a promotion. Midgame was fantastic, I ended up blundering and thinking shit, that’s going to be that but thankfully I was able to tighten up defensively and eek it out to the end. Cheers for the game.

4d5ea577c74255e95633d561e72ad6af.jpg

Fixtures and Results for Division A.

@Ziggy has been AWOL these last couple of days and timed out in three games; hopefully he's fine and it's just a network connectivity thing or something. His timed out games have been provisionally marked as losses, but if he comes back, I'm willing to continue the game from where we left off, and retroactively twiddle the scores.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 9 6 2 1 20
Dearyme 7 5 2 0 17
Ziggy_the_Spider 9 5 1 3 16
beef2711 7 4 0 3 12
AimHere 7 3 0 4 9
invergowrie 8 1 0 7 3
Purplekangaroo89 7 0 1 6 1

Round 11
Ziggy_the_Spider vs invergowrie
beef2711 vs AimHere
Purplekangaroo89 vs Dearyme

Round 12
beef2711 vs Ziggy_the_Spider
AimHere vs Purplekangaroo89
Dearyme vs Board_Stupid

As ever, the workings are in the google spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDG_Vg5HNiTYsSumfzhsV3H9K6B8N85fbfmoRsJc4jg/ in case anyone doesn't trust me not to make mistakes (I wouldn't trust me to not make mistakes either).

The madwullie cup draw is waiting on one result, the spicy pleslie999 versus PurpleKangaroo89 fixture, and it'll happen once the result comes in. I've been keeping an eye on it, and PurpleKanga has already gained a bit of a material advantage, though the pendulum looks like it's starting to swing the other way with pleslie putting on a bit of counterpressure.

Fixtures and Results for Division B.

Division B P W D L Pts
AH13STU 7 5 0 2 15
Arabjoe 7 5 0 2 15
gkneil 8 5 0 3 15
markf268 8 5 0 3 15
pleslie999 8 5 0 3 15
XCTR94 9 4 0 5 12
PnBMathematics 7 3 0 4 9
N5_Spur 9 2 0 7 6
paakman01 9 2 0 7 6

Round 11
N5_Spur vs PnBMathematics
AH13STU vs paakman01
Arabjoe vs markf268
pleslie999 vs gkneil

Round 12
paakman01 vs XCTR94
PnBMathematics vs Arabjoe
gkneil vs AH13STU
markf268 vs pleslie999

Edited by Aim Here

Fixtures and table for Division C

Division C P W D L Pts
wastecoatwilly 6 6 0 0 18
The_kid1433 7 5 0 2 15
KenDeans 6 2 0 4 6
Dandies1983 4 1 0 3 3
Strachanovski 4 1 0 3 3
RBWatson 5 1 0 4 3

Round 11
Strachanovski vs The_kid1433
wastecoatwilly vs KenDeans

Round 12
The_kid1433 vs Dandies1983
RBWatson vs wastecoatwilly
KenDeans vs Strachanovski

29 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Fixtures and Results for Division A.

@Ziggy has been AWOL these last couple of days and timed out in three games; hopefully he's fine and it's just a network connectivity thing or something. His timed out games have been provisionally marked as losses, but if he comes back, I'm willing to continue the game from where we left off, and retroactively twiddle the scores.

Division A P W D L Pts
Board_Stupid 9 6 2 1 20
Dearyme 7 5 2 0 17
Ziggy_the_Spider 9 5 1 3 16
beef2711 7 4 0 3 12
AimHere 7 3 0 4 9
invergowrie 8 1 0 7 3
Purplekangaroo89 7 0 1 6 1

Round 11
Ziggy_the_Spider vs invergowrie
beef2711 vs AimHere
Purplekangaroo89 vs Dearyme

Round 12
beef2711 vs Ziggy_the_Spider
AimHere vs Purplekangaroo89
Dearyme vs Board_Stupid

As ever, the workings are in the google spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDG_Vg5HNiTYsSumfzhsV3H9K6B8N85fbfmoRsJc4jg/ in case anyone doesn't trust me not to make mistakes (I wouldn't trust me to not make mistakes either).

The madwullie cup draw is waiting on one result, the spicy pleslie999 versus PurpleKangaroo89 fixture, and it'll happen once the result comes in. I've been keeping an eye on it, and PurpleKanga has already gained a bit of a material advantage, though the pendulum looks like it's starting to swing the other way with pleslie putting on a bit of counterpressure.

Not sure about that, iv felt pinned up against a wall for the last week 🤣🤣

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Round 8
PnBMathematics beats gkneil by resignation 

What an arse I made of that game. Well and truly deserved to be put to the sword 

Fixtures and Results for Division B.
Division B P W D L Pts
AH13STU 7 5 0 2 15
Arabjoe 7 5 0 2 15
gkneil 8 5 0 3 15
markf268 8 5 0 3 15
pleslie999 8 5 0 3 15
XCTR94 9 4 0 5 12
PnBMathematics 7 3 0 4 9
N5_Spur 9 2 0 7 6
paakman01 9 2 0 7 6

Round 11
N5_Spur vs PnBMathematics
AH13STU vs paakman01
Arabjoe vs markf268
pleslie999 vs gkneil
Round 12
paakman01 vs XCTR94
PnBMathematics vs Arabjoe
gkneil vs AH13STU
markf268 vs pleslie999

Div B is so tight I can practically hear it squeak.