P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

First things first, the draw for the first set of Season 5 Madwullie Cup fixtures
In order to get a nice, even power of 2 players for round 2, there's a lot of bye rounds.
These poor saps have to play the Round 1 fixtures
AimHere vs gkneil
Arabjoe vs Leeds_Saint
Board_Stupid vs beef2711
XCTR94 vs Dandies1983
GCarlos9 vs invergowrie
pleslie999 vs Purplekangaroo89
--
These lucky, lucky b*****ds get a bye into Round 2:
N5_Spur
Strachanovski
Dearyme
AH13STU
PnBMathematics
mackieboz
wastecoatwilly
The_kid1433
KenDeans
RBWatson
markf268
Remember that the games here are Chess960, which uses randomized startup positions (and alters the castling rule accordingly). It's very much the same game, except that there's less reliance on standard openings. If you need more details, try the Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_random_chess
As ever, all the Season 5 results and tables are recorded at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XDG_Vg5HNiTYsSumfzhsV3H9K6B8N85fbfmoRsJc4jg/

Yass! First time ever made it to the 2nd round

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Yip,not sure if you've counted me playing Mackieboz,he resigned after 4 moves because I trapped his knight but I think that's 6 M8.

I haven't. You disguised your match report as a one-line offhand sympathetic comment to mackieboz and I missed it when scanning for results. I've updated the spreadsheet. Sadly, the result might be voided anyways if mackieboz drops out.

For future reference, a more explicit, and therefore recommended, format would be something along the lines of:

Division S, Round 69

Div draws with Magnus_Carlsen by 50-move rule

and I'll hopefully find it easier to spot.

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I haven't. You disguised your match report as a one-line offhand sympathetic comment to mackieboz and I missed it when scanning for results. I've updated the spreadsheet. Sadly, the result might be voided anyways if mackieboz drops out.

For future reference, a more explicit, and therefore recommended, format would be something along the lines of:

and I'll hopefully find it easier to spot.

Sorry taking the jam out of his donut is acceptable but pissing on his chips is not got it M8.

Division A

Board_stupid and Dearyme draw by agreement.

Playing solidly up until unwisely weakening my defence chasing a knight had me in trouble. Trogdor uncharacteristically didn't drive home the advantage and allowed me back into it.

On 12/06/2022 at 12:29, Aim Here said:

This week's Division B table and fixtures

Round 7
XCTR94 vs N5_Spur

Round 8
N5_Spur vs paakman01

Invites sent to my respective 6-pointer opponents, for as and when they are ready.

My appeal was not overturned, so I withdraw from the league in an Alain Baxter style disgrace.  Forever tarnished whilst protesting my innocence.

There is a further appeal that can be made but there just isn’t any point, as I don’t have a FiDE rating nor have I any official competitions to show as evidence.

I don’t think playing for money against poker players is any kind of defence that can be used as evidence, nor my assertion that my puzzles ranking is far higher than my chess ranking.

I’d like to thank Beef2711 for the much needed lessons at the start, and for setting my bar of achievement.  I’d like to thank EindhovenDee for the absolute battles, and also Ziggy and Trogdor for setting the bar of play.  If you can mix it with those two you’re a good player.

Aim Here and Frank Grimes for taking the time to do the admin.  You guys do a power of work that goes largely unappreciated.

I can rejoin the chess app by declaring myself a cheat and re-signing up, but I’m not going to do that.

Good luck to everyone in the madwullie cup.

Cup Match

Invergowrie defeats Alain Baxter by disgrace.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

My appeal was not overturned, so I withdraw from the league in an Alain Baxter style disgrace.  Forever tarnished whilst protesting my innocence.

There is a further appeal that can be made but there just isn’t any point, as I don’t have a FiDE rating nor have I any official competitions to show as evidence.

I don’t think playing for money against poker players is any kind of defence that can be used as evidence, nor my assertion that my puzzles ranking is far higher than my chess ranking.

I’d like to thank Beef2711 for the much needed lessons at the start, and for setting my bar of achievement.  I’d like to thank EindhovenDee for the absolute battles, and also Ziggy and Trogdor for setting the bar of play.  If you can mix it with those two you’re a good player.

Aim Here and Frank Grimes for taking the time to do the admin.  You guys do a power of work that goes largely unappreciated.

I can rejoin the chess app by declaring myself a cheat and re-signing up, but I’m not going to do that.

Good luck to everyone in the madwullie cup.

Cup Match

Invergowrie defeats Alain Baxter by disgrace.

A shite situation. Did they say why they thought there was some wrongdoing? Can only presume there was something in your game against me or Invergowrie, but although you played well as usual, they certainly weren't flawless games which might've caused suspicion.

That's 3 times we've had players suspended in similar fashion which seems to indicate that chess.com are overly draconian.

@Loki You will be sorely missed mate. I'm pretty sure that you and madwullie were my first opponents on the P&B league (or in bounce games before I got in the league). Two nicer people you would be hard to find.

I'd be in favour to moving to lichess if we avoided these bans.

Edited by Trogdor

Division A, Round 5

Aim Here versus PurpleKangaroo89 - there was a couple of spots where I made the wrong move, and didn't realise it until afterwards, which made things super-tense (when I completed the Alekhine gun, the passed pawn could have been pushed to give me extreme pain, and the checkmate sequence was unnecessary - in that it was possible to dodge it by moving the king and (counterintuitively) not taking the free rook! Thankfully Purplekangaroo89 didn't see this until after he replied!

AimHere beats Purplekangaroo89 by checkmate

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

In the Madwullie cup Board_stupid defeats beef2711 by resignation.

Beef just never really got going, I think there's definitely an advantage to going white in this format.

It varies from position to position. Apparently stockfish evaluations go from even to just over half-a-pawn advantage, with the average chess960 starting position being very marginally less white favoured than for classical chess, but there's really not a lot in it.

A shite situation. Did they say why they thought there was some wrongdoing? Can only presume there was something in your game against me or Invergowrie, but although you played well as usual, they certainly weren't flawless games which might've caused suspicion.
That's 3 times we've had players suspended in similar fashion which seems to indicate that chess.com are overly draconian.

I have a feeling it COULD be because there’s numerous games going on at the same time against the same people, and since most of us are either friends or continuous opponents then they might think we are fixing matches to gain ELO? Other than that, it would be engine use but even then like you said if there’s no evidence of that in the matches between yourselves then it really could be anything.

Division B, Round 6
N5_Spur vs AH13STU

AH13STU beats N5_Spur by checkmate.

I failed to see a marauding knight steaming through my 'defence'. Up to then it was a fairly even game, I thought.  Well played.

41 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I have a feeling it COULD be because there’s numerous games going on at the same time against the same people, and since most of us are either friends or continuous opponents then they might think we are fixing matches to gain ELO? Other than that, it would be engine use but even then like you said if there’s no evidence of that in the matches between yourselves then it really could be anything.

If so, one workaround for that is to go with unranked games, where they don't bother with the cheat detection.

12 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Division A

Board_stupid and Dearyme draw by agreement.

Playing solidly up until unwisely weakening my defence chasing a knight had me in trouble. Trogdor uncharacteristically didn't drive home the advantage and allowed me back into it.

I think you do yourself a bit of a disservice with that summation. I felt I played pretty well tbh.

Yes, I could have played a couple of moves better but you never gave me anything easy to gain material. In such a scenario, I was quite happy to repeat the position.

You played well. 👏

Edit - There were times I didn't enjoy the position at all. I felt I was playing only moves for a spell to stay in the game.

Edited by Trogdor

17 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

They just give you a link to their fair play policy so could be anything in that.  It happened immediately after I had played Invergowrie.  We played that 1 day  per move and concluded it on an evening.  Maybe two hours max.

So as XCTR said I’d imagine they have thought I had been trying to manipulate a ranking.  As why would you play a one move a day game in the space of a couple of hours?  Why not blitz or some shorter form of chess?

Its been good fun, and I now have a beautiful Lewis Chessmen board if anyone visits 😂

Losing streak continues in Div B

Arabjoe beats XCTR94 by resignation.

Absolute no user right now, only started playing when I was two pieces down, still couldn’t claw it back. Well played Joe.