P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
38 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:
You around [mention=55832]pleslie99[/mention]? I've added you, my user is XCTR94

Yeah mate sorry iv accepted your friend request

Sent you a challenge buddy. 

On 12/05/2022 at 14:03, Curmudgeon said:

My questionable arithmetic tells me that 17 of last season's players have indicated their intention to return.

I imagine that most of the others will also return, but for the avoidance of doubt could you say if you're not coming back @eindhovendee @Ziggy @gkneil @craigkillie @cal234ey @ShaggysBeard @Bigmouth Strikes Again

If you don't reply the assumption will be that you're in for this season.

I'll be back.

Who is up for administering the leagues as Frank is busy with work? I'm happy to help out.

@Curmudgeon you seem to have your finger on the pulse with entries? How many have we got at present? Do you have it by league?

@Aim Here do you still have that wild python thing for doing the fixtures and results?

Also, are we content to stick with chess.com or do we want to switch to lichess?

Once we get the leagues up and running, I'd quite like to do a tournie of 10 minute games. A five round swiss one evening. It would take an 1 hour 40 mins max, assuming one game went the distance each round, in practice it should be faster than that tbf.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Who is up for administering the leagues as Frank is busy with work? I'm happy to help out.

@Curmudgeon you seem to have your finger on the pulse with entries? How many have we got at present? Do you have it by league?

@Aim Here do you still have that wild python thing for doing the fixtures and results?

Also, are we content to stick with chess.com or do we want to switch to lichess?

Once we get the leagues up and running, I'd quite like to do a tournie of 10 minute games. A five round swiss one evening. It would take an 1 hour 40 mins max, assuming one game went the distance each round, in practice it should be faster than that tbf.

Generating round robin fixtures is a python script. I did a mockup google spreadsheet for doing results, and yeah, I have them both, still.

Edited by Aim Here

9 hours ago, Trogdor said:

We have 23 of last season's 24 players returning plus another 3 so a league structure of 9/9/8 seems the best fit.

Eindhovendee leaves a gap in division A which I'd suggest filling with former winner Ludo.

The 2 completely new guys in to Division C.

We have gkneil and AH13STU relegated to Div B.

Purplekangaroo89 and Invergowrie Arab promoted to Div A.

RBWatson and Dandies 1983 relegated to Div C.

XCTR94 and markf268 promoted to Div B.

The playoffs should be pleslie at home to beef2711 and N5_spur home to cols407.

Everyone else is in the same league as last season.

I think that's the position, but I'd appreciate someone checking for accuracy and reasonableness in case I've missed something.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

We have 23 of last season's 24 players returning plus another 3 so a league structure of 9/9/8 seems the best fit.

Eindhovendee leaves a gap in division A which I'd suggest filling with former winner Ludo.

The 2 completely new guys in to Division C.

We have gkneil and AH13STU relegated to Div B.

Purplekangaroo89 and Invergowrie Arab promoted to Div A.

RBWatson and Dandies 1983 relegated to Div C.

XCTR94 and markf268 promoted to Div B.

The playoffs should be pleslie at home to beef2711 and N5_spur home to cols407.

Everyone else is in the same league as last season.

I think that's the position, but I'd appreciate someone checking for accuracy and reasonableness in case I've missed something.

That does look like what I'm seeing from the final league table, and the proposed league structure is not only sensible, but actually keeps pretty much proper continuity between seasons, for the first time ever!

I've got a results spreadsheet pretty much ready to go, pending the outcome of the playoffs, and @Ken Deans and @Leeds Saint giving us their chess.com usernames, and me generating the fixtures, and any other sundry alterations.

Edited by Aim Here

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

@Curmudgeon @Aim Here I concur with your summary.

Playoff time, first player is white

Division B

N5Spur v cols407 @N5 Spur @ShaggysBeard

Good luck all, once you report your results we'll get Season 5 started.

Thanks.

Invite sent to @ShaggysBeard for as and whenever you are ready.

[mention=77689]Curmudgeon[/mention] [mention=74047]Aim Here[/mention] I concur with your summary.
Playoff time, first player is white:
Division A
Psleslie999 v beef2711 [mention=55832]pleslie99[/mention]  [mention=69974]Detective Jimmy McNulty[/mention]
Division B
N5Spur v cols407 [mention=80620]N5 Spur[/mention] [mention=63025]ShaggysBeard[/mention]
Good luck all, once you report your results we'll get Season 5 started.
I'll send an invite to Beef later. Happy to concede and stay in div B though. I'll get slapped around silly in the top flight

16 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Lichess is the superior site IMO but I'd imagine it'd be a pain in the bollocks for most to switch over?

7 hours ago, Aim Here said:

That does look like what I'm seeing from the final league table, and the proposed league structure is not only sensible, but actually keeps pretty much proper continuity between seasons, for the first time ever!

I've got a results spreadsheet pretty much ready to go, pending the outcome of the playoffs, and @Ken Deans and @Leeds Saint giving us their chess.com usernames, and me generating the fixtures, and any other sundry alterations.

It's leeds saint

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

I see a problem. The cols407 account on chess.com was closed on 4th April, and @ShaggysBeard hasn't been on Pie and Bovril since April 5th. It looks likely that he'll be a dropout.

A win's a win...

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

I see a problem. The cols407 account on chess.com was closed on 4th April, and @ShaggysBeard hasn't been on Pie and Bovril since April 5th. It looks likely that he'll be a dropout.

That's a shame. He seemed to be really keen.

Give him until tomorrow at 11am. That will have been 24 hours then N5 Spur wins by default.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

That's a shame. He seemed to be really keen.

Give him until tomorrow at 11am. That will have been 24 hours then N5 Spur wins by default.

The knock-on effect is that we'd likely have a lopsided 9/9/7 league, assuming N5_Spur gets the playoff promotion. 9/8/8 seems like a better structure, but then that means someone gets pushed from B to C (and it seems weird for the obvious candidate, @N5 Spur, to get a forfeit in a playoff which then keeps him in the lower division!)

31 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The knock-on effect is that we'd likely have a lopsided 9/9/7 league, assuming N5_Spur gets the playoff promotion. 9/8/8 seems like a better structure, but then that means someone gets pushed from B to C (and it seems weird for the obvious candidate, @N5 Spur, to get a forfeit in a playoff which then keeps him in the lower division!)

I'll gladly stay in the 3rd tier if it's best for the numerical structure of the 3 leagues.  Selfless, I know.

44 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Ooft, that is quite the muddle. We could go to a 2 division setup with 9 / 16? Not a perfect solution either but could go to that for season 5 then back to 3 divisions for season 6? In said scenario, Division 2 would only play each other once.

14 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

I'll gladly stay in the 3rd tier if it's best for the numerical structure of the 3 leagues.  Selfless, I know.

Or N5 Spur could opt to stay in Division 3. Very selfless tbf.

Me and Beef @detective jimmy mcnulty have a game on the go for the play off, he has 6 hours to move. I really don't want to go up so Don't want to win on time......anyone able to give him a nudge?

Can't seem to tag on this tapatalk app.