P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

As I understand it, when chess players say "This is all theory", it means that it's within the corpus of known game positions (i.e. you're still playing a book move or some position that's shown up in a high-level tournament). There are other uses of the term (I imagine someone will say something about 'Hypermodern theory' or whatever, meaning the doctrine where players avoid taking the centre early on, or 'endgame theory', which is how to play late-game positions) but when a given position is 'theory', it means opening theory.
The whole point of 960 is to avoid "opening theory" simply because with the standard board, it ends up being a bunch of memorization and preparation that some players, like Fischer, don't like. "Middlegame theory" isn't a list of known lines and isn't memorizable the way that 'Opening theory' is; it's a bunch of informal principles and ideas, and it's where the fun stuff is. If you don't want that, you might as well not be playing chess at all. It's reasonable to want to keep the middlegame and ditch the opening memorization.

I’d say you still need to memorise closing positions, how to avoid stalemates, when to assess giving up material for a better position, etc.

In reality having new pieces and a bigger board like in Capablanca chess would make it more interesting than just random starting positions for standard material, as that fundamentally changes all aspects of theory in all phases of a chess match, as opposed to the “this is fun and different” for the first ten moves until you realise you’re back into standard chess.

Fischer random is really just to eliminate standard opening theory. It's to avoid chess becoming a test of memory. The real fun happens in the middlegame imo.

The overall principles still apply because ultimately its still 'orthodox' chess except with the starting position being scrambled. 

Capablanca chess isn't really chess. Once you start introducing new pieces that combine the moves of multiple standard pieces and a significantly bigger board, the deviation is quite stark. Whilst the pieces move the same, the theories and principles that hold for standard chess are no longer a given.

I've never played Capablanca chess in my life. Only played 960 on here and its a bit of fun for me.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

RBWatson wins by checkmate.

Pretty one-sided win - 3 blunders from yours truly certainly didn't help me.  Well played!

I had my bishops lined up on the Kingside for ages and thought I was one move away from checkmate a few times, only for you to spring something I hadn't seen.

Thanks for the game, most enjoyable.

22 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Division B: Title challenger Purplekangaroo89 swats aside plucky relegation candidate RBWatson.

Well played @craigkillie, I hope that cheers you up after last night 😛

I'm currently getting slapped about by @craigkillietoo. Can't see it lasting much longer! Think he's defo a stick on for the middle league 

37 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Division A

Eindhovendee defeats Board_stupid by resignation.

I was in a strong position in the early part of the game, but that ebbed away with a number of what the analysis engine euphemistically labels as "good" moves.

Around moves 11 to 16 I thought you had it and I was under pressure, thought you would have castled to bring your rook into play around the same time while you still had your Queen.

Group C, round 7

the_kid1433 defeats N5_Spur by checkmate.

Very quick game and my lowest game accuracy for a long time.

Nicely done Sir, I (kind of) look forward to the return. 

Edited by N5 Spur
Added some text

2 results in division B

Pleslie999 beats mathematics by checkmate

Good game, felt I played well, was a tense while I didnt know where I was going to break through but glad it worked out in the end.

Purplekangaroo89 beats (obliterates) pleslie999 by resignation

I got smashed, enough said! Was never even in the game. Well played 

Group C, round 7
the_kid1433 defeats N5_Spur by checkmate.
Very quick game and my lowest game accuracy for a long time.
Nicely done Sir, I (kind of) look forward to the return. 
I dont, I think I'll get whats coming to me.[emoji1787]

In seriousness I think that's the best I played since the new year and throwing the rook away into a checkmate makes me feel like a grandmaster.
Unfortunately the computer says that was an inaccuracy so it turns out div C is the place I belong.

See you in the return leg. [emoji6]