P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Well Season 5's league campaign is over. All the results are in and the results are (barring errors to be corrected) final.

The undisputed runaway winner of Division C is newcomer @wastecoatwilly who pretty much looked like the presumptive division winner from the get-go.

Division C P W D L Pts
wastecoatwilly 10 8 1 1 25
The_kid1433 10 6 0 4 18
Dandies1983 10 5 0 5 15
KenDeans 10 4 2 4 14
Strachanovski 10 3 1 6 10
RBWatson 10 2 0 8 6

Division was a much tighter affair, but Arabjoe, aka @arab_joe emerged as the eventual winner

Division B P W D L Pts
Arabjoe 16 11 2 3 35
AH13STU 16 10 2 4 32
gkneil 16 10 0 6 30
pleslie999 16 8 3 5 27
markf268 16 7 0 9 21
PnBMathematics 16 6 1 9 19
N5_Spur 16 6 0 10 18
XCTR94 16 6 0 10 18
paakman01 16 4 0 12 12

And in Division A, the favourite DearyMe @Trogdor became the first P&Ber to win the league for a second time.

Division A P W D L Pts
Dearyme 12 10 2 0 32
Board_Stupid 12 8 2 2 26
Ziggy_the_Spider 12 8 1 3 25
AimHere 12 6 0 6 18
beef2711 12 4 1 7 13
Purplekangaroo89 12 1 2 9 5
invergowrie 12 1 0 11 3

Congratulations to all three winners!

Due to the high drop-in/drop-out rate, the leagues are a somewhat ad-hoc affair from season to season, but if they maintain the same rough shape Arabjoe and wastecoatwilly will have definitely earned promotion to higher leagues than the one they're in now, with paakman01 and invergowrie sadly dropping down a tier.

Likewise, the playoff spots will have Purplekangaroo89 and AH13STU fighting it out over the Division A/B slot and (as per the tiebreak arrangement mentioned earlier in the thread) N5_Spur and The_kid1433 will duke it out to see who stays in Division B

--

In cup news, I see the last quarterfinal result has only just come in minutes ago, so nobody has had time to report it.

DearyMe beat Purplekangaroo89 by timeout. DearyMe was winning with a mate in 1 position anyways - so I hope the timeout had a genuine reason, and wasn't just bad sportsmanship from the hitherto unimpeachable competitor Purplekangaroo89.

The four names in the draw are thus:

invergowrie
AimHere
Dearyme
PnBMathematics

And with Susan Calman and Neil Doncaster pulling warm balls out of a bag, the madwullie cup semifinals will be:

invergowrie versus AimHere
PnBMathematics versus DearyMe

Apologies to DearyMe, I was out yesterday and had a couple of drinks, then I fired up the position to have a look at it last night and obviously fell asleep before I was able to play a move. Nonetheless, I was done for anyway, well done on the win. Looking at it on the computer I had a decent position early on but then my opponent played almost perfectly from that point on and didn't really give me a chance.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Apologies to DearyMe, I was out yesterday and had a couple of drinks, then I fired up the position to have a look at it last night and obviously fell asleep before I was able to play a move. Nonetheless, I was done for anyway, well done on the win. Looking at it on the computer I had a decent position early on but then my opponent played almost perfectly from that point on and didn't really give me a chance.

No need for apologies. I was the same on Friday night and had been a bit slow as have been overloaded with work. I didn't think I was in such a bad position to begin with but the computer didn't like it all. It also evidently didn't like my plan (ie. e3 d4). Castling opposite sides made for quite an imbalanced position which is exciting but it was complicated. Given my lack of protection around my king I had to be quite careful of checks or allowing your Queen in for a perpetual.

@Aim Here Given @Ziggy lost 3 games on timeout when he was at Glastonbury the Division A table flatters me more than a little bit. 

The key question for me is whether any of the three chess maestros who support Dundee fancy coming back. @Ludo*1 @DeeTillEhDeh @eindhovendee

Run Away GIF

Edit to add - @Curmudgeon must be most improved player. Having to edge him out in endgames these days where in the past I could get a nice positional edge and/or some material.

Edited by Trogdor

30 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

@Aim Here Given @Ziggy lost 3 games on timeout when he was at Glastonbury the Division A table flatters me more than a little bit. 

The key question for me is whether any of the three chess maestros who support Dundee fancy coming back. @Ludo*1 @DeeTillEhDeh @eindhovendee

Run Away GIF

Edit to add - @Curmudgeon must be most improved player. Having to edge him out in endgames these days where in the past I could get a nice positional edge and/or some material.

I'm quite glad we didn't meet in my first season here as I had a habit of throwing in a blunder most games. This season will be remembered fondly as the one where I managed to get a draw against you.

Wrt the trio of Dundee aficionados it would be good to see them back. I don't know what it is about Dens Park that makes it a breeding ground for good chess players. I can only assume that by about 20 minutes into a game everyone's lost interest in the match and pulled put the travel chess sets instead.

Finally it's big thanks to @Aim Here for the sterling work organising the season. The league would've been in danger of falling apart without him.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Not at all, I was worse in all of the 3 games I lost on time. Vs Curmudgeon in particular.

In fact I would assess last season as my worst yet. In addition to the games I lost, there were at least another two where I got very lucky (Invergowrie & Beef should both have beaten me).

I’ll try a bit harder next season*

*until I get beat and then I’ll claim I wasn’t trying anyway.

Madwullie Cup

Invergorie lets AimHere's blunders go unpunished and AimHere beats invergowrie by checkmate.

The referee has flipped the coin, and DearyMe has called it right, so that cues up the Madwullie cup final of:

DearyMe versus AimHere

@Trogdor

I'm very much the underdog here, but hopefully the 960 random chess gods will slip an extra queen on my side of the board or something.

14 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Madwullie Cup

Invergorie lets AimHere's blunders go unpunished and AimHere beats invergowrie by checkmate.

The referee has flipped the coin, and DearyMe has called it right, so that cues up the Madwullie cup final of:

DearyMe versus AimHere

@Trogdor

I'm very much the underdog here, but hopefully the 960 random chess gods will slip an extra queen on my side of the board or something.

Excited Season 1 GIF by The Office

4 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Madwullie Cup

DearyMe versus AimHere

@Trogdor

Thought I had trapped your Knight and the engine keeps telling me to take it but is Qg4 not mate?

Thought I had good position a few times but even where material was laid bare it always seed like too big a trade.

Anyway, good game to engineer a quick win out of a sticky starting position.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Thought I had trapped your Knight and the engine keeps telling me to take it but is Qg4 not mate?

Thought I had good position a few times but even where material was laid bare it always seed like too big a trade.

Anyway, good game to engineer a quick win out of a sticky starting position.

It would have been at one point, but once you'd moved your knight to the back rank, you could have used your bishop to get a free knight by threatening the one on my back rank. It was a blunder on my part but I thought I had a fierce enough attack that I'd cope anyways.