P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

On 26/06/2022 at 15:43, SweeperDee said:

Div B is so tight I can practically hear it squeak.

34 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Mathematics beats markf268 by checkmate.

I’ve no idea which round, sorry!

It just got tighter. Now there's 7 Div B players within 3 points of one another.

Pleslie999 beats AH13STU by timeout.

I'm happy to replay the game if that's allowed. Was pretty tight, both struggling to make any sort of inroads I couldn't really see how I was going to break through and was just shuffling pieces trying to get into a good position. Can only assume AH13STU was struggling for time as game had been going for a couple weeks and had flirted with timing out a few times. Hope all is well

Division A, Round 9

I thought I was holding my own against DearyMe, by saccing a bishop for his central pawns and getting him to give the material back with interest a few turns later, with all of our pieces sitting pointed at each other in a huge Mexican standoff.

Then my delusion of adequacy was rapidly shattered when he plays a proper sacrifice, which would force me to throw away pretty much everything I had to stave off back rank mate. So it goes!

DearyMe beats AimHere by resignation

Edited by Aim Here

On 12/06/2022 at 15:28, Aim Here said:

First things first, the draw for the first set of Season 5 Madwullie Cup fixtures...

Arabjoe vs Leeds_Saint

I believe Leeds Saint has withdrawn - I'm happy to play someone else, or withdraw, or take a bye into the next round... just whatever is easiest for the draw.

On 12/06/2022 at 15:29, Aim Here said:

This week's Division B table and fixtures

Round 7
AH13STU vs Arabjoe

AH13STU won this game by my resignation - a battle that took about 10 days and was fairly even (AH13STU up by a point) until the end-game when I ran out of steam and was well beaten in the end.  Your last 10-12 moves were flawless and had me all over the place clinging to life...

On 24/06/2022 at 14:43, Curmudgeon said:

@Ziggyhas timed put against me. I also see he's timed out against @Trogdorand @Aim Here so I hope he's ok and he's just having technology issues or otherwise temporarily unavailable.

His account still seems to be valid so it's not a suspension issue.

Hi mate,

Yeah, I’m ok, I was rolling about the fields of Glastonbury since last Wednesday and had a phone malfunction.

Apologies to my opponents for defaulting, I was going to win it this year as well*

*Not really, I think Trogdor was already beating me, like he usually does.

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I believe Leeds Saint has withdrawn - I'm happy to play someone else, or withdraw, or take a bye into the next round... just whatever is easiest for the draw.

Yeah, I'd already assumed Leeds Saint was out and had pencilled you in as the presumptive winner, barring him showing up and demanding to play.

29 minutes ago, mathematics said:

N5_Spur beats mathematics by checkmate. Never in doubt.

Bit harsh, it was fairly even until a couple of unforced errors re your knight and queen.  Quite happy that for once I made no mistakes or blunders, according to the game review.

Thanks

On 19/06/2022 at 14:42, Aim Here said:

Division B

Round 10
gkneil vs Arabjoe

Arabjoe wins by resignation.

Exactly like the earlier game this season, @gkneil was looking good but a solitary mistake completely turned the game on its head - this time I manged to take a rook for free and was then able to get my Queen into a great position.   

Div B,

XCTR94 beats Paakman by checkmate.

Probably one of the best games I’ve played, been on a bit of a roll in blitz and it’s carried over onto here. Paakman did nothing wrong really, just allowed my horse/Queen/rook to setup a trap.

On 26/06/2022 at 11:06, Aim Here said:

The madwullie cup draw is waiting on one result, the spicy pleslie999 versus PurpleKangaroo89 fixture, and it'll happen once the result comes in. I've been keeping an eye on it, and PurpleKanga has already gained a bit of a material advantage, though the pendulum looks like it's starting to swing the other way with pleslie putting on a bit of counterpressure.

This will be over soon. Purplekangaroo89 has slowly been turning the screw and If it was poker I would be classed as having a chip and a chair.....

23 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

This will be over soon. Purplekangaroo89 has slowly been turning the screw and If it was poker I would be classed as having a chip and a chair.....

So I see. PK89 did give you an opportunity to claw yourself back to something approaching equality as late as move 56, but you've missed it and the opportunity is gone now. Just saying!

On 27/06/2022 at 17:22, pleslie99 said:

Pleslie999 beats AH13STU by timeout.

I'm happy to replay the game if that's allowed. Was pretty tight, both struggling to make any sort of inroads I couldn't really see how I was going to break through and was just shuffling pieces trying to get into a good position. Can only assume AH13STU was struggling for time as game had been going for a couple weeks and had flirted with timing out a few times. Hope all is well

Sorry about that mate  Sunday and Monday were a bit hectic and lost track of time and was too late when logging in for a move.

I've jumped the gun a little, due to the glacial pace of the ongoing Pleslie99 versus Purplekangaroo89 game, so the Madwullie Cup Draw Round 2 is as follows:

--

pleslie99 or Purplekangaroo89 vs XCTR94
invergowrie vs KenDeans
wastecoatwilly vs PnBMathematics
Arabjoe vs AH13STU
Strachanovski vs RBWatson
The_kid1433 vs AimHere
Board_Stupid vs N5_Spur
markf268 vs Dearyme

--

In Division A news, PurpleKangaroo89 managed the pretty impressive feat of making two completely separate material-losing blunders in the same move

AimHere beats PurpleKangaroo89 by resignation

Edited by Aim Here

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

I've jumped the gun a little, due to the glacial pace of the ongoing Pleslie99 versus Purplekangaroo89 game, so the Madwullie Cup Draw Round 2 is as follows:

--

pleslie99 or Purplekangaroo89 vs XCTR94
GCarlos9 vs KenDeans
wastecoatwilly vs PnBMathematics
Arabjoe vs AH13STU
Strachanovski vs RBWatson
The_kid1433 vs AimHere
Board_Stupid vs N5_Spur
markf268 vs Dearyme

--

In Division A news, PurpleKangaroo89 managed the pretty impressive feat of making two completely separate material-losing blunders in the same move

AimHere beats PurpleKangaroo89 by resignation

That should be Invergowrie taking on KenDeans in the second tie.