P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division C Fixtures

Division C P W D L Pts
KenDeans 1 1 0 0 3
The_kid1433 1 1 0 0 3
wastecoatwilly 1 1 0 0 3
Dandies1983 0 0 0 0 0
mackieboz 0 0 0 0 0
Leeds_Saint 1 0 0 1 0
RBWatson 1 0 0 1 0
Strachanovski 1 0 0 1 0

--
Round 3
Leeds_Saint vs RBWatson
Strachanovski vs Dandies1983
mackieboz vs KenDeans
wastecoatwilly vs The_kid1433

Round 4
Dandies1983 vs Leeds_Saint
RBWatson vs mackieboz
The_kid1433 vs Strachanovski
KenDeans vs wastecoatwilly

Edited by Aim Here

Week 1 result:

Pleslie999 beats paakman01 by resignation

That was a tough game, i felt like I was on the attack for most of it and every time I got into a good position I was thwarted by some quality play by my opponent. Then I was struggling and couldn't see how to win until paakman01 blundered a mate which was unfortunate but reckon I'd have played a similar move in that position too. Good game, look forward to the return leg. 
Chuffed to bits aswell that the analysis claims one of my moves was "brilliant" have no idea why.

Screenshot_20220529-212848_Chess.jpg

14 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Week 1 result:

That was a tough game, i felt like I was on the attack for most of it and every time I got into a good position I was thwarted by some quality play by my opponent. Then I was struggling and couldn't see how to win until paakman01 blundered a mate which was unfortunate but reckon I'd have played a similar move in that position too. Good game, look forward to the return leg. 
Chuffed to bits aswell that the analysis claims one of my moves was "brilliant" have no idea why.

Screenshot_20220529-212848_Chess.jpg

Yours is a very fair summary of the game. I was pinned down by your Queen + Knight combination and for a while I was doing everything I could to get out of it. It was a really tough game with every move requiring a lot of thought so a bit frustrating to lose it with that blunder, just didn't see it at all. Well played!

The analysis doesn't make for great reading for me, mistakes were made!

Week 1 result:
Screenshot_20220529-212848_Chess.thumb.jpg.b94c1fa37b155a5b5709f48cb17afcf2.jpg
Brilliant moves are moves the engine didn’t really detect. The engine calculates to a certain depth after that it does not calculate any further moves, higher depth the longer it takes to calculate of course. If a human plays a move, it forces the engine to reset it’s depth and calculate all new possible moves starting from the new position. The computer might suddenly see that the move played was better than the suggested best move, hence brilliant moves can’t be suggested by the engine and only humans can play them. Even if the move seems “obvious” to us, the engine might have spotted another move that it thought was the best, until of course it is forced to recalculate.

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Brilliant moves are moves the engine didn’t really detect. The engine calculates to a certain depth after that it does not calculate any further moves, higher depth the longer it takes to calculate of course. If a human plays a move, it forces the engine to reset it’s depth and calculate all new possible moves starting from the new position. The computer might suddenly see that the move played was better than the suggested best move, hence brilliant moves can’t be suggested by the engine and only humans can play them. Even if the move seems “obvious” to us, the engine might have spotted another move that it thought was the best, until of course it is forced to recalculate.

I think the chess.com engine revamped it's game review system a while back. Brilliant moves are easier to come by these days, and they mostly seem to involve some sacrificial move that the computer thinks would be hard for a human to see, rather than something that stockfish genuinely didn't see. I think your explanation is a little out of date.

It's all a bit opaque, either way, TBH.

Edited by Aim Here

AH13STU beats XCTR94 by checkmate.

Start of Division B life hits hard with a really solid display from AH. Really drawn out middle game abruptly ends and I find myself with only one route to winning with a potential Rook/Queen checkmate dashed when I blundered said rook. WP chief.

Round 4: B League

mathematics beats Pleslie by resignation.

One single blunder from my opponent in giving up a bishop for nothing. After that it was a slow exchange of pieces until he got frustrated by my not being able to close out the game. Sounds like my sex life.

Edited by mathematics

Round 4: B League
mathematics beats Pleslie by resignation.
One single blunder from my opponent in giving up a bishop for nothing. After that it was a slow exchange of pieces until he got frustrated by my not being able to close out the game. Sounds like my sex life.
Slapped about sums it up. Well played. Took you a while to close it out but were never in trouble, once my Bishop was gone it was all downhill.

On 30/05/2022 at 14:55, N5 Spur said:

Invite sent to @arab_joe. I appreciate you have 2 games this week - I've only the one so at your convenience to play.

Thanks.

Round 4, @arab_joe defeats @N5 Spur by resignation.

Again, another fairly close game with a bit of too-ing and fro-ing at the end, which @arab_joe got the better of.

Well played.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Gkneil beats pleslie999 by checkmate

I was playing well, comfortably ahead on the analysis and threw it all away in 1 move! Well played@gkneil

Unlucky min, I was on the ropes a bit and wriggled out. 

PurpleKangaroo89 and Board_stupid draw by agreement.

I got out of jail after getting into a bit of bother over stretching early on chasing a bishop. It was backs to the wall until I found myself able to get a perpetual check.