P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

I must be missing lots of games. 

I’m still playing AimHere but that’s all.

I’m ok with all missing games being declared draws (as long as it doesn’t relegate me.)

14 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Division A, Round 18

Ziggy goes down a pawn due to his typically eccentric opening, and even goes down another one, but still crushes me in the end. Sigh.

AimHere loses to Ziggy_the_Spider by resignation

Eccentric opening? Maybe but I think  the 1st pawn sacrifice is theory. (Of course that doesn’t make it good)

I thought I was struggling to justify it up until you decided to try and run your King to safety. Couldn’t you have played Qf2 instead?

Wasn’t worried about the 2nd pawn as I thought I’d always have a good chance of mating you.

Having said that, you defended really well and I wouldn’t be surprised if we both missed stuff. It was a wild position.

Thanks for the game, it was tough but very enjoyable. (as always)

8 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Eccentric opening? Maybe but I think  the 1st pawn sacrifice is theory. (Of course that doesn’t make it good)

I thought I was struggling to justify it up until you decided to try and run your King to safety. Couldn’t you have played Qf2 instead?

Wasn’t worried about the 2nd pawn as I thought I’d always have a good chance of mating you.

Having said that, you defended really well and I wouldn’t be surprised if we both missed stuff. It was a wild position.

Thanks for the game, it was tough but very enjoyable. (as always)

I did think about Qf2, but I rejected it as it would mean my king couldn't castle after we swapped queens. Of course, running to safety precludes castling too, so there was a definite flaw in my decision making process!

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

I did think about Qf2, but I rejected it as it would mean my king couldn't castle after we swapped queens. Of course, running to safety precludes castling too, so there was a definite flaw in my decision making process!

I’d just sacrificed a pawn to try and get an attack going. I wouldn’t have wanted to swap queens.

28 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I’d just sacrificed a pawn to try and get an attack going. I wouldn’t have wanted to swap queens.

Well 1) a moments reflection would suggest I'm the guy who wanted the queens swapped, but I didn't reflect on that for a moment, and that's why you won the game and I didn't

and 2) the previous time we played with me white and you black, you went to great lengths to recapture the pawn and you lost the game; my mindset wasn't so much 'Ziggy is saccing a pawn to get an effective attack' so much as 'Ziggy has learned his lesson from last time and is just getting rid of that pesky pawn before it screws up his development again'. I did wonder whether that stuff you said in chat was just a mindgame or not...

Division A

Board_stupid wins on time against AH13STU.

I offered to restart the game, but was declined as there are other issues taking up his time, which is fair enough.

This concludes my league campaign. Thanks to everyone I played, and particular thanks to Frank for organising everything.

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats AH13STU by resignation.

An interesting game, it was pretty much a closed position (other than a couple of semi open files). I attacked on the b file and managed to win AH13STU's a&b pawns by virtue of STU missing a tactic. It was pretty hard to hold the position thereafter as I had a monster passed a pawn. This was the critical moment.

Screenshot_20220326-082411_Chess.thumb.jpg.e771a84eb89d40effff9e2d463a6bcda.jpg

Thanks for the game.

I think I'm finished all my league games. I need to double check. Although I've got a horrible feeling I need to play Eindhovendee again, who continues to be my kryptonite.

Madwullie Cup 1/3 Final Result

Dearyme defeats the defending Champion Eindhovendee by resignation in 27 moves. Not sure it's enough to get me a bye to the final? 🤷‍♂️ @Curmudgeon @Aim Here

A weird game, as 960 chess often is. I had definitely erred and Eindhovendee had me toiling. However, a mistake in his move order let me off the hook so instead of being a piece down (and potentially even a Rook) I ended up a piece up. I'll take it.

Thanks for the game mate.

Edited by Trogdor

27 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Dearyme defeats the defending Champion Eindhovendee by resignation in 27 moves. Not sure it's enough to get me a bye to the final? 🤷‍♂️ @Curmudgeon @Aim Here

A weird game, as 960 chess often is. I had definitely erred and Eindhovendee had me toiling. However, a mistake in his move order let me off the hook so instead of being a piece down (and potentially even a Rook) I ended up a piece up. I'll take it.

Well I'm certainly one of the semi finalists.

Rather entertainingly you both won in 27 moves which will test Frank's adjudication skills.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Dammit @eindhovendee, couldn't you have hung on for one more move! I had to full-on checkmate gkneill to pad out the 27!

Edited by Aim Here

On 26/03/2022 at 11:48, Trogdor said:

I knew this agile ruling would come back to bite me 

Because you beat h the defending champion you go through to the final 

@Aim Here v @Curmudgeon in the semi 

I’ve been outrageously busy at work but I think these are the latest tables 

Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
Dearyme
GCarlos9
Board_Stupid
AimHere
eindhovendee
Ziggy
beef2711
gkneil
AH13STU

Division B
P
W
L
D
Pts
Purplekangaroo89
invergowrie
pleslie999
paakman01
PnBMathematics
Arabjoe
cols407
RBWatson
Dandies1983

Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
XCTR94
markf268
N5_Spur
The_kid1433
mackieboz
Strachanovski

I think you have added a result of mine.  The draws are correct.  These are the matches in terms of date order of matches finishing.

I lost to GKNeil, Aimhere, Beef2711 and DearyMe.

Posted wins against Eindhovendee, board_stupid, gkneil, Ziggy_the_spider, AH13STU, Eindhovendee, AimHere, board_stupid, beef2711 and AH13STU.

So I should be 10-4-2 as there's only 16 fixtures.