P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division C Round 17, GordonS496 beats Johnnydun418.

Was never going to go well after blundering the rook for a bishop early on and I think pushing the kingside pawns up left too much space in behind. I'm just glad to get my record against you back to level.

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Would anyone have any objections to fixtures getting released on a Monday going forward?

Since the world opened back up, fridays are a bit mental for me and I am up against it today to get to the pub at the earliest opportunity 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺

Suits me just fine. Still got 2 games going on and the cup to play. 👍

Would anyone have any objections to fixtures getting released on a Monday going forward?
Since the world opened back up, fridays are a bit mental for me and I am up against it today to get to the pub at the earliest opportunity [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿[emoji481]
My game with[mention=28013]Trogdor[/mention] is still ongoing - 40 moves in and still very tight.

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Since the world opened back up, fridays are a bit mental for me and I am up against it today to get to the pub at the earliest opportunity 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺

Whatever is easiest for you.

4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I am in no rush.

Elrohan beats DearyMe - resignation.

Queens were about to be exchanged and I then had 3 passed pawns in a chain with an unstoppable pawn promotion.

Only mistake in the game was from myself towards the end - looking at it I'm not convinced it was a major one.

The game was really tight throughout but the big decider was my opponent using a Nimzowitsch-Larsen opening - he himself admitted it may have been a mistake. It was an odd game as there were lots of lines but actually limited moves once a line was followed.

A really enjoyable game.

PS Now had my account locked (not disabled) and I don't have the email address to verify and unlock - seems that if you keep playing and don't verify they lock you.

Dearyme loses to Elrohan

Oooft, that was a sore lesson there.

I ended up with a horrendous position. I tried to exchange pieces to get into a hold-able ending at about move 30 I opted to swap off Knight & Bishop for 2 Knights. However, I was left with my horrendous black square bishop stuck behind my pawn chain. I then had to try and hold the position, even trying to get my Queen forward to try and escape with a perpetual but Elrohan covered all the squares.

The issue was I was searching for the one best move every time to stay in the game. Eventually you pick the wrong one and the position gets slightly worse. Then it happens again and again and the game was gone.

Pretty frustrating to be honest. I'm blaming it on pushing e3 rather than d3 early doors! 🙈

Edited by Trogdor

Dearyme loses to Elrohan
Oooft, that was a sore lesson there.
I ended up with a horrendous position. I tried to exchange pieces to get into a hold-able ending at about move 30 I opted so swap off Knight & Bishop for 2 Knights. However, I was left with my horrendous black square bishop stuck behind my pawn chain. I then had to try and hold the position, even trying to get my Queen forward to try and escape with a perpetual but Elrohan covered all the squares.
The issue was I was searching for the one best move every time to stay in the game. Eventually you pick the wrong one and the position gets slightly worse. Then it happens again and again and the game was gone.
Pretty frustrating to be honest. I'm blaming it on pushing e3 rather than d3 early doors! [emoji85]
I think it was the early move.

As you say - your bishop was in an awful place - you knew that yourself when you posted earlier in the week.

It was an odd game - the way it ended I always had that one move advantage - when you did try something different I had a very limited choice of moves to respond with so it actually made it easier than some endgames I've been involved in.

League A GordonEF beats Bri1962 by resignation

A sloppier game than our usual encounters. Both players making a few mistakes and inaccuracies in the middle game trying to take the game to each other. I managed to get a Queen / Bishop battery pointing at the king's corner quite early that was always a threat. In the end, I didn't find a way to checkmate with it but eventually got a way to force a Queen for Rook exchange that would probably have been too difficult to come back from.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

League A GordonEF beats Bri1962 by resignation

A sloppier game than our usual encounters. Both players making a few mistakes and inaccuracies in the middle game trying to take the game to each other. I managed to get a Queen / Bishop battery pointing at the king's corner quite early that was always a threat. In the end, I didn't find a way to checkmate with it but eventually got a way to force a Queen for Rook exchange that would probably have been too difficult to come back from.

I was actually in mid post there, yeah you had me tied in knots and nowhere to go in the end losing a Queen to you is game set and match you played really well there i thought.

On another point i have just had my rating put up due to a violation of fair play by an opponent, who is it this time? only played P&B games on there.

2 hours ago, keptie said:

On another point i have just had my rating put up due to a violation of fair play by an opponent, who is it this time? only played P&B games on there.

I got this as well - seems to be Elrohan again.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
I got this as well - seems to be Elrohan again.

My account is not disabled but locked - I hadn't verified it and I don't have access to the email address to verify it because I misspelt the email address when I registered.

It's telling me your account has been closed for violating their Fair Play Policy.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 18.12.45.png

It's telling me your account has been closed for violating their Fair Play Policy.

516569138_ScreenShot2021-06-19at18_12_45.thumb.png.acf2ceaecbe81c5e9668e59ffb0c4ceb.png
If it was straightforward cheating the account would be disabled - it's not. I suspect that it may be due to having multiple accounts which is also against their fair play policy. Not playing with a VPN so they will be have the same IP address. The second account is also a very similar name and the email address used doesn't actually exist as far as I am aware.

The madwullie Scottish Cup second round, AimHere beats GordonS496. Not my finest hour, blundered a knight early and laid a few traps that someone at your level was never going to fall into. I knew the reveal on the queen was coming and still blundered it anyway. Jesus.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

The madwullie Scottish Cup second round, AimHere beats GordonS496. Not my finest hour, blundered a knight early and laid a few traps that someone at your level was never going to fall into. I knew the reveal on the queen was coming and still blundered it anyway. Jesus.

I thought it was a bit closer than that. I don't think I sussed the right opening moves for this particular setup, and your queen was aimed at the e2 pawn for most of the game, which that caused me a fair amount of anguish , especially after you broke open my kingside with the knight that fell into the fork. Lichess seems to think you had 3 inaccuracies and a blunder (the pawn fork) compared to my 3 inaccuracies.

As for 'traps', a lot of those were perfectly good threats that did a decent job of keeping me bottled in for a while, stopping me castling for fear of Qxe2 and having to keep an eye out for the mate threats in the backdoor. I never expect "traps" to work - I prefer to make threats that force the other guy to work around them in ways that help me win. If the opponent blunders a trap, it's a pleasant surprise.

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

As for 'traps', a lot of those were perfectly good threats that did a decent job of keeping me bottled in for a while, stopping me castling for fear of Qxe2 and having to keep an eye out for the mate threats in the backdoor. I never expect "traps" to work - I prefer to make threats that force the other guy to work around them in ways that help me win. If the opponent blunders a trap, it's a pleasant surprise.

Sound advice. 👏

I thought it was a bit closer than that. I don't think I sussed the right opening moves for this particular setup, and your queen was aimed at the e2 pawn for most of the game, which that caused me a fair amount of anguish , especially after you broke open my kingside with the knight that fell into the fork. Lichess seems to think you had 3 inaccuracies and a blunder (the pawn fork) compared to my 3 inaccuracies.

Apart from providing threats sometimes traps are just misdirection for less obvious threats.

You see the trap but are so focused on it that you get board blindness and miss something elsehere on the board.

I've seen a few boards where Nakamura has done that (usually in blitz games) - effectively using the trap to manipulate his opponent to move pieces where he wants them - then pounces with the reveal 4 or 5 moves down the line. It's the same reason he does things like the Bongcloud opening (apart from the joke one against Carksen) - it can throw the opponent and is completely psychological.