P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Since we're talking chess, has anyone watched the various AI matches against other AI? I cane across them a while ago on agadmator's chess channel on YouTube, but presumably more people than him have covered them. 
Agadmator is excellent. His stuff on Tal is well worth a watch. Imagine if Sportscene's analysis was even half as good.

"Instead, DiegoDiegoPB goes bishop to C4 and this move is just losing. So pause the video while I give you a couple of seconds to find the winning move for Ludo."

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Agadmator is excellent. His stuff on Tal is well worth a watch. Imagine if Sportscene's analysis was even half as good.

"Instead, DiegoDiegoPB goes bishop to C4 and this move is just losing. So pause the video while I give you a couple of seconds to find the winning move for Ludo."

I also love Agadmator's channel

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Thought I was in a winning position but that fast pawn scared the life out of me.

I’m not sure if you were still winning or not but thought that I’d be able to swap my Knight for your remaining pawns.

Thanks for the game, I was very lucky.

In Division B:

@arab_joe defeated @Eednud.  Game was over before it really got started - no strategy, just fluke on my behalf.

In the Cup:

@arab_joe defeated @NotThePars.  An absolutely epic battle - that 960 format threw up a really odd board!

Edited by arab_joe
Using "through" instead of "threw"...

In Division B:
[mention=1131]arab_joe[/mention] defeated [mention=44974]Eednud[/mention].  Game was over before it really got started - no strategy, just fluke on my behalf.
In the Cup:
[mention=1131]arab_joe[/mention] defeated [mention=25417]NotThePars[/mention].  An absolutely epic battle - that 960 format threw up a really odd board!

I fucked it in the first two turns and it was just a grinding slaughterhouse for the rest of it.

Division C matchday 6, GordonS496 beats Johnnydun418.

After feeling smug about getting a piece ahead I realised the cost was a wall of pawns coming at me. It took a piece sacrifice and a queen trade to get positioning back to level. Johnnydun let his bishop get trapped and then put the rooks on a fork for my bishop, so the endgame wasn't the pawn attrition it could have been. A pretty level game until the end.

Has anyone else played chess for an actual club?

Up until the pandemic, I was playing for a local chess club for whom I've played for about 15 years. Have also represented the county at differing levels and was part of the side that won the ECF national u-100 (ECF grade) title about 4-5 years ago.

1 minute ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Up until the pandemic, I was playing for a local chess club for whom I've played for about 15 years. Have also represented the county at differing levels and was part of the side that won the ECF national u-100 (ECF grade) title about 4-5 years ago.

Now he tells us...

Only ever played at school level - and that was nearly 40 years ago.

29 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

My mate's big brother plays for a club. When we were kids he'd pretty much beg us to play and on the odd occasion when we did, he'd fucking destroy us. He's around a 2000 rank with Fide and on Chess.com these days.

That experience as a kid put me off chess until the first lockdown last year.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Division C matchday 6, GordonS496 beats Johnnydun418.

After feeling smug about getting a piece ahead I realised the cost was a wall of pawns coming at me. It took a piece sacrifice and a queen trade to get positioning back to level. Johnnydun let his bishop get trapped and then put the rooks on a fork for my bishop, so the endgame wasn't the pawn attrition it could have been. A pretty level game until the end.

Well played Gordon.

I made a couple of massive errors. If only I moved my Rook 1 space forward....

Good game bud.