P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

Division C.

Hammysgetinpumped didnae get pumped v RBWatson, winning by checkmate.

A very enjoyable game, which I think was a dead rubber in any event; if that missed queen/king fork has kept me out of the playoffs I'll be seething!

Thanks for the game @101.

Yeh really good game. Thanks!

@Frank Grimes

I'm going to call it a day at the end of the season, starting a new job and can't commit, but thanks for organising it's been really good charting a route from the second tier to propping up the competition.

Thanks to all the players been played in good spirit, might pop in for the odd friendly if that's allowed.

Thanks, HGP.

Division A Round 18 Result

Dearyme defeats Purplekangaroo89 by resignation. Really nothing in this game to be honest. I picked up a pawn after some exchanges and then got another one so was 2 pawns up and then swiftly into an endgame where I was more active.

Thanks for the game @craigkillie

On 04/11/2021 at 19:17, Trogdor said:

Madwullie Cup

Dearyme beats AH13STU @Leicesterlichtie by resignation.

I thought we were heading for the chess equivalent of a rerack round about here

Screenshot_20211104-191619_Chess.thumb.jpg.f593a7f1142b5a1d30cd9144ef9aa23b.jpg

but managed to squeeze through the middle and win a pawn. I got a bit jammy for the attack on the King though.

Thanks for the game mate.

Completely missed the pesky Bishop waiting around ending up being a thorn.

On 05/11/2021 at 10:38, invergowrie arab said:

Invergowrie and AH13STU draw by agreement in my greatest chess achievement to date.

Although 9/10 I think I was fucked but for a blundered rook.

Got lucky you offering the draw which I gratefully accepted. Think you had enough to carry on and win.

Division A

Eindhovendee defeats Board_stupid by checkmate.

I tried a knight sacrifice to open up the defence which was probably a bit reckless, but made for an interesting game. I paid for it in the end though.

That concludes my league campaign so many thanks to Frank for organising.

Thanks also to all my opponents for the games. Everyone in this division is a good player and you all caused me a great deal of stress, but in a good way and you're helping me improve my game.

A special mention to Dearyme and eindhovendee who both beat me home and away, I couldn't lay a glove on either of you. Another mention is due to el_scorgio who, in one game, had 3 book moves followed by 22 consecutive best moves, the last of which delivered checkmate. It was an absolute lesson.

tl:dr birthday caird pish

Division A, Round 17

Ziggy chose to defend with a slightly eccentric let's-not-take-back-immediately-with-the-queen Scandinavian and I just hung onto my spare pawn as long as I could, to gum up his development, and that advantage carried through to the endgame. A wee bit of an upset here as I seem to be the first player outside of the chess league's dominant Old Firm of DearyMe and eindhovendee to chalk up a win against Ziggy this season; the boys pulled through at the last minute to (almost certainly) stave off relegation.

AimHere beats Ziggy_the_Spider by resignation

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Division B

Strachanovski defeats markf268 by resignation.

Monumental blunders all over the place.

Thank you.

Definitely - blundered my way behind, you did likewise to get it back to even and then I threw that away!

I think we still have the return to go to complete the season?

16 minutes ago, true_rover said:

Definitely - blundered my way behind, you did likewise to get it back to even and then I threw that away!

I think we still have the return to go to complete the season?

Yeah, good even game, enjoyed that.