P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

14 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Paakman01 defeats DieHardDoonhamer by rage quit

Aye, you'd worked the Queen into a nice spot and definitely had the upper hand before the blunder. Thanks for the game.

Division A, Round 13

Sometimes I just hate stockfish.

I think I play a blinder of a game, taking advantage of an early inaccuracy in beef's opening and then crushing him with a devastating kingside attack, and the post-match analysis tells me his move 3 really wasn't that bad, and awards me a succession of 5 'mistake' and 'missed win' ratings in a row for not starting the pawn storm a lot earlier - and telling me that when I did eventually do it, the move was decidedly mediocre. Git!

Still, a win is a win.

AimHere beats beef2711 by checkmate

Division A

Dearyme defeats Board_stupid by resignation.

I thought I was doing well when I pinched two pawns early on, but I think that only made Dearyme angry and he came back with a fierce attack that had me on the back foot.

I more or fought it off, but then threw in a couple of mistakes which made my position untenable.

Good game, enjoyed it.

Division A Result

Eindhovendee defeats Dearyme by resignation after 80+ moves.

I was really hanging on in this one for dear life, made about 5/6 only moves in a row to stay in it. I think I relaxed a bit once I had managed to not lose any material then waltzed into an ending where I had Knight + 4 pawns and my opponent had Bishop + 4 pawns. 2 on the kingside and 2 on the queenside.  No imbalance. However, it was a very instructive game in how Bishops are that little bit better than Knights. In hindsight, I should have perhaps kept a rook on the board rather than swapping. Even a pawn down I would have probably been able to hold the ending. Who knows?

Well played. @eindhovendee

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats Board_stupid by resignation.

This was an interesting one, we both played a lot of theory out of the gates. 9 moves or so. I then mouseslipped into playing e4 and proceeded to lose 2 pawns which forced me into a pretty big central attack there was no other option. As it happens e4 is a decent move according to the engine. Eventually I won the exchange so I was Rook v Bishop + 2 Pawns. Still materially level but with a positional edge. A couple of slack moves from Board_stupid allowed me to steal the advantage and convert for the victory.

Good game @Curmudgeon, I was genuinely panicking a bit when I lost those 2 pawns. It made me play a bit more aggressive than I normally would.

Edited by Trogdor

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats GCarlos9 by resignation.

This was shaping up to be quite the slog when Loki put his Bishop on the e file on move 20 ish and my Rook snaffled it for free. It was pretty one sided thereafter.

However, the opening was very interesting and is something I need to study up on a little bit. It totally confused me.

Good game @Loki until we meet again.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats GCarlos9 by resignation.

This was shaping up to be quite the slog when Loki put his Bishop on the e file on move 20 ish and my Rook snaffled it for free. It was pretty one sided thereafter.

However, the opening was very interesting and is something I need to study up on a little bit. It totally confused me.

Good game @Loki until we meet again.

Why did it confuse you? 

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Why did it confuse you? 

Allowing me to keep parrying your Knight seemed like a strange strategy to me. Its obviously perfectly playable and the computer is fine with it but it's strange. It's like an Alkehine's defense but for White almost. 

I don’t study openings so I’m probably the weakest player in the league at opening.  Even in divisions B and C I’d find myself behind in matches before developing my pieces to stretch opponents in the middle of the match.

I guess if it’s not an orthodox opening I may get an advantage, as my opponent won’t be able to accurately guess what my next moves could be.   Stuff to develop for next season. Unless of course I do a millwall and get relegated.

19 hours ago, Loki said:

I guess if it’s not an orthodox opening I may get an advantage, as my opponent won’t be able to accurately guess what my next moves could be. 

Alternatively, if you play an eccentric move very early on, it's a red flag, and the opponent is immediately thinking 'that's not anything like the main opening lines. What is Loki's mistake and what do I do to punish it?'. It's a two-edged sword.

15 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Alternatively, if you play an eccentric move very early on, it's a red flag, and the opponent is immediately thinking 'that's not anything like the main opening lines. What is Loki's mistake and what do I do to punish it?'. It's a two-edged sword.

How did that work out for you? 🤣

40 minutes ago, Loki said:

How did that work out for you? 🤣

How did what? When we played, you didn't play anything eccentric. You played about 6 or 7 moves into the Gioco Piano by the book which is about as far as anyone at my level ever gets before it diverges into random freestyle stuff anyways. Nothing at all like your Alekhines-defence-but-for-white that you were trying against Dearyme.

Edited by Aim Here

Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
Dearyme
Ziggy
eindhovendee
Board_Stupid
GCarlos9
AimHere
beef2711
el_scorgio
Purplekangaroo89

Round 15

GCarlos9 v Ziggy

el_scorgio v Purplekangaroo89 

Board_Stupid v eindhovendee 

AimHere v Dearyme 

Round 16

Purplekangaroo89 v beef2711

Ziggy v Board_Stupid

Dearyme v el_scorgio

eindhovendee v AimHere

Division B
P
W
L
D
Pts
AH13STU
gkneil
pleslie999
Arabjoe
invergowrie
Dandies1983
GordonS496
Strachanovski
markf268

Round 15

Dandies1983 v Strachanovski

AH13STU v GordonS496 

pleslie999 v gkneil

invergowrie v markf268 

Round 16

GordonS496 v Dandies1983

gkneil v Strachanovski 

markf268 v pleslie999 

invergowrie v Arabjoe 

Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
PnBMathematics
cols407
paakman01
RBWatson
RicheyEdwards
mackieboz
DieHardDoonhamer
The_kid1433
hammysgp
LvivKarpaty

Round 15

RicheyEdwards v PnBMathematics

cols407 v paakman01 

The_kid1433 v hammysgetinpumped 

DieHardDoonhamer v mackieboz

Lvivkarpaty v RBWatson

Round 16

paakman01 v RicheyEdwards 

hammysgetinpumped v PnBMathematics

mackieboz v cols407 

RBWatson v the_kid1433

Lvivkarpaty v DieHardDoonhamer 

• Frank Grimes changed the title to P&B Chess League - LEAGUE & CUP FIXTURES p195