P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

On 26/09/2021 at 11:43, arab_joe said:

Division B

Gkneil beats Arabjoe by checkmate.

Well played.  I managed to get a couple of pieces up and tried swapping enough pieces to get the win - but for the second time in as many weeks I just didn't have the skills needed to protect a pawn to the other side - and crumbled when you managed to do so... 

Make that three weeks in a row...

Division B

Dandies1983 beats Arabjoe by resignation.

Well played.  Incredibly frustrating loss for the third week in a row, where I just didn't win the race to get a pawn across.  I was down a few points; swung it around to the point where I was 3 points up with very few pieces left on the board; and then somehow miscalculated and swapped Queens at the exact wrong time, allowing Dandies to promote a Queen a move ahead of me...

Heading towards the wrong end of the table at a rate of knots! 

DearyMe eviscerates RBWatson in the Cup.

Lulled me into a false sense of security with comments about his dodgy eyesight before proceeding to pickoff my pieces with laser-like accuracy. Apart, of course, from my queen who wandered out into no-man's land flashing her knickers at one of his knights.

Well played, good luck in the next round mate.

Cup tie.

cols407 beats el_scorgio by resignation.

Was well behind, managed to claw a bit back. Though I should have been finished off. Could tell my king was going to chased about the board so prepared an attack on my opponent's king hoping a break in the king chase which eventually came. Every line I looked at there after in analysis looked fatal for my opponent, I assume they agreed by resigning. 

Edited by ShaggysBeard

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Division  B Invergowrie and @pleslie99 draw before it is just two kings pinging about the board 

Cheers for the game, I thought I was doomed earlier in the game so delighted to get a draw. Was on a knife edge at the end, wouldn't have been surprised to see u reject the draw but reckon as u say it would've been 2 Kings doing a tango around the board.

I also lost in the cup to eindhovendee. Less said about that the better. 960 is clearly not my thing lol

35 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Cheers for the game, I thought I was doomed earlier in the game so delighted to get a draw. Was on a knife edge at the end, wouldn't have been surprised to see u reject the draw but reckon as u say it would've been 2 Kings doing a tango around the board.

I also lost in the cup to eindhovendee. Less said about that the better. 960 is clearly not my thing lol

It felt like you were playing as if the back pieces were in their usual order, it can be a bit of a mind f**k,

40 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I was on top until I tried to be a smart arse offering up my knight to draw your pawn down the side which was just diastrous.

I might have won had i gone Ra3 here instead of pushing pawn and I was raging so happy to take a draw before I rage blundered something 

Screenshot_20210929-225043_Chess.jpg

Division C, round 11
The_kid1433 beats mackieboz by checkmate.
Another one that whilst playing I felt like a genius and had thought through setting up the situation in the corner of the board the mate came from. Turns out when I take it to analysis the computer very much says I got away with that one.
Thanks for the game and good luck for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

On 20/09/2021 at 19:14, Frank Grimes said:

Round 9

Strachanovski v Arabjoe 

Strachanovski defeats Arabjoe by checkmate.

A poor excuse, I know, but I had too many games on the go and just didn't have the concentration to keep on top - and was down in this one from pretty much the first move - then committed suicide by taking my King for a wander (amongst other poor moves - the analysis tells me I had an accuracy of 51).  I've still no idea why. 

Well played strachanovski, a fully deserved win.

6 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Division C, round 11
The_kid1433 beats mackieboz by checkmate.
Another one that whilst playing I felt like a genius and had thought through setting up the situation in the corner of the board the mate came from. Turns out when I take it to analysis the computer very much says I got away with that one.
Thanks for the game and good luck for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Felt like I was playing a genius in that one. Feels right now I'm  just throwing pieces around the board not enjoying it so much. 

However, very well played!

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Strachanovski defeats Arabjoe by checkmate.

A poor excuse, I know, but I had too many games on the go and just didn't have the concentration to keep on top - and was down in this one from pretty much the first move - then committed suicide by taking my King for a wander (amongst other poor moves - the analysis tells me I had an accuracy of 51).  I've still no idea why. 

Well played strachanovski, a fully deserved win.

Cheers, enjoyed that.

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Yeah I think k I need some practise at 960, don't get it at all 🙈

I find it difficult to switch between 960 and normal.  I have a board on my desk and have it set up for my 960 match in the cup this week.

I struggle to see the game at the start, as your normal patterns of defence and attack are badly skewed.

I made a really basic error in my league game that I had to resign.  Mainly as I was thinking a space was covered by a bishop, and it was the normal set up so it wasn’t.  I just didn’t see the move as I thought there was no danger. My fastest ever defeat 😂

33 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

@GordonS still playing?

No answer to league challenge and now we have a cup game too.

Can I claim victory against

@NotThePars who is on vacation but its mate in 3 ?

Sorry I've had a horrific week in work so I can't focus on the league. Increasingly think I might need to bow out. I'll resign now.

Division A Round 9 Result

Dearyme beats Purplekangaroo89 by resignation.

I got a bit of a lucky break in this game. I had been thinking about forking Craig's Bishop and Knight on c4 and a4 respectively and realised after he played c3 the Knight on a4 had no escape. This allowed me to pick up a Knight for a pawn and then it was about getting to an endgame.

Thanks for the game.

Edited by Trogdor