P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I won against Ziggy.

Decent game.

Well played mate & congratulations!!

I messed up the opening and you never gave me a chance.

I also got beat by DiegoDiego. Didn’t see his final move coming at all. Well played mate.

I think I’ve lost 80 off my grade today.

Edited by Ziggy

I was playing against randoms hawf cut last night and got a message from Chess.com to say I was being recredited some points for grade score due to someone breaching fair play rules? Did they detect someone cheating or something?

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

DiegoDiegoPB beats RicheyEdwards

Good game, and farewell to the top tier.

Aye, that was a bit of a tough one for you. It was the same opening I used against PurpleKangaroo and although the position is even in theory after the second knight move, black can easily get into some serious trouble. Best of luck in the Championship next season!

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I also got beat by DiegoDiego. Didn’t see his final move coming at all. Well played mate.

To be fair I didn't see it coming either! It was a bit of a strange game that one. I'm not sure how the engine has me ahead after the opening destroyed my pawn structure.

Not sure what happened with your bishop there. Regardless, my king was frankly scandalously attired and exposed to your heavy pieces, with those knights as well I had to be extremely careful with my defence. One poor move and it could have been over very quickly.

That knight check (and the previous bishop one I was a bit annoyed at myself for playing) absolutely saved my bacon. It probably looks like I played some brilliantly calculated chess, but in reality it was more like struggling to pay an imminent leccy bill then finding £20 in the pocket of a jacket you rarely wear.

50 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I was playing against randoms hawf cut last night and got a message from Chess.com to say I was being recredited some points for grade score due to someone breaching fair play rules? Did they detect someone cheating or something?

Exactly. If you go through your past game history, you might find some guy who beat you who is now banned, because chess.com decided they were using a computer program to cheat.

Edited by Aim Here

38 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, that was a bit of a tough one for you. It was the same opening I used against PurpleKangaroo and although the position is even in theory after the second knight move, black can easily get into some serious trouble. Best of luck in the Championship next season

Thanks bud. That game went away from me pretty quickly.

I've avoided doing it, but should probably have a look at other people's games and see what moves they like to do.

[mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention] imo.
You need be careful with computers and accuracy ratings - they make predictions that go awry against unorthodox players or those who don't follow the textbook moves.

Computers have their place in post-match analysis but I've found myself disagreeing with the post-match analysis sometimes. Getting that perfect mate in 16 moves might be great but, if the alternative is a move to get the opponent's Queen in 5 moves, then that is better play IMHO.

I've made a few mistakes/blunders in games and got away with them because the opponent didn't realise it was a mistake/blunder - threw away a win against GordonEF by focusing too much on one part of the board.

It does help being really patient and some of the most enjoyable games I've had have been the tight affairs - both league matches vs Keptie and GordonEF; the first league match vs Frank; and the cup matches vs Eindhovendee and Craig Killie.

58 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You need be careful with computers and accuracy ratings - they make predictions that go awry against unorthodox players or those who don't follow the textbook moves.

Computers have their place in post-match analysis but I've found myself disagreeing with the post-match analysis sometimes. Getting that perfect mate in 16 moves might be great but, if the alternative is a move to get the opponent's Queen in 5 moves, then that is better play IMHO.

I've made a few mistakes/blunders in games and got away with them because the opponent didn't realise it was a mistake/blunder - threw away a win against GordonEF by focusing too much on one part of the board.

It does help being really patient and some of the most enjoyable games I've had have been the tight affairs - both league matches vs Keptie and GordonEF; the first league match vs Frank; and the cup matches vs Eindhovendee and Craig Killie.

What I thought was my best move in my latest game was the only one the engine called an inaccuracy.

I was playing against a random there who had me ripe for a checkmate and he accidentally moved his Queen one square to the right and allowed my rook to knock her out the game and he immediately resigned. Lost him nearly a full 400 of his rating as well. Can't stop laughing. What a fandan.

14 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Aye, that was a bit of a tough one for you. It was the same opening I used against PurpleKangaroo and although the position is even in theory after the second knight move, black can easily get into some serious trouble. Best of luck in the Championship next season!

To be fair I didn't see it coming either! It was a bit of a strange game that one. I'm not sure how the engine has me ahead after the opening destroyed my pawn structure.

Not sure what happened with your bishop there. Regardless, my king was frankly scandalously attired and exposed to your heavy pieces, with those knights as well I had to be extremely careful with my defence. One poor move and it could have been over very quickly.

That knight check (and the previous bishop one I was a bit annoyed at myself for playing) absolutely saved my bacon. It probably looks like I played some brilliantly calculated chess, but in reality it was more like struggling to pay an imminent leccy bill then finding £20 in the pocket of a jacket you rarely wear.

I thought you were doing alright in the opening until you started moving your queen.

I thought my position was good enough that I’d mate you without the bishop (I’ve not been taking things too seriously so I’ve just been playing interesting moves rather than the best move.). I did a similar thing against Madwullie (I was wrong then as well).

Your knight was incredibly annoying, it seemed to hold your position together all by itself. It was fitting that it eventually delivered the killer blow.

Would people be interested in a quick play league?

I’m thinking 15 minutes each per game, smaller leagues. Publish all fixtures at the start and then leave it to individuals to agree a suitable time to play.

34 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I’m thinking 15 minutes each per game, smaller leagues. Publish all fixtures at the start and then leave it to individuals to agree a suitable time to play.

I'd be up for this. Maybe make it a specific night.

For example Thursday nights 7 till half 8, would allow for people to commit and get a couple of games in.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

For the close season? Wouldn't mind that I guess but might become a case of overload if we add it to the league and cup and mooted cup someone else suggested.