P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

On 26/03/2021 at 08:11, Frank Grimes said:
Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
LudoNo1
Ziggy
AH13STU
DiegoDiegoPB
Purplekangaroo89
madwullie
Cardinalrichie
Strachanovski
RicheyEdwards

Round 17

LudoNo1 v RicheyEdwards 

Purplekangaroo89 v AH13STU 

Ziggy_The_Spider v DiegoDiegoPB 

gkneil v Strachanovski

madwullie v CardinalRichie 

Round 18

AH13STU v LudoNo1 

DiegoDiegoPB v RicheyEdwards 

Strachanovski v Purplekangaroo89 

CardinalRichie v Ziggy_The_Spider

madwullie v gkneil 

You've missed out poor gkneil in the table mate

@Frank Grimes with @Eednud giving up his place and more folks earlier on in the thread looking to join in the up coming season, will they all join Division C? 

I just feel a lot of us folks maybe stuck down there if these newbies play like @DeeTillEhDeh, @Ludo*1 or @Henderson to deliver ......

I know it's the fairest way I guess, but would you consider a 4th tier for newbies if there is enough of them?

Aye let’s see what the lay of the land is before the new season starts 

If there are enough teams for a Division D and some in Division C want to drop a tier or stay where they are depending on who signs up I’m happy with that 

Edited by Frank Grimes

32 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

@Frank Grimes with @Eednud giving up his place and more folks earlier on in the thread looking to join in the up coming season, will they all join Division C? 

I just feel a lot of us folks maybe stuck down there if these newbies play like @DeeTillEhDeh, @Ludo*1 or @Henderson to deliver ......

I know it's the fairest way I guess, but would you consider a 4th tier for newbies if there is enough of them?

Wouldn't the fairest way be to count up the people joining next season, and allocate them into suitably sized divisions based on their previous standings in the league? If half of Division A drop out, it might be worthwhile promoting a few more from Division B, etc.

Well, well, well. This week ends my time in Division A.

A quick glance at the table will reveal that I have lost all 16 of my games thus far - and may well complete the Brechin City in the final two fixtures. A bruising experience.

However, I would like to pay tribute to all of my opponents - who have all been excellent competitors and gracious in victory. I couldn't have picked better people to lose at chess to.

Maybe I'll be back in the top tier at some point in the future. Until then, I'll send you a postcard from the seaside leagues.

Yer pal,

Richey.

8 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

@DeeTillEhDeh What is the caper with moving the King so early??

Never seen that before 

It's a meme move called the 'Bongcloud'.

It used to be considered the worst move you could make and you'd have to be high to make it. It's became a cult classic and Hikaru Nakamura has been using it in competitions recently to amuse his Twitch audience.

It reached it's peak when Magnus Carlsen played it against Hikaru in the most recent tournament. It's use leads to rage amongst chess 'purists'. Even Agadmator (the biggest chess youtuber) wasn't happy about it (It's only a 3 min video):

And finally, Hikaru's classic opening for his videos where he plays it:

And thus endeth the history lesson.

Edited by Ludo*1

Furthermore, I believe it was originally popularised by a guy that played chess online who had no intention of winning games. He just wanted to see if he could get his king from one end of the board to the other without being checkmated. Can't remember his name, but he was just a random guy not a GM or anything.

[mention=72581]Frank Grimes[/mention] with [mention=44974]Eednud[/mention] giving up his place and more folks earlier on in the thread looking to join in the up coming season, will they all join Division C? 
I just feel a lot of us folks maybe stuck down there if these newbies play like [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention], [mention=12782]Ludo*1[/mention] or [mention=69974]Henderson to deliver .....[/mention].
That would make sense.

And if someone does not want to get promoted they could choose not to go up.