P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

I thought it was a bit closer than that. I don't think I sussed the right opening moves for this particular setup, and your queen was aimed at the e2 pawn for most of the game, which that caused me a fair amount of anguish , especially after you broke open my kingside with the knight that fell into the fork. Lichess seems to think you had 3 inaccuracies and a blunder (the pawn fork) compared to my 3 inaccuracies.

As for 'traps', a lot of those were perfectly good threats that did a decent job of keeping me bottled in for a while, stopping me castling for fear of Qxe2 and having to keep an eye out for the mate threats in the backdoor. I never expect "traps" to work - I prefer to make threats that force the other guy to work around them in ways that help me win. If the opponent blunders a trap, it's a pleasant surprise.

I played a few 960 warm-ups against randoms before the cup last season and remember that pointing an early threat at the king can be devastating. But I quickly realised that I had already lost the battle for the middle and there was no way back. Those bishops were going to kill me. I'd been watching out for the pawn fork for several moves, it was stopping me bringing the other knight out, so I was really annoyed at myself when I shoved the bishop there instead.

I don't know if traps is the right word for what I was doing after that - more like creating situations in which a mistake would be fatal. Trying to get back in the game with one swing rather than trying to develop. From the pawn fork I wanted to save the bishop and I realised I could lose the knight at a cost for you of opening up the pawns on your kingside, but you might blunder and take the bishop leading straight to checkmate. Lots of folk at my level fail to spot the queen on the side and walk into that, but nobody at your level makes that mistake.

I did the rook trade so that your king would have to move and you wouldn't be able to castle, so making Qa8# as a possibility. If you'd fallen for the en passant I offered it was absolutely on, but again, no-one at your level falls for that.

I was watching for that check reveal on my queen but I took my second move quickly and blew it. The engine is mad if it doesn't call that a blunder, I choked the queen FFS.

So yeah, bad strategy from the start and two stupid mistakes made it a bad game for me. 

Have to ask... did you replay that game on Lichess?

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I did the rook trade so that your king would have to move and you wouldn't be able to castle, so making Qa8# as a possibility. If you'd fallen for the en passant I offered it was absolutely on, but again, no-one at your level falls for that.

Heh, I was annoyed at that. I was expecting you to scurry the queen away first and let me be the guy initiating the rook swap, so I could castle in peace, but you beat me to it!

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

So yeah, bad strategy from the start and two stupid mistakes made it a bad game for me. 

Have to ask... did you replay that game on Lichess?

Nah. Just downloaded the .pgn to my local drive (I keep them around to analyse locally, since chess.com restricts me to one per day and someday I intend to script up something in python that goes through them all and tells me what moves I blunder most in) but since scid doesn't like chess960 and I didn't see a bright green 'analysis' button on chess.com when the game ended, I used the lichess game import function to get me the analysis.

20 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Nah. Just downloaded the .pgn to my local drive (I keep them around to analyse locally, since chess.com restricts me to one per day and someday I intend to script up something in python that goes through them all and tells me what moves I blunder most in) but since scid doesn't like chess960 and I didn't see a bright green 'analysis' button on chess.com when the game ended, I used the lichess game import function to get me the analysis.

I like that you think I know what these things mean.

In case anyone missed this in the madwullie thread.

My final post in this thread is just to say thank you to so many of you for being so very generous. Unless any more donations come in, the final total comes in at a few pence shy of £4,200. That is a phenomenal amount and will help lots of other young people who have life-threatening illnesses.
A significant proportion of that total comes from you guys yet to the best of my knowledge, none of you ever met him. It is the mark of both madwullie and you guys that you can achieve something like this.
His funeral was last week and it was and continues to be a difficult time, especially for his wife and kids. But both she and I are touched and more than a little humbled by all your kind messages and donations.
Thank you. 
Richie x

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If he's got a snake that tells him when he's blundered it's no wonder he's pretty good.

Doesn’t everyone?  Mine is called Jake.

Division A
P
W
L
D
Pts
Elrohan
Dearyme
beef2711
ChessBassGuitar
Ziggy
GordonEF
Purplekangaroo89
AH13STU
Bri1962
gkneil
PnBMathematics

Round 19

beef2711 v AH13STU 

PnB Mathematics v gkneil 

Purplekangaroo89 v GordonEF 

Dearyme v Ziggy_The_Spider

Chess Bass Guitar v bri1962

Round 20

gkneil v Elrohana

AH13STU v Purplekangaroo89 

Ziggy_The_Spider v PnB Mathematics 

GordonEF v Chess Bass Guitar 

Bri1962 v Dearyme 

Division B
P
W
L
D
Pts
GCarlos9
Board_Stupid
eindhovendee
Strachanovski
Arabjoe
RicheyEdwards
Cardinalrichie
NotThePars
hammysgp
topcateh3

Round 19

Strachanovski v Arabjoe 

Cardinalrichie v Board_Stupid

topcateh3 v NotThePars

hammysgetinpumped v eindhovendee 

Round 20

Arabjoe v CardinalRichie 

NotThePars v GCarlos9

Board_Stupid v hammysgetinpumped 

eindhovendee v topcateh3 

Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
AimHere
GordonS496
invergowrie
markf268
pleslie999
Dandies1983
mackieboz
Johnnydun418
cols407
DieHardDoonhamer
RBWatson

Round 19

GordonS496 v markf268 

RBWatson v invergowrie 

mackieboz v AimHere

cols407 v Dandies1983

DieHardDoonhamer v Johnnydun418 

Round 20

invergowrie v pleslie999

markf268 v mackieboz

Dandies1983 v RBWatson

AimHere v DieHardDoonhamer

Johnnydun418 v cols407

11 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:
Division C
P
W
L
D
Pts
AimHere
GordonS496
invergowrie
markf268
pleslie999
Dandies1983
mackieboz
Johnnydun418
cols407
DieHardDoonhamer
RBWatson

At the risk of causing GordonS even more anguish in a short space of time, are you sure that he's played 18 games? At the end of Round 18, everybody should have played at most 16 or 17, since we only play 10 games in rounds 1-11, and we only play 6 or 7 in the next 7 rounds. Also I reckon this phantom game was a win, since he lost his game against me in Round 18 and I was 3 points clear of him before then.

Edited by Aim Here

@Frank Grimes

I think you have an extra draw in for me. My results are 10W, 2L & 3D 33 points

Losses were Elrohan & Beef2711

Draws were Elrohan, Beef2711 & ChessBassGuitar.

Edit - I've put my chess.com results as a screenshot and hidden the non P&B league results below.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210621-164253_Chess.thumb.jpg.eddb7735efb7a63314d24474e9b4d0f9.jpg 

Edited by Trogdor

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

@Frank Grimes

I think you have an extra draw in for me which was a win. My results are 11W, 2L & 3D 36 points

Losses were Elrohan & Beef2711

Draws were Elrohan, Beef2711 & ChessBassGuitar.

Edit - I've put my chess.com results as a screenshot and hidden the non P&B league results below.

Hide contents

Screenshot_20210621-164253_Chess.thumb.jpg.61374ad1b19577621dc9683de0b69497.jpg 

How do you set it up so you can see your % on that screen?

I have sent my invite out for this weeks league game.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

How do you set it up so you can see your % on that screen?

I have sent my invite out for this weeks league game.

I think it must be the default on the android app. I clicked games archive then clicked search at top right and then clicked daily and then search in the green box.

Incidentally, I made an arse of the results there as I realised I had played ChessBassGuitar three times, the first being a friendly.