P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

55 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

It's bringing back memories of the 18-19 league season. It starts off all fun and games before the reality check half way through the season.

GCarlos was always in front while I was waiting to capitalise on a mistake that never arrived.

Well played.

I think you let me advance with my pawns a bit too much.  They are quite harmless but managed to pin you back.  The game thinks I made a mistake taking your rook for the cost of my bishop.  I must be daft as I’d do that all the time.

Good game and I think you’ll do better with the white advantage next time.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

@Loki you're like a juggernaut at the moment. 

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I’ve been fortunate Eindhoven Dee blundered his Queen against me and I accidentally pinned board stupid in a corner. 

Ive lost three out of five to you, twice to Beef, and lost when I played AH13Stu so maybe not quite ready for the top league yet.

Although unbeaten since I bought my Lewis Chessmen board 😂

47 minutes ago, Loki said:

Ive lost three out of five to you, twice to Beef, and lost when I played AH13Stu so maybe not quite ready for the top league yet.

Although unbeaten since I bought my Lewis Chessmen board 😂

I'm playing both of those fine gentlemen with white as we speak. 2 Grunfelds. Both just played b6 as well on move 12 and 17 (so not exactly the same positions). 

I don't actually have a Lewis Chessmen board. I've got a pretty good Game of Thrones themed one with a wooden table board that's got "When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die" etched on the edge of the board. Unfortunately, it lives in a big box as my kids are too young not to touch it! 

I think you're ready for the top league tbh.

10 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I'm playing both of those fine gentlemen with white as we speak. 2 Grunfelds. Both just played b6 as well on move 12 and 17 (so not exactly the same positions). 

I don't actually have a Lewis Chessmen board. I've got a pretty good Game of Thrones themed one with a wooden table board that's got "When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die" etched on the edge of the board. Unfortunately, it lives in a big box as my kids are too young not to touch it! 

I think you're ready for the top league tbh.

I looked at your previous games as white and noticed you almost always play d4 and the queens gambit or at least a very early c4. Decided to try something a bit different and spent an hour or so looking at a few things as I usually just kind of wing it or play a symmetrical game against d4.

I had a Simpsons chess board, but f**k knows what I've done with it, so I'm digital, or on a wee travel set.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Me playing moves in four games this morning...

Hide contents

DEBSrGR.gif

You could win 50% of these. 

We could all win half our games every week, or draw both if we played them simultaneously, making the moves that both opponents are making, so they are essentially playing each other via you.

I'm sure I watch a Derren Brown thing about this.

I did.....

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

We could all win half our games every week, or draw both if we played them simultaneously, making the moves that both opponents are making, so they are essentially playing each other via you.

I did.....

This actually happened back in the day, when they used to play correspondence chess via mail. A guy played 2 Grandmasters at the same time using the others moves. Think one was Alekhine.

He only got caught by chance when the 2 GM's had a casual chat at a tournament one day.

20 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I did.....

Might give that a go.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I looked at your previous games as white and noticed you almost always play d4 and the queens gambit or at least a very early c4. Decided to try something a bit different and spent an hour or so looking at a few things as I usually just kind of wing it or play a symmetrical game against d4.

I had a Simpsons chess board, but f**k knows what I've done with it, so I'm digital, or on a wee travel set.

I've been mostly playing the same openings for a while and I suspect some folk are catching on. Might try and add one or two more openings to my repertoire.

4 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It is a good choice. Grunfeld is very dynamic and White doesn't get their own way initially.

As white, I almost always open d4 c4 Nc3 irrespective of what black does. Need to start playing g4 or the like. 🤪

Division C Round 11, GordonS469 beats DieHardDoonhamer.

I think that's the third weird game we've had - you were nearly through on my right side.

I was in deep trouble when I miscalculated that exchange - when your queen's the last in a chain and he adds a rook, that's not going to go well. I had to let a rook die and throw a Hail Mary up the pretty undefended kingside, which just came off. Another game in which I was solid, then had my arse hanging out, then scrabbled a win. Starting to be a pattern, I think it's impatience. 

On 20/05/2021 at 20:05, Frank Grimes said:

Division B 

Round 11

hammysgetinpumped v Strachanovski

RicheyEdwards v eindhovendee 

topcateh3 v Arabjoe 

GCarlos9 v Board_Stupid

Round 12

hammysgetinpumped v CardinalRichie 

topcateh3 v Strachanovski

RicheyEdwards v Board_Stupid

GCarlos9 v Arabjoe 

I've not got any games bro

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Division C Round 11

Pleslie999 defeats Johnnydun418 by resignation.

Once I made that total balls up with my Rook, I really had nothing left. Good game @pleslie99.

Cheers, was a really Good game. You had me under a lot of pressure on my king side and 1 wrong move would've seen me mated on a number of occasions. I was trying to trade queen's on numerous occasions which you weren't having as I couldn't see a way out lol once you lost your second rook it was gonna be tough. Amazingly the analysis says I made 0 blunders which is probably a 1st for me, I also made 0 best moves apparently lol 

Division C, Round 12

pleslie999 beats AimHere by resignation.

I don't know what changed in the last few weeks, but this was a very different pleslie999 from the one I played in round 1. After taking advantage of one quiet little positional error, I felt like I was slowly being strangled by a boa constrictor while waiting for that one mistake that might give me an opportunity to recover. Alas, it was me that ended up blundering and there was no way back after throwing my rook away. I'm not sure I'm qualified to judge, but it felt like super-solid play for this level. That's a scary level of improvement. Well played!

Edited by Aim Here

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 11, GordonS469 beats DieHardDoonhamer.

I think that's the third weird game we've had - you were nearly through on my right side.

I was in deep trouble when I miscalculated that exchange - when your queen's the last in a chain and he adds a rook, that's not going to go well. I had to let a rook die and throw a Hail Mary up the pretty undefended kingside, which just came off. Another game in which I was solid, then had my arse hanging out, then scrabbled a win. Starting to be a pattern, I think it's impatience. 

A really frustrating one for me, where once again I hit confirm on the move too quickly, only to see my fate laid out in front of me a second later. Well played.