P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

3 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Thanks for all the interest in the new season

Will probably be a few weeks until I can get it up and running as I’m busy AF and will need to look at the leagues properly 

Bear with me :) 

I, for one, am looking forward to getting put out of next seasons cup by a Junior league opponent.

On 19/07/2021 at 22:38, Frank Grimes said:

Just one cup game to go then we can draw the semis 

Before we crack on with play offs it might be time for some impromptu LEAGUE CONSTRUCTION!!!

Does everyone want to compete in season 3?

Let me ken if you’re in or oot 

I'm in.

Also open for pre-season friendlies, so if anyone is at a loose end then add me - Arabjoe.

Madwullie Cup Semi Final result

Dearyme gets absolutely horsed by Eindhovendee.

I never managed to castle and got roundly pummelled. The Queen on f8 was a real pain in the backside. I never got it developed and suffered very badly for it. I ended up playing it to g8 and h7. Eindhovendee never let up and proceeded to grind me into dust. Well played.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Madwullie Cup Semi Final result

Dearyme gets absolutely horsed by Eindhovendee.

I never managed to castle and got roundly pummelled. The Queen on f8 was a real pain in the backside. I never got it developed and suffered very badly for it. I ended up playing it to g8 and h7. Eindhovendee never let up and proceeded to grind me into dust. Well played.

Thanks, I was always waiting on your Queen appearing but she didn't show and you had an abandoned Bishop that had me wondering what it was up to.

Strange game, still not sure if I like the format.

On 20/07/2021 at 07:34, Frank Grimes said:

Consider me intrigued 

@Aim Here provided a much more elegant solution (below) than the ham-fisted way I was approaching it. Blatantly plagiarising Borrowing heavily from the sheet he's linked to, I created this and trawled through the thread updating it with last seasons results to test it. Div C is correct, but I missed some results in Divs A&B and CBA going back through to find them so I made them up.

On 20/07/2021 at 00:10, Aim Here said:

I did something like that too as an exercise. If you generate a fixture list and put the player names/fixtures in the right place, it's just a case of putting in the results in when they come in and it immediately spits out the league table, so the main drudgery is reading the forum and updating the results. The round robin fixture algorithm is not really suitable for the spreadsheet idiom, so I generate it with a python program. Making something like this public-readable allows folks to check which of their fixtures have been missed if there's a mistake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vKT8OMsWf4tKrntbcgfv9_gdLeSjioYkX2GA54aSgu4

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

@Aim Here provided a much more elegant solution (below) than the ham-fisted way I was approaching it. Blatantly plagiarising Borrowing heavily from the sheet he's linked to, I created this and trawled through the thread updating it with last seasons results to test it. Div C is correct, but I missed some results in Divs A&B and CBA going back through to find them so I made them up.

Any reason why you didn't use Data Validation in the 'Results' column in the Fixtures sheet?

The reason I put it in my version is to visually flag up if the user makes a typo so they don't have to hunt through the entire list looking for that one cell where they previously typoed 'Hmoe' or whatever - there's a red 'error' marker in the corner. The user might prefer the optional drop-down menu too. If you had a reason for taking it out, it's fine - I'm just curious why you'd take it out, if it was intentional.

I’ve been playing round robin tournaments on Chess.com, I managed to clock up 20 wins on the bounce before the run was ended by Pleslie999.

I’m in the huff so I’m no playing him again.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Any reason why you didn't use Data Validation in the 'Results' column in the Fixtures sheet?

The reason I put it in my version is to visually flag up if the user makes a typo so they don't have to hunt through the entire list looking for that one cell where they previously typoed 'Hmoe' or whatever - there's a red 'error' marker in the corner. The user might prefer the optional drop-down menu too. If you had a reason for taking it out, it's fine - I'm just curious why you'd take it out, if it was intentional.

I did have it in (drop down menu and all); I copied the data across into a Sheet in a new Google account and didn't notice it hadn't pulled that through as well.

Are we playing this final any time soon [mention=72581]Frank Grimes[/mention] and [mention=43274]keptie[/mention] or will it be a curtain raiser for next season?

Who is at home (White) ?
I don't know how it is decided who plays which colour or if Frank just draws it.

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

@eindhovendeeaggio  wins the cup v Bri1962 by resignation.congratulations. I started ok but made a mistake facing off the Queens and came out of that move badly and eventually got overrun by eindhoven. well played cup winner.

Thanks, very interesting game...right has there been any football today? 😎

Edited by eindhovendeeaggio
spelling