P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I've played my first black move - I also checked your profile - the game is showing there.

PM if you still can't see it and I'll invite again.

Yeah it's back on feck knows what happened there, thought you were crapping it 😁

In other news Bri1962 defeats (yes defeats) beef2711 by resignation in Division A.

32 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

If you're at all in doubt, you shouldn't resign. Unless you're absolutely, positively, definitely, 100% sure that the other guy won't ever blunder you back into at least a drawn position, you should hang in there and make the him or her prove they can checkmate you. At the sort of level you and I play at, it's far from impossible to come back from "losing" positions, though at some point you may have to change your mindset from 'can I win?' to 'can I get a repetition draw?', and then at some other point from 'is there a perpetual check?' to 'how can I best throw away all my movable pieces and engineer a stalemate?'.  The worst case scenario for not resigning is you get a bit of practice at trying to battle out unfavourable positions - and you'll end up being better placed to judge which positions really are or aren't completely unsalvageable.

Us lower level chess scrubs like to pretend that resigning makes us more like proper clever chess players because we see the Carlsens and Caruanas and Kasparovs and whoever shaking hands and resigning over a board that looks, to our untrained eyes, like it's more or less even, but that's only because they know absolutely, for sure, that the other guy is simply never going to screw up hard enough. They're trained professionals. Don't try that at home.

Even at the very highest levels, there's cases where 'if in doubt, don't resign' applies. Here's someone refusing to resign in a well-known (if rather tricky) lost endgame against a former women's world chess champion, and actually getting a result, because the former world champion didn't know how to pull it off.

Very sage advice.  I blundered my Queen in a league match last season, and it was just such a horrific blunder I just resigned.  I regretted it, as I should have made him work for his win.

The very next league game I did the exact same blunder, but as it was against a player that hadn’t won in the league I played on and won.  I am not going to resign at all anymore, just play on and if I get beat I get beat.

@eindhovendee I have offered a draw.  I’m pretty sure we are going to be playing another 20-30 moves in this game unless one of us blunders.  After tomorrow I’m not going to be able to commit to more than one or two moves a day.  If you want to see it out, just warning you that it will be very slow play for a week.

Just now, Loki said:

@eindhovendee I have offered a draw.  I’m pretty sure we are going to be playing another 20-30 moves in this game unless one of us blunders.  After tomorrow I’m not going to be able to commit to more than one or two moves a day.  If you want to see it out, just warning you that it will be very slow play for a week.

Sorry, was at work and didn't get in until after 9.

Think you would have only won or drawn, couldn't see myself getting back in without a major blunder by you, well done winning the league.

1 minute ago, eindhovendee said:

Sorry, was at work and didn't get in until after 9.

Think you would have only won or drawn, couldn't see myself getting back in without a major blunder by you, well done winning the league.

I think a draw was the more likely result anyway, thanks and hopefully you get up in the playoff too.

On 28/06/2021 at 18:24, ShaggysBeard said:

That's 8 now.

LLLLLLLLLLWWWWWWWW

Quite a season.

Thought I'd have a wee look at your games for some inspiration and realised how you have upped your game.

It might have something to do with the 442 live games in 12 weeks!

Well done bud, you're putting in the practice and it's showing in your play and results.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Thought I'd have a wee look at your games for some inspiration and realised how you have upped your game.

It might have something to do with the 442 live games in 12 weeks!

Well done bud, you're putting in the practice and it's showing in your play and results.

I'm torn with how useful these are. 5 mins lend itself to wee tricks and traps so play differently there to the day games, but certainly my forms gone right up. I think it's probably more down to getting used to taking my time over what I'm doing in the day games which I'd never played before this.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

50 minutes ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'm torn with how useful these are. 5 mins lend itself to wee tricks and traps so play differently there to the day games, but certainly my forms gone right up. I think it's probably more down to getting used to taking my time over what I'm doing in the day games which I'd never played before this.

After the early flush of enthusiasm had worn off I stopped playing any other chess than my games on here. Last week I thought I'd have a few 5 minute games, lost all 4, badly. I just couldn't think at that speed and I wasn't used to moving without being able to make practice moves. The two forms are surprisingly different but I think rapid and blitz are more useful for the daily games than the other way round, because at least you're seeing a lot of situations.

After the early flush of enthusiasm had worn off I stopped playing any other chess than my games on here. Last week I thought I'd have a few 5 minute games, lost all 4, badly. I just couldn't think at that speed and I wasn't used to moving without being able to make practice moves. The two forms are surprisingly different but I think rapid and blitz are more useful for the daily games than the other way round, because at least you're seeing a lot of situations.
I watched some 3 and one minute speed games the other day.

I couldn't play at the speed these guys play at.

I know a lot of the early moves will be quick because they are book moves - but if someone throws in an unexpected move then I need time to look at it.

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Johnnydun418 beats DieHardDoonhamer by resignation. 

A game I was well on top of for long spells, but let slip through my fingers. Really shouldn't have lost that one.

Good game @johnnydun

Yes, good game. An epic battle of 49 moves!

Elrohan beats Ziggy - resignation - a little bit early I thought even though I was a point up and positionally ahead.

I think he did, as I did, check out some possible lines - they all had me up due to the threat of Bc5 next move (threatening Queen and potential mate lines) - only way he could prevent it was taking the bishop with the rook - going 3pts down and still positionally in a bad way.

Two moves by him early on in the game put him in a weak position - see below.Screenshot_20210702-125501_Chess.jpg.54d122c3653128e1ce87da58af4d35c8.jpgScreenshot_20210702-130340_Chess.thumb.jpg.9a950e1ddc5a92013036a42521ce6ab0.jpgScreenshot_20210702-130324_Chess.thumb.jpg.e29165c114f38775c7331954c947cb63.jpg

Division C Round 21, mackieboz and GordonS496 draw. Thoroughly entertaining game again, swung back and forth, I was a rook v a knight up but pawns down when he lured me into a beautiful unavoidable fork. One of those "why's he done that, he knows I'll just take... ahhhhh." We were left with kings and 2 pawns v 3 pawns, but the 3 included a double pawn. 

Can one of the good players tell me why the engine sees this as an inaccuracy? I got trapped in exactly this position early in the first season so I thought I had played it right, but computer says no. Bishop takes the undefended outside pawn and I push the pawn inside it forward, leaving the king to pick it off. No?

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 17.24.03.png