P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

1 hour ago, true_rover said:

Was a good game - I felt I was in it more than the previous game against you, but little I could do about the move that won it.

It was taking the g7 pawn that was the mistake (Rg8 causes a world of pain no matter what you do), but it looks like such a natural, harmless followup to swiping f7 that I'd expect most of us seaside leaguers to take it. The engine is decidedly lukewarm on that whole sequence, which is annoying. I channel my inner Mikhail Tal and see what I think is a swashbuckling game-winning sacrifice from about 5 or 6 moves away (it was a factor in why I castled queenside) and the after-match game analysis board tells me "ackchewally, I think you'll find you were just making a big lucky mistake from move 11 onwards". Git!

Div A

gkneil beats ChessBassGuitar on time

Combination of me being snowed under at work and distracted by the football leads to me being a dozy bugger and not moving in time. Since my diary is looking worse, not better, over the rest of the week its probably for the best anyway. 

Tbf, you were much improved. The first 15 moves were all very good. I wasn't convinced by h3 and letting me take the pawn but the engine analysis says that is fine.
Bg5 was the error. Ng5 is better, as if Bxf1 (winning the exchange). You simply play Bf5+ (this means you win the Bishop on f1) and then after a king move you play Nxf7 winning a rook as you fork them on h8 and d8.
Good game, you are definitely improving. Keep at it.
I thought the same about PnBMathematics - definitely improved, especially in the opening exchanges.

On 03/06/2021 at 19:56, Frank Grimes said:

Division B - Round 15

Arabjoe v NotThePars

Arabjoe beats @NotThePars by checkmate. 

Good battle - 60ish moves over the course of a week.  You had a really strong Queen/Bishop duo down the left side which was causing me all sorts of problems, but I somehow managed to get a pawn promoted to Queen and that was enough to get the win.

Div A
gkneil beats ChessBassGuitar on time
Combination of me being snowed under at work and distracted by the football leads to me being a dozy bugger and not moving in time. Since my diary is looking worse, not better, over the rest of the week its probably for the best anyway. 
You were snowed under when you played me as well - I didn't think you were quite as on the ball as our previous match.

55 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think ours is going to go on for quite a bit yet.

Aye, it will for sure. I actually mouseslipped on e3 I meant to play d3! 🙈

Not loving my dark square bishop and my experimenting with 1.Nf3 was maybe a mistake.

Edited by Trogdor
f3 should have read Nf3

Aye, it will for sure. I actually mouseslipped on e3 I meant to play d3! [emoji85]
Not loving my dark square bishop and my experimenting with 1.Nf3 was maybe a mistake.

I did wonder about that.

When you played f3 it did look like you were playing the Nimzowitsch version of Larsen where he preferred to make the knight move first - and it proved so.

I'm personally not a fan of the Larsen opening - it's great against lower players but the further up you move it can cause yourself problems. That being said, Nakamura employs it a lot in his speed games - I suppose because when you are countering it you do need to think.

Can't do too much looking ahead in this game either as there are so many possible lines - but when you do follow a line the actual options each move are fairly limited for both of us.

Could be a long, long, game.

16 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

@eindhovendee defeats Strachanovski by check mate.

Great game m8, thought I had you at the end, but you played it perfect, enjoyed that. Cheers.

Thank you.

Yep, good game, looked like you were on top then you moved your Knight backwards when you'd have been better keeping up the attack.

4 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Yep, good game, looked like you were on top then you moved your Knight backwards when you'd have been better keeping up the attack.

Division B, Board_stupid defeats @arab_joe by resignation.

Another tight game between us. Pinching a rook proved to be the difference with the other pieces subsequently traded off the board.

Joe's pawn charge near the end nearly turned it round, but just came up slightly short.

Bri1962 and AH13STU draw by agreement in Division A, a lot of dancing about but going nowhere at the end with 3 pawns and a knight each so just called it a day. A pretty tight game all the way through, good game mate.

@LeicesterlichtieSee we've got each other in the cup as well so  another battle of the Lichties to look forward to.

3 hours ago, keptie said:

Bri1962 and AH13STU draw by agreement in Division A, a lot of dancing about but going nowhere at the end with 3 pawns and a knight each so just called it a day. A pretty tight game all the way through, good game mate.

@LeicesterlichtieSee we've got each other in the cup as well so  another battle of the Lichties to look forward to.

Could be more like Carnoustie Panmure v Arbroath Vics. 😂