P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

4 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Happy with that after being pumped by Sav1876 in the first game. Screenshot_20210203-140543_Chess.jpeg

Yeah it's a harsh lesson for the boys. We were in good position and then young B Pawn has a rush of blood in the C channel, he goes chasing the knight and leaves his teammate exposed. They go and hit us on the break, get in behind us, we're out of shape from the attack and they finish us off. You can't make mistakes like that at this level and expect to get away with it, your Eindhovendees and your Beefy271s will punish you for that. But I don't want to point fingers, at the end of the day it's a team game and we weren't good enough. Fair play to Eindhovendee, they barely put a foot wrong in that second half and once they got on top they never let us back in the game.

That's twice now we've lost from good positions because of silly mistakes, and we'll need to learn to cut that out soon. At the end of the day this is a results-driven business and we need to get a win on the board before confidence dips any lower. The boys will need to decide if they're willing to put the work in to get us out of this position and we've got a couple of days before the next set of fixtures to get things right. But we're disappointed Chick, I'm no going to lie about it.

Edited by GordonS

Sorry to those who have offered me friendlies. I've got 4 games on the go at the moment, and that's three too many to keep track of! 

You'd think that watching all seven episodes of The Queen's Gambit some of it would rub off on me, but it appears the reverse is true. 

22 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Sorry to those who have offered me friendlies. I've got 4 games on the go at the moment, and that's three too many to keep track of! 

You'd think that watching all seven episodes of The Queen's Gambit some of it would rub off on me, but it appears the reverse is true. 

40 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I just won my first game against P&B opposition - albeit a friendly. Absolute scenes Jeff.

Good game. 

0_JS159647676.jpg

Well played, a game I always thought I was a move away from taking control, but you just kept coming at me. Deserved win.

30 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Well played, a game I always thought I was a move away from taking control, but you just kept coming at me. Deserved win.

Yeah, it was never a comfortable win for me and you could just have easily won that. Even during the endgame when I had the initative, I was only a misstep away from losing it.

It was a good game, and I very much enjoyed playing with you.

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

What did you think of it blud? 

6 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cardi - on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is losing to Fool's mate and 10 is Bobby Fischer winning on 35 boards at the same time - what is the standard like on here?

I'm sort-of tempted to join but haven't played competitive chess since 13th Motherwell Boys Brigade in about 1972.

8 hours ago, madwullie said:

What did you think of it blud? 

Aye, not bad. 

(I'm thinking of becoming a film critic btw)

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Cardi - on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is losing to Fool's mate and 10 is Bobby Fischer winning on 35 boards at the same time - what is the standard like on here?

I'm sort-of tempted to join but haven't played competitive chess since 13th Motherwell Boys Brigade in about 1972.

Er. Not sure why you're singling me out! I think most people, including myself, are in the same position as you - used to play it as a kid and have barely touched it since. Mind you, most folk won't have to go back to 1972 for their last game of chess! I've only played a few games - but I reckon most folk are good but pretty rusty - and that their 12 year old selves could beat them handsomely. 

And if you want the standard put on a scale, think Garry Kasparov getting his arse handed to him by Deep Blue, and still moaning about it 20 years later. 

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Get your name down for next season Kinci. Like the cardinal says, I suspect most of us are in the 'used to play a bit X years ago but have gotten rusty' category.

Edited by Gordon EF

6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Get your name down for next season Kinci. Like the cardinal says, I suspect most of us are in the 'used to play a bit X years ago but have gotten rusty' category.

My nine year old self would wipe the floor with me then cry after getting called a fat wee b*****d.