P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats Ziggy by resignation.

I quite enjoyed this game although it was a bit wild (tactical) for my tastes. There were numerous pins and threats throughout it and in the early stages I spent far too long calculating. I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same OTB with time pressure tbh.

In truth it was pretty tight apart from the last three moves where my passed h-pawn got to run up the board and was going to prove decisive.  A smidge annoyed with myself, in the below I played h5. Can anyone spot the better move? I hadn't even considered it.

Screenshot_20210703-185029_Chess.jpg

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A smidge annoyed with myself, in the below I played h5. Can anyone spot the better move? I hadn't even considered it.

First thought was c3.

Edited by Gordon EF

48 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Result

I quite enjoyed this game although it was a bit wild (tactical) for my tastes. There were numerous pins and threats throughout it and in the early stages I spent far too long calculating. I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same OTB with time pressure tbh.

In truth it was pretty tight apart from the last three moves where my passed h-pawn got to run up the board and was going to prove decisive.  A smidge annoyed with myself, in the below I played h5. Can anyone spot the better move? I hadn't even considered it.

Screenshot_20210703-185029_Chess.jpg

Bh3?

Although I'm quite happy for you to tell me why doing that would be completely idiotic.

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Bh3?

Although I'm quite happy for you to tell me why doing that would be completely idiotic.

Bh3 is correct.

I was fixated on getting the h pawn moving. I was following the old "passed pawns should always be pushed" maxim that I didn't even check for better moves. Hence my frustration.

h4 is still good but Bh3 is nice as it wins an exchange and can alleviate the pressure on f2 if Black wishes to hold the f7 pawn. It frees up White's f rook which is my worst piece. As its constantly under threat from a discovered attack and needs to hold my kingside together.

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

@keptie batters AH13STU in madwullie cup replay.

Well played pal, totally outsmarted me on how to play this setup.

Thanks, i kinda just went for it from the start after our tame first game and luckily it paid off.

In Division A Bri1962 defeats PnBMathematics by resignation, Good game bud. Division A is ridiculously tough you'll do much better next season.

3 minutes ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

You must be trying harder in our battles looking at your results from earlier in the day. 😂

Yeah i was getting hammered left right and centre i was just waiting for our game to explode in my face without me seeing it coming. You're top Lichtie in the league though.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

A bit harsh on yourself there mate. Understand your frustrations though, it was nip and tuck until then.

I thought I was doing alright but I just ran out of ideas, wasted a few moves, and then nonchalantly watched you promote a pawn. (as predicted).

It was still fun though, well played.

On 02/07/2021 at 13:05, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Elrohan beats Ziggy - resignation - a little bit early I thought even though I was a point up and positionally ahead.

I think he did, as I did, check out some possible lines - they all had me up due to the threat of Bc5 next move (threatening Queen and potential mate lines) - only way he could prevent it was taking the bishop with the rook - going 3pts down and still positionally in a bad way.

Two moves by him early on in the game put him in a weak position - see below.Screenshot_20210702-125501_Chess.jpg.54d122c3653128e1ce87da58af4d35c8.jpgScreenshot_20210702-130340_Chess.thumb.jpg.9a950e1ddc5a92013036a42521ce6ab0.jpgScreenshot_20210702-130324_Chess.thumb.jpg.e29165c114f38775c7331954c947cb63.jpg

An absolutely awful game for me. Skelped.

Well played, and very well done over the entire season. Worthy winner.

Division A Result
Screenshot_20210703-185029_Chess.thumb.jpg.91b2405701eb3218adb70e8cec9ff05b.jpg
I'm usually conscious of pins (both for me and for the opponent - as @keptie will tell you from today's exchanges) - the rook pinned to the King on the h3-c8 diagonal yelled for Bh3 - puts you 2 pts up and at the same time relieves pressure on the d-file as the opponent can no longer line up his rooks and Queen to attack your rooks.

An absolutely awful game for me. Skelped.

Well played, and very well done over the entire season. Worthy winner.

I wouldn't say skelped - like our previous game you had threats that I to be very careful with.

I think the attack on your a7 pawn by my rook caught you off guard - you realised that I could take your rook after checking the King but missed the less obvious counterattack with your own Queen that could have put an uncomfortable bit of pressure on my King if I dived in and gone straight the check/take rook option.

On 28/06/2021 at 21:14, Frank Grimes said:

Division B, Round 21

hammysgetinpumped v Arabjoe 

Arabjoe beats hammysgetinpumped by checkmate.

Not much in the game, at all, but I managed to get my Queen into a dangerous spot that ruffled feathers and allowed me to get the win.  Good game.

That is my final game of the season - thank you @Frank Grimes for organising another excellent seasona; bring on the next one!!

Division C Round 22, GordonS496 defeats DieHardDoonhamer. The mistake that opened the door IMO was opening a line straight from your queen to mine, which meant I could trade them and stop you from being able to castle. You maybe resigned a wee bit early, I could easily have blundered a piece or two, though I appreciate it wasn't a good looking board from your side by then.

That's the season finished for me, much more enjoyable than the first season because I took a better attitude to the games. I think I got promoted so I'll try to embrace the many severe hidings next season. Thanks against to Frank for organising, if you set up a Kofi or something I would very happily buy you a beer. And let us know what we could do to help.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Division C Round 22, GordonS496 defeats DieHardDoonhamer. The mistake that opened the door IMO was opening a line straight from your queen to mine, which meant I could trade them and stop you from being able to castle. You maybe resigned a wee bit early, I could easily have blundered a piece or two, though I appreciate it wasn't a good looking board from your side by then.

That's the season finished for me, much more enjoyable than the first season because I took a better attitude to the games. I think I got promoted so I'll try to embrace the many severe hidings next season. Thanks against to Frank for organising, if you set up a Kofi or something I would very happily buy you a beer. And let us know what we could do to help.

Yeah, the trading of queens was a deliberate experiment, however not a well advised one. Earlier in the season I'd have played on further, tbh, but with nothing to play for I didn't see much value in continuing. Well played. 

9 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Beef2771 beats AH13STU following a depressing own goal. Can't wait for seasons end.

Very unlucky as you had the edge in this one until the error.

Delighted with the win mind as I've been utter dogshit for weeks now. Just can't seem to see the patterns atm. Looking forward to the end of the season.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Last season’s Division C was an exceptionally difficult league with three of the teams likely to be in Division A next season.  GParsfan was also a really good player also.

Edited by Loki