P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

35 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

NotThePars defeats Strachanovski by checkmate.

6 moves. Don’t think I’ll ever replicate that again.

Well played, an absolute embarrassment from me, not feeling well but that's no excuse.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

NotThePars defeats Strachanovski by checkmate.

6 moves. Don’t think I’ll ever replicate that again.

That result puts me down instead of yourself.

Well played. You had the better of me over our two games, so deserve to stay up instead of me.

That result puts me down instead of yourself.
Well played. You had the better of me over our two games, so deserve to stay up instead of me.

I think there’s been a miscount on my wins anyway but suppose it was nice to put it beyond doubt. I enjoyed our games though and will likely be playing you again in the future!

Well played, an absolute embarrassment from me, not feeling well but that's no excuse.
Thank you.

Was a good feeling especially since I felt I was always just lagging behind the original match. Looking forward to playing again next season for sure.

Division A

GordonEF beats DearyMe by time out

Last game of the season for me. @Trogdor was ahead but ran out of time. Only 2 points in it as he forced me into a rook for bishop exchange but I felt the game slipping away from me. After a pretty solid start, DearyMe was playing some typically ruthless chess. I still had my bishop pair but i was struggling to see a way to get them into threatening positions.

23 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Division A

GordonEF beats DearyMe by time out

Last game of the season for me. @Trogdor was ahead but ran out of time. Only 2 points in it as he forced me into a rook for bishop exchange but I felt the game slipping away from me. After a pretty solid start, DearyMe was playing some typically ruthless chess. I still had my bishop pair but i was struggling to see a way to get them into threatening positions.

Apologies for that, I've been swamped at work today and misread the time remaining at lunch time. It's actually not the clearest position at the end up tbh. Hence I spent too long thinking.

Screenshot_20210714-201538_Chess.jpg

16 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Apologies for that, I've been swamped at work today and misread the time remaining at lunch time. It's actually not the clearest position at the end up tbh. Hence I spent too long thinking.

Screenshot_20210714-201538_Chess.jpg

It's amazing how much less scary a game can look from the other side. I'm looking from my side thinking I don't really see a way to get at you. Looking from yours, a way for you to get at me doesn't seem so obvious either.

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's amazing how much less scary a game can look from the other side. I'm looking from my side thinking I don't really see a way to get at you. Looking from yours, a way for you to get at me doesn't seem so obvious either.

Yeah, its weird. Your black square bishop has actually become a really good piece.

My plan has to be to try and force some exchanges and then have a winning endgame. However, you're not just going to let me do that. I also have to watch the Qd1+ threat.

I was toying with Qe1 then Rd2 to take the d file. However, you can play something like Bh6 which is annoying which prevents Rd2. That's what I was considering, white is better but it's hard to convert.

The Bishop pair is annoying and my Knight is on the edge of the board doing nothing. I was looking at getting my Knight to a better square as well - Nb2 then Nc4 or Nd3?

That's partly why I ran out of time. 

madwullie cup, AimHere versus Bri1962

A mistake in calculating an attack up the A-file meant I gave away two pawns for nothing and that was enough to keep me on the backfoot into the endgame. I decided on a couple of wild, desperate sacrifices to try to queen a  pawn but Bri was solid enough to never give me anything to work with (and I'm gratified that the engine actually liked the sacrifices, unlike a lot of my other moves). I thought it was a good game.

Oh well, there's always next season...

Bri1962 beats AimHere by resignation

Edited by Aim Here

29 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

madwullie cup, AimHere versus Bri1962

A mistake in calculating an attack up the A-file meant I gave away two pawns for nothing and that was enough to keep me on the backfoot into the endgame. I decided on a couple of wild, desperate sacrifices to try to queen a  pawn but Bri was solid enough to never give me anything to work with (and I'm gratified that the engine actually liked the sacrifices, unlike a lot of my other moves). I thought it was a good game.

Oh well, there's always next season...

Bri1962 beats AimHere by resignation

Yeah thought it was a good game also. Even with the wee advantage i had i never felt comfortable at any point until the pawns you were trying too Queen were taken out.

On 11/07/2021 at 11:52, Leicesterlichtie said:

As far as I know beef and myself play in the Team Scotland matches.

I joined and was hoping to play against Sweden but my rating is making it look unlikely unless some more Swedes sign up.

On 15/07/2021 at 13:08, Trogdor said:

I was toying with Qe1 then Rd2 to take the d file. However, you can play something like Bh6 which is annoying which prevents Rd2. That's what I was considering, white is better but it's hard to convert.

Qe3 followed by Rd2 seems like a better way of doing the same thing. Also covers the c5 square which looks a decent destination for the knight. 

11 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Qe3 followed by Rd2 seems like a better way of doing the same thing. Also covers the c5 square which looks a decent destination for the knight. 

Yeah, I did think of that but I don't like the idea of the black Queen getting onto c2. It may be one of those where the threat is worse than the execution. Maybe I can force the Queens off if Black goes in for that but not sure.

Edited by Trogdor