P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

21 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Can one of the good players tell me why the engine sees this as an inaccuracy? I got trapped in exactly this position early in the first season so I thought I had played it right, but computer says no. Bishop takes the undefended outside pawn and I push the pawn inside it forward, leaving the king to pick it off. No?

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 17.24.03.png

I don't think b6 is necessarily a bad move but it is worse than Qa6 because I think Qa6 means you take the bishop for nothing no matter what in your next move. He doesn't move it, you take it. He goes b8, king takes, b6, Queen or pawn takes, c5 bishop takes, d4 pawn takes.

With b6, you either keep the bishop trapped but on the board or waste a move and move the king to a more dangerous position to take it.

I don't know what the engine's criteria is for making a move an inaccuracy but I think it just means a certain amount worse than the best possible move.

Edited by Gordon EF

21 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Not claiming to be one of the good players but is it perhaps related to the number of moves and the then visibility of the king? 

That was my guess - he took the pawn on b6 on his way down so it cost me pretty much my king defence. But he was already in, and it got me a piece so I thought it was worth it.

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't think b6 is necessarily a bad move but it is worse than Qa6 because I think Qa6 means you take the bishop for nothing no matter what in your next move.

Ah that's it. Thanks.

I probably didn't see that move because I had been caught myself in a pawn trap like this so I just repeated what had happened to me. But every situation is different.

Edited by GordonS

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ah that's it. Thanks.

I probably didn't see that move because I had been caught myself in a pawn trap like this so I just repeated what had happened to me. But every situation is different.

I can't remember where I heard this line but it's a good one, "once you find a good move, look for a better one".

Division C Round 19, GordonS496 and markf268 draw.

It was predictable that after I said "draws are for wimps" I would immediately draw two games.

I thought I'd played alright but the computer let me know just how mistaken I was. 4 inaccuracies, 10 mistakes, 2 blunders and I offered the draw when I was 8 points up. I don't think I was really that much ahead though, it was king plus 3 pawns each and I had a bishop, but my pawns were on two columns facing his three, on the edge of the board. Unless one of us blew it, it was going to be stalemate.

Just my game against DieHardDoonhamer to go and that'll be the season finished for me.

It was predictable that after I said "draws are for wimps" I would immediately draw two games.
I thought I'd played alright but the computer let me know just how mistaken I was. 4 inaccuracies, 10 mistakes, 2 blunders and I offered the draw when I was 8 points up. I don't think I was really that much ahead though, it was king plus 3 pawns each and I had a bishop, but my pawns were on two columns facing his three, on the edge of the board. Unless one of us blew it, it was going to be stalemate.
Just my game against DieHardDoonhamer to go and that'll be the season finished for me.
Wimp.

Division C Round 21, mackieboz and GordonS496 draw. Thoroughly entertaining game again, swung back and forth, I was a rook v a knight up but pawns down when he lured me into a beautiful unavoidable fork. One of those "why's he done that, he knows I'll just take... ahhhhh." We were left with kings and 2 pawns v 3 pawns, but the 3 included a double pawn. 
One of the most enjoyable games I've played, some great moves (and errors!) that gave it a cup tie feel.

55 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Wimp.

I'm just getting practice in for joining the wimps in Division B.

24 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
2 hours ago, GordonS said:
Division C Round 21, mackieboz and GordonS496 draw. Thoroughly entertaining game again, swung back and forth, I was a rook v a knight up but pawns down when he lured me into a beautiful unavoidable fork. One of those "why's he done that, he knows I'll just take... ahhhhh." We were left with kings and 2 pawns v 3 pawns, but the 3 included a double pawn. 

One of the most enjoyable games I've played, some great moves (and errors!) that gave it a cup tie feel.

Early in the pre-season friendly we played I decided to change my approach to these games. I had been agonising over moves and beating myself up while losing. I realised that it could not matter less if I won or lost these games, the point is to enjoy them. You always play an open, varied, tricky, adventurous game and I decided I'd rather play like that than always try to find the objectively best move. It's not done any harm to my results and this season has been more fun that last. Most of my favourite games have been against you👍

24 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

In terms of draw count, you're already the biggest wimp in division C or B. You might need a bye into division A.

Those would be very short matches.

I see draws on here when half the pieces are still on the board. Stellaboz and I drew because we booted f**k out each other. When the chat includes the line "f**k you, horsey" you know you've been in a game.

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats Bri1962 by resignation.

I was saying to @keptie after the game that there wasn't too much in this.  It was a Scandinavian. With White castling kingside and Black castling queenside. Which made for a more imbalanced position. I managed to pick up Whites f1 rook for a Bishop slightly fortuitously  as Whites Queen was on e1 meaning the Rook couldn't move when attacked. I then got a big pin on a the White Knight on d2 with a Rook on d1 which meant White's pieces were pretty much fixed in defense. Allowing me to pick my moment to swap into a winning endgame.

Without picking up the exchange, I think it would have been an interesting battle.

Thanks for the game. Still got 3 on the go!

21 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Division A Result

Dearyme defeats Bri1962 by resignation.

I was saying to @keptie after the game that there wasn't too much in this.  It was a Scandinavian. With White castling kingside and Black castling queenside. Which made for a more imbalanced position. I managed to pick up Whites f1 rook for a Bishop slightly fortuitously  as Whites Queen was on e1 meaning the Rook couldn't move when attacked. I then got a big pin on a the White Knight on d2 with a Rook on d1 which meant White's pieces were pretty much fixed in defense. Allowing me to pick my moment to swap into a winning endgame.

Without picking up the exchange, I think it would have been an interesting battle.

Thanks for the game. Still got 3 on the go!

Yeah well played it was pretty comfy for you in the end. 

5 games on the go at once there 🤪 at least that's one less to worry about, silver linings and all that.

Division A

GordonEF beats PnBMathematics by resignation

Really enjoyed this one. Very open and attacking game. I got a bishop up fairly early but with both of us castling kingside @mathematics blasted apart my queenside to promote a pawn and get two queens on the board while I went through the middle, promoting the e pawn to also get a second queen. i was a rook and a pawn up at that point but the killer was that his king was trapped in the corner, surrounded by my pieces and not much help nearby. Still had to be on my toes not to accidentally walk into a checkmate near the end.

Elrohana beats Bri1962 resignation.

This was a classic game where the player who lost got into trouble by not castling the King and pushing the Queen out too early.

He didn't help by pushing his pawn inexplicably to b4 which made matters even more difficult.

Once I castled and moved my rook to the d-file he was having problems with simultaneous attacks on both his King and Queen.

Final position - I think there's a forced mate somewhere there (I'm sure the knight is key) but positionally and piecewise I would have been well ahead without finding it. I think there was an inevitable loss of his Queen if I didn't get the mate line.

I think that's my last game here - been fun - just waiting on DearyMe to pip me to the title if (or when) he wins the rest of his games.Screenshot_20210703-113758_Chess.jpg.759fd05c20be9be6357757c84a7cf917.jpgScreenshot_20210703-113902_Chess.jpg.16641b6afcfcc77b7f5638af04fd4f82.jpgScreenshot_20210703-114006_Chess.jpg.37ac97928814fae3947911e8cf0ca70e.jpg

Div A

ChessBassGuitar beats Bri1962 by resignation. 

Really enjoyable game (for me at least). Unfortunately Bri fell into an opening trap that I'd seen before on the black side and lost a piece for a pawn early on. However it was still looking like a bit of a slog and I was struggling to find a way to break through when he unfortunately terminally weakened his kingside giving me an attack that was either going to eat all his pieces or deliver mate. Thanks for the game! 

40 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Elrohana beats Bri1962 resignation.

This was a classic game where the player who lost got into trouble by not castling the King and pushing the Queen out too early.

He didn't help by pushing his pawn inexplicably to b4 which made matters even more difficult.

Once I castled and moved my rook to the d-file he was having problems with simultaneous attacks on both his King and Queen.

Final position - I think there's a forced mate somewhere there (I'm sure the knight is key) but positionally and piecewise I would have been well ahead without finding it. I think there was an inevitable loss of his Queen if I didn't get the mate line.

I think that's my last game here - been fun - just waiting on DearyMe to pip me to the title if (or when) he wins the rest of his games.Screenshot_20210703-113758_Chess.jpg.759fd05c20be9be6357757c84a7cf917.jpgScreenshot_20210703-113902_Chess.jpg.16641b6afcfcc77b7f5638af04fd4f82.jpgScreenshot_20210703-114006_Chess.jpg.37ac97928814fae3947911e8cf0ca70e.jpg

I do a lot of inexplicable thigs on a chess board, that's what makes it fun😀 Well played.

To cap a hat-trick of Saturday morning pumping's ChessBassGuitar defeats BRI1962 by resignation in Division A

2 minutes ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

Div A

ChessBassGuitar beats Bri1962 by resignation. 

Really enjoyable game (for me at least). Unfortunately Bri fell into an opening trap that I'd seen before on the black side and lost a piece for a pawn early on. However it was still looking like a bit of a slog and I was struggling to find a way to break through when he unfortunately terminally weakened his kingside giving me an attack that was either going to eat all his pieces or deliver mate. Thanks for the game! 

Once you snared me early on it was always gonna be a struggle and it was. First time i've had that opening played on me. Well played Uncle 

3 minutes ago, keptie said:

Once you snared me early on it was always gonna be a struggle and it was. First time i've had that opening played on me. Well played Uncle 

Thanks.

I play the Alekhine with black (Nf6 in response to e4) and I've messed up in pretty much every way possible so it was nice to be on the other side of it for once. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think that's my last game here - been fun - just waiting on DearyMe to pip me to the title if (or when) he wins the rest of his games.

I'm not sure I can pip you tbh. It was in my hands until you beat me. However, once I lost I was relying on a slip up which never came.

I have 3 games left.  From 17 games I have 12 wins, 3 draws 2 losses = 39 points. I can only reach 48 points (even if I win all).

Whilst you haven't lost a game. You are 15 wins and 5 draws (I think?) = 50 points.

I believe the title is yours my friend. Well deserved too. 👏

Good Game Handshake GIF by Gaming GIFs

Edited by Trogdor