P&B Chess League - Season 8 coming soon….

4 minutes ago, Scorge said:

It is, although the accuracy calculation can be an easy thing to get too hung up on. It's possible to beat higher rated players on around 70% and lose to lower rated players with around 92% (have done both). They are a good guide to 'optimum games' though like you say, and might point out common positional flaws. If you're an inconsistent intermediate player like I'd bracket myself  in, they can fluctuate wildly. Anyone consistently chalking over 93-95% will be a nightmare to beat as they are probably making the same moves that at least an 1800-2000 rated (possibly higher) computer would make against yo., I've stalemated the 1500 setting twice but been buggered by everything higher!.....

Aye, there's lots of ways for it to be a bit misleading. I've noticed your accuracy can take a massive dent if the computer has a total hard on for a particular move and you ignore it for long enough. It's screaming at you to play h6 and you're playing perfectly good moves and your accuracy ends up low.

It also depends who you're playing. I've seen it call a move an inaccuracy or only 'good' but then a move or two later it ends up delivering a game winning move. Maybe a very highly ranked player would have spotted what you were doing and punished it but most average players maybe won't.

You need be careful with computers and accuracy ratings - they make predictions that go awry against unorthodox players or those who don't follow the textbook moves.

Getting that perfect mate in 16 moves might be great but, if the alternative is a move to get the opponent's Queen in 5 moves, then that is better play IMHO.

55 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Talking about getting the action going - could you put in challenge to me so we can start our round 5 game?

I don't think it matters who gives the challenge as you can set pieces etc. I'm gonna be taking it easy tonight but I'll fire it through tomorrow morning, brother. 

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Well played. I thought I'd seen a counter to your tactic but failed to see another move ahead and lost my queen.

I spent quite a bit of time running a good few moves ahead as I was sure there'd be a trap or at least a point for you to even things up again. I was a tad worried that you'd get some action with your Rook down the B file but managed to cover it off pushing a pawn.

I'm delighted to have picked 1 win and 1 loss with 2 games using the black pieces. A bit disappointed I didn't get something from the the game with Ludo.

Edited by gkneil

You need be careful with computers and accuracy ratings - they make predictions that go awry against unorthodox players or those who don't follow the textbook moves

Watching the Champions Tour today you had Firouzja and Nakamura disagreeing with the engine's evaluation multiple times. Not just on a particular move but on who had the better position. If the best players in the world don't put much stock in the computer then I don't think there's much for the likes of us to worry about. Still worth analysing your matches, of course.

29 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

And in cup news, Ludo proves that ludo is not the only board game he's good at. :(

What did you do to deserve LudoNo1, AH13STU and Purplekangaroo89 in a single week.

If ever there was an example for the word oooooft.........

4 hours ago, Loki said:

I agree with this but there isn’t really a more inclusive way of playing a league.  It’s certainly difficult keeping concentration.  I could have finished my latest game twenty moves earlier, but a lapse caused that.

it’s the same for everyone, and for anyone new to the game I guess they are getting to take advantages of mistakes and getting the time to see their own mistakes to improve their game.

The daily format allows you just to make your moves when you get a spare ten minute window, so it certainly has advantages as well as the negatives.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting there are any changes to it, Frank's done a really good thing organising this and it's working well for most. I'd never played chess online before and it's something I'm sure I'll do regularly from now on, so I'm grateful for the inspiration to do that. 

If there's interest in a timed cup competition, where you agree a time with your opponent over the course of the week, I would help organise it. I'm sure most of us can be big boys and girls and find 20 minutes together. Something for after the big Beth Harmon Scottish Cup Final, maybe.

32 minutes ago, gkneil said:

What did you do to deserve LudoNo1, AH13STU and Purplekangaroo89 in a single week.

If ever there was an example for the word oooooft.........

Cheers for saying that GK. I thought my chess brain had upped and left, but it's good to know I was playing some big hitters!

On 13/02/2021 at 14:47, Ludo*1 said:

I thought I had a game all but sown up. Ziggy made a horrific blunder of his queen. 5 moves later he has my queen & king forked. :bairn

Div A week 6.

Ziggy_the_Spider fights back from queen down to draw with Ludo*1